DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC 3S ??

NattyDread

Reactions
The rumors of a MAVIC 3S coming out by 4th quarter 2022 are getting stronger. I've been sitting on $3.500 and DJI will not get a penny until it fixes the MAVIC3 and I don't care how deeply it is discounted. If DJI listens, hear this. The public watched all the Youtuber influencers proclaim the new MAVIC3 was great! That despite the truth, it was released prematurely. And when the firmware fixes were released, MAVIC 3 owners, in exchange for a lot of money, have a premium drone that doesn't work properly. This is shameful on the part of DJI. I have 6 DJI drones, I'm sitting 2022 out. DJI can release the "S" version, at this point, I will wait until regular people's reviews come in, Not only did DJI lose credibility, they took the influencers with them.

The rumors of a MAVIC 3S coming out by 4th quarter 2022 are getting stronger. I've been sitting on $3.500 and DJI will not get a penny until it fixes the MAVIC3 and I don't care how deeply it is discounted. If DJI listens, hear this. The public watched all the Youtuber influencers proclaim the new MAVIC3 was great! That despite the truth, it was released prematurely. And when the firmware fixes were released, MAVIC 3 owners, in exchange for a lot of money, have a premium drone that doesn't work properly. This is shameful on the part of DJI. I have 6 DJI drones, I'm sitting 2022 out. DJI can release the "S" version, at this point, I will wait until regular people's reviews come in, Not only did DJI lose credibility, they took the influencers with them.

This isn't a new process for DJI and many other manufacturers today. Many companies now use their "Early Adopters" as paying (not paid) Beta Testers. We have so many people eager to get the latest, greatest, fastest, shiniest, most advanced WIDGET that they are willing to pay up front and get an Early Shipping production model which is a HORRIBLE idea each and every time. Each day this flawed process becomes more and more the NORM and just think how much $$ it saves the company by letting John Q. Customer be the testers for them.

KUDOS to you for holding onto your money but you can bet there will be plenty of early adopters of the M3S when/if it hits the market.

BigAl07 I believe you should add the supposed Mini 3 to your post but alas, if it materialises, I fear it will have people queuing at the door to throw their money at DJI. And then possibly end up crying on the forums that it is unfinished and doesn't have this, that or the other feature which is an ABSOLUTE 'must' and saying it is disgusting that DJI didn't include it. Personally I am waiting for the Mini 4 which will certainly have ..........😍

A keep-your-wallet-closed attitude might also help reduce the price, I'd bet neither will be cheaper than their predecessor.

The logic in your statement is sound NattyDread. So is BigAl07's statement . . . if we carry out the equation to its lowest common denominator (Mavic 3 release debacle and BigAl07's comments); the Mavic 3S will not be air worthy until 2nd or 3rd quarter 2023 😕.

The YouTube personality situation with regards to product is spot on. I lost a lot of trust for reviewers that were exuberant primarily because they got their product far ahead of us citizens that don't socially broadcast their views.

The YouTube personality situation with regards to product is spot on. I lost a lot of trust for reviewers that were exuberant primarily because they got their product far ahead of us citizens that don't socially broadcast their views.
This is true however some like Mads and Captain Drone (I'm pretty sure they purchased their drones or borrowed them from friends) came out with fairly honest views and neither gave the M3 a "must have" rating. Maybe those are the reviewers you hunt out? The ones that paid with their own money. I don't think DJI ever sends Captain Drone a unit as he has told it like it is in the past. It's hard to navigate the truth in Youtube and even forums (e.g DJI's forum) are becoming tricky places to gain solid information. What is a prospective drone purchaser to do? I'm taking the wait and see approach and get a feel from forums, youtube, Amazon reviews etc and well after launch will make my call. If we all did that wouldn't companies like DJI have to release finished products otherwise they would never sell anything?

Like your avatar on DJI Forum by the way :)

The Mavic 3 rumours claimed the drone was definitely going to be released over a year before it was and were constantly wrong for a considerable amount of time until it was near release. These sites need to keep driving traffic to their sites when there's no information out there so they have to keep making up information in the meantime, oddly even though they are wrong most of the time they still maintain credibility.

I do fell sorry for the people that are conned by these sites constantly convincing them that a new drone is right around a corner when it may be a long time before there is another one. Any product I'm considering I'll look at whether it does what I want but if it doesn't and there's possibly going to be a newer product that will do it then I'll wait. I haven't bought a Mavic 3 for a number of reasons so will wait and see what else they release. I do have a drone to fly in the meantime though and while there's always something better round the corner if I always waited for it I'd never buy a drone.

These sites need to keep driving traffic to their sites when there's no information out there so they have to keep making up information in the meantime, oddly even though they are wrong most of the time they still maintain credibility.
This sort of thing is all over the Internet and permeates nearly every kind of consumer product. I notice it even with books; there's a handful of authors that I am desperately waiting to finish a beloved series. Every so often I search for the author's name or book series and get AWFUL results with headlines like "RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED", when in actuality there's nothing of the sort - It's all just clickbait to drive traffic and sell advertisements. Movies, TV shows, smartphones, PC hardware... whatever. There's always rumors that there's another one coming.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a reworked or 'budget' version of the Mavic 3 sometime in the next year or two, but that's only because it follows the same trends as a lot of consumer electronics. Rumors are rumors and they'll probably eventually turn out to be true if for no other reason than it's just probable to happen and somebody can say "I told you so".

If DJI listens, hear this.
DJI isn't here and won't see your comment
The public watched all the Youtuber influencers proclaim the new MAVIC3 was great! That despite the truth, it was released prematurely. .... Not only did DJI lose credibility, they took the influencers with them.
To be fair to reviewers, the drones they tested didn't have the fault that was introduced in the December firmware update.

Despite the prevailing opinion, most DJI drones are released without major flaws and work perfectly.
A few have had minor tweaks needed, but the Mavic 3 is in a class of its own for a bungled release.

You can keep your money just now for the M3S, but I bet you another year down the line the M4 gets released. Are you going to keep your money for that one and never get anywhere.

I’ve purchased the Mavic 3 and going to enjoy it as much as I can :)

(life’s too short)

EDIT: I’m actually retracting the comment ‘going to enjoy it’ as I no longer am!

Went outside earlier and it took more than 11min+ to get to even 10 satellites, and it was still in ‘GPS Signal Weak’ test on screen. I’m absolutely raging at this, one of the factors is due to the Home Point not being able to record for any RTH.
Looks like I’m sending it back to Amazon until they fix this issue.

Last edited:
I've always seen youtube reviewers/influencer as modern used car salesman. They mostly have commercial interests in mind rather than the good of the buyer.

This is true however some like Mads and Captain Drone (I'm pretty sure they purchased their drones or borrowed them from friends) came out with fairly honest views and neither gave the M3 a "must have" rating. Maybe those are the reviewers you hunt out? The ones that paid with their own money. I don't think DJI ever sends Captain Drone a unit as he has told it like it is in the past. It's hard to navigate the truth in Youtube and even forums (e.g DJI's forum) are becoming tricky places to gain solid information. What is a prospective drone purchaser to do? I'm taking the wait and see approach and get a feel from forums, youtube, Amazon reviews etc and well after launch will make my call. If we all did that wouldn't companies like DJI have to release finished products otherwise they would never sell anything?

Oh yes! Captain Drone is really one of my favorites. He is down to earth, entertaining and technically credible! Yes, I am on a DJI wait and see also.

They managed to do it right with the MA2 and then the A2S which followed a year later. They know how to do it right. Such a shame that they've blown it with the M3.
I don't know if it is confirmed, but the rumor is that because of the pandemic-induced chip shortage, they replaced the GPS chip with what was thought to be an equivalent GPS chip mid-production. Combined with the rush to meet the 2021 Christmas season, DJI made a really bad decision. It would be one thing if DJI was a top-tier customer service organization. It is not. If that problem goes back to the GPS chip substitution will DJI ever confirm this issue? And again "if" this is the problem will DJU replace all the MAVIC3s with the bad chip. Admittedly, I am speculating here, maybe unfairly because I am going on third-party rumors. But who trusts that DJI is an up-front, the customer comes first organization? I'm voting with my money, which will stay in my pocket. If you buy a drone for a grand and it's not perfect, ok, You buy a drone for $5,000 then failure is not an option.

The timing of the news of a MAVIC3S can not be accidental. We are 6 months to a year out and the MAVIC3 has serious problems.

If DJI wants to improve its reputation, among the things they could do is be transparent about the Mavic 3 problems.

You can keep your money just now for the M3S, but I bet you another year down the line the M4 gets released. Are you going to keep your money for that one and never get anywhere.

I’ve purchased the Mavic 3 and going to enjoy it as much as I can :)

(life’s too short)
I have a Mavic 2 and an Air2S, the latter of which has become my favorite. But what animates me is the price increase! A 50% increase for the base models was very aggressive. DJI had a reputation for significantly improving their products while modestly raising its prices. Fair enough, But a 50% increase??? For that jump not only am I looking for a drone that has a considerable jump up in performance, but oh yes, it has to work flawlessly. Did we get LIDAR for collision detection? No! A tree branch can take your $5,000 down like a stone! Parachute recovery? No! Water Recovery? No!

The MAVIC3 gives us the flight time of the AIR2S. Better camera, yes, dual cameras, yes. But it is not the jump we got from Mavic1 to Mavic 2. Or the jump from the AIR, to the AIR2 to the AIR2S. The MAVIC3 is their flagship! I'm not impressed.

DJI will increasingly need the "public" a "loyal enthusiastic public" to support government policies that will sustain its growth. DJI needs friends, I'm not feeling DJI about now and if they really don't care what I think, my $3.500 will find someplace else to park.

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
I don't know if it is confirmed, but the rumor is that because of the pandemic-induced chip shortage, they replaced the GPS chip with what was thought to be an equivalent GPS chip mid-production. ... Admittedly, I am speculating here, maybe unfairly because I am going on third-party rumors.
There are lots of unsubstantiated guesses and rumours surrounding the issue..
The chip they used is equivalent or better and the suggestion that might be the cause, doesn't stand up to enquiry.
The M3 worked well for early reviewers, but the GPS problem started with DJI's December firmware update

The timing of the news of a MAVIC3S can not be accidental. We are 6 months to a year out and the MAVIC3 has serious problems.
There is no news about the 3S ... just someone's unsubstantiated guess.
It might happen and it might not, but there's no need to get excited about it now.

Reactions: NattyDread

Captain Drone gets all his drones sent for free to review.

Reactions: OldBlueHeron
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661