DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 1 vs. Mini 2 comparison

All sounds good . I was just wondering about props fitting. The mini. But I also read there a gram heavier too . So that may not be a good idea ? I have the mini 2 that I bought from Best Buy last week. But I still haven’t opened yet. I have the mini and air 2 and older pro . But I think time should also help once out for a bit. I’m just not sure why I need to exact remotes. If I use my mavic air 2 and then link the mini 2 to the same remote. Will they work right or Would it be a hassle ?

Here is my quandary.

I ordered a skin from my Mini 1 from Decal Girl. I made the order sometime the last week of September and because of my distance and possible COVID situation, I only received the skin today, 5 November.

This skin will also fit the Mini 2 like a glove. It is just there, fresh and screaming to be installed.

Now, do I install this on my Mini 1 or take a bit of time and see if the Mini 2 bug bites me and I have to buy an, errrrrr, Ocusync controller?

?
Craft is 98-99% same, so most WrapGrade of Mini 1 will fit. The battery door, and associated rear pieces slightly different. Plus the Ft Multi-color LED will be blocked with Mini 1 nose piece.

If ya have both... skin them both!
Even if you sell Mini1, might sell better for those wanting a wrap grade skin but not wanting to apply... if it's the desired color!

Just picked up mini 2...
The OccuSync RC is a great plus... will be nice outside... more assurance of signal.

The lack of included prop guards is a bummer, but same as Mini1 so they can transfer if needed. I'll probably resign the Mini1 to indoor play & practice and Mini 2 for external.

I perfer the Mini 1 case design, but Radio is much larger so not a swap. Will see if reasonable case appears for Mini2.

In a few indoors play flights... and comparing, the Mini 2 is more stable and it's Cinography mode is very smooth. Prop Noise close to same, but I'd give the lower "tone" to Mini 2.

I mainly got for OccuSync RC and their minor improvements... some probably undocumented.

Wrap Grade will have a skin in short order.
Minimal changes to their pattern cutter..

All sounds good . I was just wondering about props fitting. The mini. But I also read there a gram heavier too . So that may not be a good idea ? I have the mini 2 that I bought from Best Buy last week. But I still haven’t opened yet. I have the mini and air 2 and older pro . But I think time should also help once out for a bit. I’m just not sure why I need to exact remotes. If I use my mavic air 2 and then link the mini 2 to the same remote. Will they work right or Would it be a hassle ?
Even if the radios are the same, unlike the Cendence RC for Inspire 2 and Matrice... it lacks the ability to switch over to alternate crafts in memory. Would require a re-bind each time you changed crafts. Makes a single RC not very practical... I'd go with 2. Plus the cost of the RC is minimal compared to a true multi-craft RC such as a Cendence.

was told by DJI that the prop guards are not compatible from the mini one . Has anybody tried them on the new Mini 2 I'd be very curious to know if they fit and work properly.

was told by DJI that the prop guards are not compatible from the mini one . Has anybody tried them on the new Mini 2 I'd be very curious to know if they fit and work properly.
The 2 are pretty identical exterior, except Ft LED and Battery Door. They did use a different skin on rear of Ft Arms, but it remained the same dimensions.

Mini 2 with Mini 1 Guards installed

Attachments

• 20201107_220835.jpg
    20201107_220835.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
No, it would need more sensors for Active Track to work.
Although OA would be desirable to avoid collisions during AT flight, the object is tracked with the gimbal camera. Remember, the OA cameras are fixed to the body so they cannot aim for an object below AC's altitude like the gimbal can.

IOW, if you are at 30ft altitude tracking an object on the ground 20 ft away, the OA cameras are pointing out to the horizon and so can't see and track the object. The gimbal camera however can tilt down enough to see the tracked object.

The 2 are pretty identical exterior, except Ft LED and Battery Door. They did use a different skin on rear of Ft Arms, but it remained the same dimensions.

Mini 2 with Mini 1 Guards installed
Someone in another part said the very front didn't fit right but could probably be forced into place. Did you find that to be the case?

Someone in another part said the very front didn't fit right but could probably be forced into place. Did you find that to be the case?
It's the same shape, so they fit the cup correctly... no deforming to force in. The thickness may be ever so slightly thicker on Mini2 (guessing the different material on rear of Ft Arms) but I'm not positive since I've never used them on Mini1, and my Mini 1 has a SkinGrade applied. If I was to use, I'd need to hit with a sandpaper inside channel to fit with SkinGrade applied on both units. Even that would only take a few swipes to fit.

It's the same shape, so they fit the cup correctly... no deforming to force in. The thickness may be ever so slightly thicker on Mini2 (guessing the different material on rear of Ft Arms) but I'm not positive since I've never used them on Mini1, and my Mini 1 has a SkinGrade applied. If I was to use, I'd need to hit with a sandpaper inside channel to fit with SkinGrade applied on both units. Even that would only take a few swipes to fit.
The Mini 2 is 1mm taller, and 1mm wider (unfolded, so arms go out a tiny bit more). If that millimeter makes a difference that's why.

The Mini 2 is 1mm taller, and 1mm wider (unfolded, so arms go out a tiny bit more). If that millimeter makes a difference that's why.
1mm in fit is pretty large, not sure that's a variable in the prop guards since they're open ended on fuselage side, but may be too.

Either way, prop guards fit with no issues.

So have you flown with them? Not issues? Dji told me they were not compatible. They didn't say that about the mini 1 battery so I have to wonder.

So have you flown with them? Not issues? Dji told me they were not compatible. They didn't say that about the mini 1 battery so I have to wonder.
I've spun up the props and a counter top hover... no cage contact. If a concern... just pick up another set... it's a low cost either way. I'm content to use them if needed. Good Luck!

Would love to see a detailed pixel-peeping comparison of MM1 and MM2 footage. I'm not actually too bothered by the 4k per se - more in the extra bitrate. I'm hopeful that shooting 4k on the MM2 at 100mbps and the downrezzing to 1080 will give significantly better results that shooting 1080 (or 2,7k) on the MM1 at its lower bitrate. But would be good to see some comparisons.

I've seen a couple of youtube videos but the YT compression makes them hard to judge,

The Mini 2 is definitely better than the Mini 1. If I had known back then what would happen now, I would have, could have, should have, waited.

But no sense abandoning the Mini 1 for now. Still enjoying this little bugger.

Maybe the next upgrade I should be looking at will be the Mavic Air 3? Hmmmm ? ?
I'm finding that my larger drone, the M2 Zoom, doesn't come with me as much as it's so freaking large compared to my more transportable MM1. I take 'Mini' on my eBike almost all the time. The only drawback that I've had with 'Mini' is stability and lack of forcefulness in modeate winds. I'm hoping the new, stiffer, MM2 props can be employed to counter the thin props of the MM1

I'm finding that my larger drone, the M2 Zoom, doesn't come with me as much as it's so freaking large compared to my more transportable MM1. I take 'Mini' on my eBike almost all the time. The only drawback that I've had with 'Mini' is stability and lack of forcefulness in modeate winds. I'm hoping the new, stiffer, MM2 props can be employed to counter the thin props of the MM1
If you pondering if the 2 props are interchangeable, they’re not. There’s a few YouTubes, props length isn’t a problem, shows the 2 are not interchangable due to thickness at the prop head, different length of screws & thread pitch.

Looks to be a Mini2 to gain the additional wind & stability.
Also sounds the the Mini2‘s motors are an upgrade too.

Thanks to all of you as to props interchangability. It's definitely a no-go MM2 on the MM1. Even the mounting screw(s) configs are different so as to bugger up the receiving threads; The 'walk-thru' best expressed, as previously mentioned, on Drone 51 site: Don't do it !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR