DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide

Hi, I have got a .dat file from my friend who just lost his M2Z. However I cannot covert it to csv using CsvVeiw which gave an error message "Unrecognized log file". May I know what's wrong with the file ?

Not sure why CsvView doesn't like it - it converts okay with DatCon. @BudWalker ?

Reactions: new2mavic
Not sure why CsvView doesn't like it - it converts okay with DatCon. @BudWalker ?
CsvView is smarter :) . DatCon only knows about .DAT (and, apparently .dat) files and relies on the conversion process to detect a problem. CsvView knows about several file types and chooses the appropriate conversion process for each. It has to be smarter about figuring out which file type it's looking at and rejects anything it doesn't like before attempting a conversion.

Last edited:
@new2mavic I'm a bit confused. Did you change the .dat extension to a .DAT? And, is that the .DAT you're having problems with? Or, does the problem extend to .DATs that you have previously been able to submit to CsvView?

Just tried DatCon but got this message :

View attachment 92679
This message occurs because DatCon hasn't been told what the .DAT is. Did you attempt to tell it here
1580564331987.png

I have done the same but ....

View attachment 92685
This can occur if the CsvView can't create the temporary files it needs in the directory
[Home Directory]/.CsvViewDir/temp
Does that directory exist? Do you have write permission in that directory?

It's also possible that the .DAT to .csv process (i.e. DatCon) failed. For that we'll need the CsvView log file. Please retrieve
[Home Directory]/.CsvViewLog
and either get it attached here or send to [email protected]

@new2mavic I'm a bit confused. Did you change the .dat extension to a .DAT? And, is that the .DAT you're having problems with? Or, does the problem extend to .DATs that you have previously been able to submit to CsvView?

This message occurs because DatCon hasn't been told what the .DAT is. Did you attempt to tell it here
View attachment 92790

This can occur if the CsvView can't create the temporary files it needs in the directory
[Home Directory]/.CsvViewDir/temp
Does that directory exist? Do you have write permission in that directory?

It's also possible that the .DAT to .csv process (i.e. DatCon) failed. For that we'll need the CsvView log file. Please retrieve
[Home Directory]/.CsvViewLog
and either get it attached here or send to [email protected]
Upon opening the original .dat file, the message from CsvView was " Unrecongnized log file"
After changing the extension to .DAT, the message from CsvView was " Internal Error : Can't create the .csv"
The log file was stored in the Desktop
I have another .DAT file collected using my Mini, also placed in the Desktop. CsvView can open it as usual

The directory [Home Directory]/.CsvViewDir/temp can be created and it's there.

The ( zipped ) CsvViewLog is attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• .CsvViewLog.zip
    742 bytes · Views: 6
@sar104 ... just heard from flight analyzing guys over at the DJI forum that they discovered that the Fly app's DAT file disappears after syncing with DJI servers. It's there after the flight but gone after syncing. Have you heard anything like this ... or is it just coincidents & glitches in the app? Can this be the reason for why it's so hard to get hold of the device DAT for these uncommanded descent events?

@sar104 ... just heard from flight analyzing guys over at the DJI forum that they discovered that the Fly app's DAT file disappears after syncing with DJI servers. It's there after the flight but gone after syncing. Have you heard anything like this ... or is it just coincidents & glitches in the app? Can this be the reason for why it's so hard to get hold of the device DAT for these uncommanded descent events?

No - I've not heard that. Should be easy to test by turning off sync. I don't have a Mini, but @BudWalker does - perhaps he can comment.

I can confirm this message.....
cheers
JJB

Reactions: slup

Just tried it with my Mini.

The autosync was originally off. I turned it on, upload all the flight data, then powered off everything. Upon checking the old .DAT files, they were there ( not sure if some are missing though ). With the autosync remaining on. I subsequently made two new "flights" ( just powered the Mini on and then off ), the corresponding .DAT files were generated. Throughout the process, the phone was connected to WiFi.

The phone is an iphone 11 pro and the Mini is running firmware 300 ( I understand that 400 is the latest )

Last edited:
Just tried it with my Mini.

The autosync was originally off. I turned it on, upload all the flight data, then powered off everything. Upon checking the old .DAT files, they were there ( not sure if some are missing though ). With the autosync remained on. I subsequently made two new flights ( just power the Mini on and then off ), the corresponding .DAT files were generated. Throughout the process, the phone was connected to WiFi.

The phone is an iphone 11 pro and the Mini is running firmware 300 ( I understand that 400 is the latest )
OK ... so back to square one & what sar104 already have stated "-In some cases, for reasons not fully explained but possibly mobile-device hardware related, and most often under Android, DAT files are not created and that folder is empty"

OK ... so back to square one & what sar104 already have stated "-In some cases, for reasons not fully explained but possibly mobile-device hardware related, and most often under Android, DAT files are not created and that folder is empty"

It's possible that DAT file deletion is to save space and depends on other factors than just whether the files have been synced.

It's possible that DAT file deletion is to save space and depends on other factors than just whether the files have been synced.
Yeah maybe ... just looked at my own GO4 DAT directory, it's like 700MB now & increasing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji