DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic 3 Third Firmware update?

I keep forgetting that it is even there when flying! I got home after this job adjacent to the airport, read this thread, and thought - dang, I should have tried that telephoto camera to see if the ATC guys were waving to me...

HVAS220212w-257.jpg

The images I shared online have limited resolution. They are meant to look good only on the smaller screen, for license protection purpose.

Some of these images have passed through the review process by Getty Images editor, and made available for commercial licensing. The fact I could sell them means they are much more useful than "exploration purpose only".

Taken with the x5s, won’t bother trying to sell them as photos such as these aren’t worth the time it would take me to upload them. Think I haven’t seen the quality of photo that explore camera gives on a 15” screen, scrap.

Reactions: redserv
The thing that gets me with people nowadays. First off, no one forced anyone to buy the Mavic 3 with all its faults. is it a perfect drone? no it aint. If you not satisfied with the product then your free to sell it. if you decide you want to keep it then dont complain. This is not just limited to drones. We buy many things in life that companies promise the world to us and they never deliver. so whats new, get over it people. We all have choices to make in life, this is no different.

But in this case, they can and will make it better over time with updates. And I'm looking forward to it :)

DJI hasn't announced anything yet. But here is a bucket list of things I wish they would fix/add for the next update:

- fix slow satellite acquisition;
- add RAW support for telephoto camera;
- add manual exposure control for telephoto camera;
- add a new lens profile in DNG files captured by the ultra-wide lens.
- add "tripod mode".
And way points

Reactions: burtba
Here are some images I shot with that "crappy sensor". Please take a look, and decide yourself, are these images only good for "exploration" purpose?

I don't judge the quality of the sensor by price, or by some company propaganda. A sensor is a just a means to an end. To me, it is "good enough" to unleash my creative potential. If DJI add RAW support in the next update, that would make it even better.
I agree, I wouldn’t complain if they add raw to the telephoto camera in the next update.

The thing that gets me with people nowadays. First off, no one forced anyone to buy the Mavic 3 with all its faults. is it a perfect drone? no it aint. If you not satisfied with the product then your free to sell it. if you decide you want to keep it then dont complain. This is not just limited to drones. We buy many things in life that companies promise the world to us and they never deliver. so whats new, get over it people. We all have choices to make in life, this is no different.
This forum, in current times, seems to have morphed from information sharing to Drone bashing, and in some cases, member bashing (God forbid someone disagrees with your thought).

DJI hasn't announced anything yet. But here is a bucket list of things I wish they would fix/add for the next update:

- add "tripod mode".
And add support for Wide Angle Lens hyperlapse please. It works while stationary so why not while in the air..

This forum, in current times, seems to have morphed from information sharing to Drone bashing, and in some cases, member bashing (God forbid someone disagrees with your thought).
The recent release of the M3 may have increased some of those, but on the whole, I think the positive posts outpace the negative behavior here by at least a 10-1 margin. You should see some of the forums I visit...then hastily depart.
I continue to get more good and valuable information here than any other site (drone or otherwise).

Reactions: Greenflash
I, for one, am delighted with my Mavic 3, but do expect another tweak to the firmware. Based upon my experience as an engineering manager who worked extensively with Chinese suppliers, I don’t expect that anyone at DJI in China was compelled to work through Chinese New Year. I will patiently wait, glad that it works as well as it does as I wait.

I would like the quicker satellite lock and a fix for the severe “hula hooping” instability that I experienced with active track. When it comes to waypoints I will wait for the SDK to be released so that Litchi can make that available.

I, for one, am delighted with my Mavic 3, but do expect another tweak to the firmware. Based upon my experience as an engineering manager who worked extensively with Chinese suppliers, I don’t expect that anyone at DJI in China was compelled to work through Chinese New Year. I will patiently wait, glad that it works as well as it does as I wait.

I would like the quicker satellite lock and a fix for the severe “hula hooping” instability that I experienced with active track. When it comes to waypoints I will wait for the SDK to be released so that Litchi can make that available.
@JoelP I agree with you 100%! I really enjoy flying the M3 and the cameras do everything that I need (and then some) for my business. I flew the Air2S since release day, and the Air2 before that- and loved them both. Despite having to wait a few minutes for satellite lock (and expecting further tweaks to the flying mechanics) I feel like the M3 was a step up for me in every regard... every time I fly it.

I agree. Maybe I’m biased against the younger millennial-aged people (30yo’s) who seem to lack adequate social skills, most likely due to being raised solely on unsocial media sites. Now just stand back and let’s see what happens!

Totally agreed, even some of the older heads surprise me at times.

Reactions: burtba
It's just sour grapes by those that can't afford to own the Mavic 3 and its admittedly pricey RC-Pro Controller. 🤣 They enjoy taking potshots at it to make themselves feel better about flying an inferior drone!

Just odd that you would want Raw from a crappy $20 sensor is all. DJI made it clear that sensor is not meant for anything usable other then exploring the surrounding area for neat spots to fly to. I pretty much ignore the fact it’s even there.
I wasn't aware that was the purpose of the telephoto. But I agree with you there is no point having RAW for it as the quality is not that good.

- add "tripod mode".
Continuous file indexing!

Heya guys, I was wondering if there are an official word when we will see the third firmware update for the M3? Hoping its pretty soon, thanks in advance.
I know a lot of people seem to be banging on about the last update fixing everything. But I disagree. There’s always improvements and additional inovative features that can be added. This is a pretty expensive drone, and it should be given more features, and a wow factor. It should have stuff that I can’t even think of or imagine yet. That’s what DJI R & D experts are for.

I’ve just done some telecom tower inspections with my M3. I managed to capture a small label that was easy(ish) to read. The M3 flies a lot better than my M2P.
I hope that DJI can get their lens correction data into Lightroom

I wasn't aware that was the purpose of the telephoto. But I agree with you there is no point having RAW for it as the quality is not that good.
Ya DJI never meant for it to be used in any type of serious photography, we’re lucky it will even record or take any pictures. The idea is you takeoff go up then use the explore camera to scope out your surroundings, it’s handy for flying in unfamiliar places. I never bother to use it to take pictures or video.

I don't understand the debate on RAW or not... use or don't use. It's a sensor and it has the capability to capture RAW if FW permitted. Many don't use RAW on M2P or M3 now... it's a choice. To me the RAW is independent of the Quality, it's the ability to work with the image better in post. Using De-Noise & Sharpen tools work better with RAW images... often producing very satisfying results.

If we step back just a short period of time (years), it'd be considered a great mini-telephoto aerial lens capable of producing beautiful images. It's defiantly not a MFT, but it's still a nice useable lens & sensor. With recent FW updates, it looks capable to be helpful for various inspection images... again those can be enhanced with RAW Tools.

The Hasselblad site... highlighted section out of detail... indicates it's a useable lens: "creative possibilities".
** subsection from Web Paragraph **
Mavic 3’s second camera features a 162mm tele lens with 28x Hybrid Zoom (digital + optical) and aperture of f/4.4 that can freely bring distant objects visually closer, offering the user more dynamic perspectives and creative possibilities at a distance. The new Vision Detection Auto Focus technology for quick focusing allows the Hasselblad camera to work with multiple vision sensors on board to capture distance data to optimize focusing speed.

I'd gladly accept any enhancements for the M3, many I probably wouldn't appreciate until presented.
I'd really like to see SDK get into the hands of 3rd Party Developers to get the M3 Map Ready!
Next I'd like to see the Wide Angle Lens gain a few lens correction profiles in LR, On1, DXO.

Regarding the SLOW GPS lock.

Started a GPS thread...

Reactions: redserv and burtba
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom