DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air Controller battery life isn't great?

Sauws

Reactions
Hi guys,

I used to flying around with my Phantom 3 and Spark.
Now that I have the Mavic Air Combo, I've noticed that the controller barely last 6 fly sessions.
And then it takes up over 2 hours of charge time before it's fully charged again.

It seems that the controller has way less battery capacity compare to my Spark (for example).

This is without any modification and while my phone is connected with OTG.

You guys have a similiar experience?

Mine seems to last just as long as the spark. It hardly drains since using the Huawei xt2 phone too.

Check if the controller isn't charging your phone. I found that my controller was draining quite fast as well, especially in comparison to the P3 controller. But I noticed that the charging icon was showing on the phone. I am using a regular USB cable though through the bottom, and I have no idea though how to make it stop charging the phone, other than physically blocking the charging connectors within the usb socket.

You can connect the display device to the lower USB port on the controller and then connect a portable charger to the side of the controller. With a good portable charger you should be able to get the controller to actually charge slightly while you are using it. If you want, attach some hook and loop/Velcro on the bottom of the controller and the battery charger to stick them together. If you bought the Fly More package you can also use a used Air Battery to charge the controller while you fly.

Reactions: Mr. C4
Although that seems to function as a workaround, I wouldn't really consider that as a favorable solution. (I'm saying that in general, not against your advise of course) It is odd that the controller is designed to charge devices as I don't see any practical use to that. Unless I'm missing something about a high demand to use the controller as a powerbank.

Besides, the Mavic Air batteries are intended for what they are named, Mavic Air batteries. Especially with the rather limited flight time the Mavic has, it wouldn't make sense to be required to sacrifice one battery as a powerbank to avoid the controller discharging. Not to mention that it goes right against the whole appeal for the Air, which is portability and ergonomics. Having USB cables dangling and velcro'd batteries does not really fit in that description.
Not sure if this can be controlled by software, but I hope that some day DJI updates the controller to disable it charging devices through its USB ports, at least as far as the center one is concerned. I cannot remember if the default OTG connection does that as well.

I connect it with the provided side cable.
But my phone is NOT charging while it's connected. (as I see my phone % dropping with 20% after 3 flight sessions....)

I'm not in favor of "tweaking" to have a longer controller battery experience...
If others have noticed that their controller is also down to 1 charging dot after around 6 flight sessions, please let me know, so that I don't have to worry that I might have an "almost" DOA product.

That being said, I can live with the fact it "only" last 6 flight sessions ... the total time I recharge my 3 batteries back to full, is about the same for my controller as well....

I also had similar issue. I only used 1.5 battery and the controller was on 1/2 battery already. It was also trying to charge my phone at the same time while flying it. However it does not provide enough current so the battery on my phone is draining faster than it can charge.

It is good to know that I can use the bottom usb so my phone does not drain the controller.

The bottom usb still charges. It's just you can use the side usb to attach a power bank.

Your experience sounds about right to me. I feel compelled to charge my controller after about 6 flights, but I'm sure it could manage a couple more. I just choose not to let the controller get that low, so I normally charge it simultaneously with my batteries after 3 flights. It just becomes part of the routine, but at least there's the option to top off the charge on the controller in the field if needed as well. You could just get one of those relatively inexpensive multi-battery chargers that charges all 3 batteries and remote controller simultaneously and feasibly be ready to go in about an hour.

Reactions: Sauws
If by flights, you mean 6 ac batteries worth of fly time. I think that's pretty good.

You could just get one of those relatively inexpensive multi-battery chargers that charges all 3 batteries and remote controller simultaneously and feasibly be ready to go in about an hour.

Can you please provide me a link of the one you have?

But my phone is NOT charging while it's connected. (as I see my phone % dropping with 20% after 3 flight sessions....)
Well it is getting supplied, i.e. if it wasn't you'd probably have lost 50% or of your phone battery in that time. Which is why the controller supplies the phone, most phones would die more quickly than the controller otherwise.

If others have noticed that their controller is also down to 1 charging dot after around 6 flight sessions, please let me know, so that I don't have to worry that I might have an "almost" DOA product.
It is normal with Android phones.

I found about 5 batteries it gets depleted to the point it's giving low battery warnings and making me nervous. I've only flown 5 batteries in one day once though since I got it. I'm going to Mexico next week, plan on bringing a battery pack to charge it in between shoots just in case.

Reactions: Sauws
Your experience sounds about right to me. I feel compelled to charge my controller after about 6 flights, but I'm sure it could manage a couple more. I just choose not to let the controller get that low, so I normally charge it simultaneously with my batteries after 3 flights. It just becomes part of the routine, but at least there's the option to top off the charge on the controller in the field if needed as well. You could just get one of those relatively inexpensive multi-battery chargers that charges all 3 batteries and remote controller simultaneously and feasibly be ready to go in about an hour.

You say "about 6 flights" and you go on to say you might even manage a couple more. Sounds like a pipe-dream. Who knows what duration your EACH flight is. You should always mention "6 flights of 15 minutes each" or whatever. So my judgement is that your AIR's remote must be lasting you 6 flights of about 5 minutes each fight ? So totally 25 minutes of flying is what your getting from your controller ? Plz give us clear info when helping.

I just bought my Mavic AIR yesterday. The friggin controller takes 3-4 hours to charge. that is with already 25% available on it when i plugged it in. Then after a full charge that's so agonizingly slow, it lasts about 30-40 minutes JUST TESTING IT OUT, Yes, without even flying. Just trying my new remote and how it works with the app etc from the safety of my living room and im getting 30-40 minutes. B-E-A-utiful. Whats the point of giving us a fly more combo when the remote will only last for maybe 2 flights of 15-20 mins each. And then it will take half a day to charge remote again.

Your remote must be bad, I have no trouble getting 3 ..15 min flights I just bought a 4th battery and I can use that up too and still have 2 dots on the remote

Im having the same trouble … Did you guys figure this out?? I don't think I could get 4 full flights.. I will try it and see. Im already using the USB on the bottom to connect an android tablet.

Im having the same trouble … Did you guys figure this out?? I don't think I could get 4 full flights.. I will try it and see. Im already using the USB on the bottom to connect an android tablet.
Same here. I really have not had too much "flight" time, but I spend time at the dining room table, running the MA, using the RC with a Nexus 7, and this is one reason I bought a second RC (from 214skier, right here on the forum).

FWIW, I also recently picked up a RAVPower 16750 Power Bank to add to my Go(someday) Kit. :)

don't store your rc full just like your MA batteries. mine used to last over 10 flights. now it's down to 6.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy