DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Air: Front leg crash damage

Followyourmap

Reactions
First time poster.

Recently crashed my Mavic Air and have some damage that looks repairable.

Problem? Front right leg is intact but the plastic component that holds it to the arm is cracked. The leg no longer snaps into place when extended and wobbles. I am also unsure of the tool to remove component.

Was unit in a crash? Yes. Unit still flies well.

What have you tried so far? Nothing, the plastic piece broke in two and I have both pieces. May try removing and gluing it back together. Though, I'd like feedback on that idea. Anyone know somewhere to purchase that plastic piece?

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? iPhone

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Most recent as of 5/24/18

What Go app version are you using? 4?

Any modification? (if so what) None

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) N/A

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)

Attachments

• IMG_4779.JPG
    IMG_4779.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Reactions: ksmusa
What ever you do don’t send to DJI for repair. Had similar damage. Charged me labor and parts to change 4 legs. Didn’t repair anything. Sent me new or refurbished A/C

What ever you do don’t send to DJI for repair. Had similar damage. Charged me labor and parts to change 4 legs. Didn’t repair anything. Sent me new or refurbished A/C

Thanks for the advice. DJI would be my last resort, I do have the DJI Care but since I've only had the drone for less than a month, and the damage seems to be repairable, I'd rather not use it unless it's a last resort.

Crashing the drone is certainly lack of checklists an pilotskills, I treat my drones as actual aircrafts!

Hello Followyourmap,
I have a similar damage from a crash (please see attached image).
Did you manage to fix it by yourself?
I would be very interested to understand how to fix or replace the broken part from a new arm (considering the antenna cable)...
Thanks.
20181007_182645_1024.jpg

Hey Mavairic,

I was able to fix this by myself. I used superglue. It took two applications because it didn’t hold the first time and I used a toothpick to carefully apply it to the two broken halves of the plastic piece.

The antenna wire definitely made it tricky to fix. I have insurance on the drone and I was almost tempted to rip off the antenna and send it in for repair/replacement. I still plan to replace it before the insurance lapses because it doesn’t snap/lock in place like the other non-damaged leg.

You can try superglue, but it looks like yours cracked near the bolt hole. I’m not sure how that will affect the fix.

I was able to find a 3d print plan for a replacement plastic part, I don’t have the link right now. However, I don’t know how it can be replaced since that wire goes right through the middle.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Followyourmap,
I guess one would need to remove the metal pin which holds together the plastic component and the cabled antenna in the middle.
Unfortunately the pin sticks very tight and I don't see how to remove it...
Thank you very much for your fast reply! I really appreciate it!

What did they charge you to do that? I’m about to drop mine in the mail and need 3 legs

Recentemente comprei um Mavic Air usado que veio com as duas pernas da frente danificadas. Dano similar ao de vocês, porem um pouco maior, ambas as antenas frontais (esquerda e direita) estão fixas somente pelo fio da antena.

Ainda não pude realizar o reparo eu mesmo devido ao valor das pernas que é alto aqui no Brasil, essa semana em um voo em uma pousada o Mavic voltou sem uma das antenas frontais. Infelizmente antes da antena cair eu não sabia que aquilo era uma antena, sempre pensei que fosse somente um "pé" para pouso, se soubesse teria utilizado super cola para realizar um reparo temporário até poder substitui-las.

Toda a perna está inteira, exceto a parte do trem de pouso (antena), não existe somente esta parte a venda? Ou algum tipo de reparo DIY?

Infelizmente aqui no Brasil o suporte para Drones além de caro é escaço.

----- Google tradutor
I recently bought a used Mavic Air that came with both front legs damaged. Damage similar to yours, but a little higher, both front antennas (left and right) are fixed only by the antenna wire.

I still could not carry out the repair myself due to the leg strength that is high here in Brazil, this week on a flight in a hostel the Mavic came back without one of the front antennas. Unfortunately before the antenna went down I did not know it was an antenna, I always thought it was just a "foot" for landing, if I knew I would have used super glue to perform a temporary repair until I could replace them.

The whole leg is whole, except for the part of the landing gear (antenna), is not this part only for sale? Or some kind of DIY repair?

Unfortunately here in Brazil the support for Drones besides expensive is parking.

This part would be tricky to swap-out because the antenna wire is fed through it. You would have to slide the antenna wire out without breaking it and then fish it back through the arm when done.

Not saying it is not possible but not the easiest. There is a decent reason the replacement part is sold as the entire arm assembly.. But anything is possible with the right tools.

Crashing the drone is certainly lack of checklists an pilotskills, I treat my drones as actual aircrafts!

Thats not fair. Plenty of us pay detailed attention to risk and focus closely on our flights. Sometimes **** happens.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy