DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air 2 unstable flight on return path

So there's no way to take-off upside down?
No ... if tilting over the fixed set angle, it will not arm.

As a curiosity ...

On quads, in their firmware, that angle threshold is always among the first thing's you change to 180 degrees ... this so you can arm if stuck in a tree upside down hoping it will fall down & so you can use "turtle mode" (crashing & laying upside down on ground, with turtle mode active you can spin a choosable motor pair the "wrong" direction in order to flip the quad right side up so you can take off again).

The wind was affecting your craft more than you think ...

This was the wind speeds your MA2 faced up there ...

Have experienced increased wind speed myself around both hilltops and over mad made structures.

I imagine when gaining altitude to get above those buildings, there would have been jets of wind blasting through between them, as well as over them . . .

path-of-wind-around-obstacles.jpg

I've been caught and had one crash in my 4 years of ownership, on the leeward side of some large silos, due to that low pressure on the downwind side.
Pushed me back into the wall of a silo, could be too as I was close I might have had decreased sat coverage there too, which contributed.

I experienced those winds when flying near hills. Up top they are way stronger and you can get drawn away if not careful.

This is the example I was looking for. It’s me fying in 50+ km/h winds.

While it was slow against the wind, I didn’t experience any failure whatsoever.

Not controlled inverted flight. You’d either need to be able to reverse the rotation of the motors,(and then the prop design would not be optimal), or reverse the tilt of the propellers as found on aerobatic model helicopters.
No ... if tilting over the fixed set angle, it will not arm.

As a curiosity ...

On quads, in their firmware, that angle threshold is always among the first thing's you change to 180 degrees ... this so you can arm if stuck in a tree upside down hoping it will fall down & so you can use "turtle mode" (crashing & laying upside down on ground, with turtle mode active you can spin a choosable motor pair the "wrong" direction in order to flip the quad right side up so you can take off again).
A throw launch would work. But it would right itself immediately or, if the props were reversed, slam into the ground.
What if somehow you could reinstall the drone's arms upside down and reverse the propellers. I'm thinking something like the Matrice 300

What if somehow you could reinstall the drone's arms upside down and reverse the propellers. I'm thinking something like the Matrice 300
With that level of modification ... wouldn't it be much easier to buy a quad, activate 3D mode in the firmware with one mouse click & equip it with 3D props ? In that way you could fly with what ever side up you want ...

With that level of modification ... wouldn't it be much easier to buy a quad, activate 3D mode in the firmware with one mouse click & equip it with 3D props ? In that way you could fly with what ever side up you want ...

I know just thought that would be interesting. Probably not ideal, but just interesting.

It's not going to work because the FC expects the aircraft not to be inverted.
No, not the aircraft, just the arms, so it'd work just like the Matrice 300

No, not the aircraft, just the arms, so it'd work just like the Matrice 300
So keep the aircraft the right way up but invert the arms and swap the props so they still provide downward thrust? Okay - I'm lost - I have no idea what this is suppose to achieve.

So keep the aircraft the right way up but invert the arms and swap the props so they still provide downward thrust? Okay - I'm lost - I have no idea what this is suppose to achieve.
Correct! It's not supposed to achieve anything, just something that intrigues me.

Reactions: sar104
It became unstable at the point marked 90% battery. That's what made me go back.

Near landing in the bay was not so for landing, but to capture this beautiful pic:
That is a very beautiful picture!

Reactions: Korrd
The situations that I'm aware of are blocked motors, IMU errors and compass errors. Inverted flight may also be one, but that's hard to test.
I agree possible imu error. This happened on my Air when a sensor failed, gimbal all over the place and almost lost it in the sea where I was flying at the time. Finally managed to correct itself into a hover and steadily flew it back although looked as though it was flying back sideways.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000