DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC MINI 2 - UPDATE | Latest Leaked Photos and Spec Info

Assuming this is legit and the leaks about price is true... wow! What a product! Frankly, I'm surprised that DJI keeps releasing cheaper products that undercut their more expensive offerings.

For example, I think the Air 2 eats into Mavic 2 sales, because for most non-pros, it offers about 90% of the capability for half the cost.

Now, if the above leak is true, the Mini 2 will also seriously compete with the Air 2. It addresses three of the key considerations that swayed me towards the Air 2 back when I chose it over Mini 1.0 about a month ago.

1. Occusync 2.0 for better range and transmission stability. Also bonus for the new controller, which I prefer over the old design. (I know that's quite subjective).
  2. 4K camera. That's a big upgrade!
  3. Better wind resistance. According to the Chinese script, the Mini 2.0 will endure category 5 wind, an upgrade from category 4. That puts it at the same level as the Air 2! I didn't think it was possible to significantly increase wind resistance for something so light, but according to the box, they have?!
Honestly not sure I'd have paid the price difference for the Air 2 if the Mini 2 was available back then... Wow, what a drone, what a bargain... if this leak and the price leaks are legit.

If they make it compatible with the smart controller I will get it!!!!
It's supposed to handle 23.5 Mph wind vs 17 mph from Mini 1.

Assuming this is legit and the leaks about price is true... wow! What a product! Frankly, I'm surprised that DJI keeps releasing cheaper products that undercut their more expensive offerings.

For example, I think the Air 2 eats into Mavic 2 sales, because for most non-pros, it offers about 90% of the capability for half the cost.

Now, if the above leak is true, the Mini 2 will also seriously compete with the Air 2. It addresses three of the key considerations that swayed me towards the Air 2 back when I chose it over Mini 1.0 about a month ago.

1. Occusync 2.0 for better range and transmission stability. Also bonus for the new controller, which I prefer over the old design. (I know that's quite subjective).
  2. 4K camera. That's a big upgrade!
  3. Better wind resistance. According to the Chinese script, the Mini 2.0 will endure category 5 wind, an upgrade from category 4. That puts it at the same level as the Air 2! I didn't think it was possible to significantly increase wind resistance for something so light, but according to the box, they have?!
Honestly not sure I'd have paid the price difference for the Air 2 if the Mini 2 was available back then... Wow, what a drone, what a bargain... if this leak and the price leaks are legit.
How about the wind factor?

Wow.. apparently this guy was able to buy the Mini 2 before the official release date!? He was even unable to activate it with DJI, seemingly because it hasn’t been officially released yet! From what we know so far:

Pros:
? 4K of course! The most requested feature!
? Occusync 2.0! Big upgrade from the Mini 1.
? Panorama mode? The box shown on the video mentions “Panorama”, I suppose it’s the same panorama feature that the Air/Pro series have, which takes a series of shots automatically to assemble a spherical 360 panoramic image. Many pilots missed this feature on the Mini 1, including myself, I did a 360 spherical panorama manually with the Mini 1 and wrote a thread here about it. Even the Litchi app added auto panorama support to the Mini 1, so no doubt this was one of the most requested features for the Mini.
? Better wind resistance, as someone mentioned before. A welcome upgrade, I found the Mini 1 struggled with even a light wind. The more powerful motors make possible to fight the wind with more force.
? New controller like the Air 2. More ergonomic and better mechanism to attach a phone. (Although some will find the bigger size to be a downgrade).
? Weight of 249g still maintained. So yeah, it was indeed possible to make a sub-250g drone with 4K capture! This was a hot topic here, because it was believed that technical limitations prevented the Mini 1 from capturing 4K, it was thought that 4K capture needed a more powerful processor that required a cooling fan, therefore increasing the weight to more than 250g. Well, now we can see that such technical limitations were either overcame or didn’t exist at all!

Now the Cons:
☹️ No mention of RAW capture. So it’ll likely not have RAW support? Well, it’s expected that something will be missing from the Mini to separate it from the Air 2, I suppose DJI won’t want the Mini to cannibalize the Air 2. Still, if it would have at least HDR, bracketing and burst modes, the lack of RAW will be somewhat compensated.
☹️ Different battery. So if you are upgrading from the Mini 1 and have spare batteries for the M1, they won’t work with the new Mini. No surprise here however, since every model of DJI drones use a different battery each, even in the same series.

I hope they went for Sony batteries this time, more power, more mah and lighter.

Sony / Murata VTC6 18650 Battery Specifications:

Nominal Capacity: 3120mAh
Rated Capacity: 3000mAh
Max Continuous Discharge Current for temp. up to 80 degrees Celsius: 30A
Max Continuous Discharge Current: 20A
Nominal Voltage: 3.6V/3.7V
Full charge Voltage: 4.2V
Internal Impedance 13 mΩ measured by AC 1kHz
Diameter 18.45mm max +/- 0.05mm
Length 65mm max +/- 0.05mm
Weight: 47 g Average
Positive terminal: Flat top
Color: Green
Battery Type / shape: 18650 / Cylindrical
Made in Japan
Manufacturer: Sony Energy
Intended use: Power Battery packs

VS

Specifications:
Model: INR18650-30Q
Size: 18650
Style: Flat Top
Chemistry: INR
Nominal Capacity: 3000mAh
Continuous Discharge Rating: 15A
Pulse Discharge Rating: 25A
Nominal Voltage: 3.6V
Protected: No
Rechargeable: Yes
Approximate Dimensions: 18.33mm x 64.85mm
Approximate Weight: 48g

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

I think DJI are quite savvy with how they position their models. The Mavic Air 2 was released around 18 months after the Mavic 2 giving the older drone plenty time to generate a decent amount of sales and while the Mavic Air 2 may have reduced sales of the Mavic 2, the flip side of that is there's likely many people who bought the Air 2 that wouldn't buy the Mavic 2 because it was too expensive. It was a fairly regular comment on here that people wanted some of the features like occusync but didn't want to stretch to a Mavic 2 series drone which is understandable, potentially that's a lost sale to another drone manufacturer whereas now that lost Mavic 2 sale is a Mavic Air 2 sale instead. And the Mavic 2 series still offers clear advantages to those who want them.

Technology can be a brutal industry and there are many companies consigned to the history books because they failed to keep on innovating or sat on their laurels while other companies have swooped in and taken their place.

If the Smart Controller works with the Mini 2 than its a game changer because than we just need the drone as we already have the controller for the Air 2 which looks to be the same one. At some Point the Smart Controller starts saving everyone money that has one an we can sell the Controller or just not get one and only get the drone...

Its not going to happen , they like to tease as we have seen in there advertising. . :rolleyes:

Reactions: Modra
Hey guys, so I pulled their serial from that video and confirmed with a DJI rep, it's really real and it's a Mini 2.

Mini2.png

Will that mean jerky video when moving and turning though? That was one of the main turnoffs in video quality for me on the Mini1. When people would spin, the juttery-lag-and-jerk drove me crazy. I am hoping for slow, smooth video. I might rather have 1080 and smooth than 4k and stuttering.

Totally looking forward to seeing youtubes showing the ONLY thing that really matters on the Mini 2 -- video quality!

Reactions: shaneb50
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803