DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini / DJI Fly app not compatible with iPad Pro 11"?

jeffk813

Reactions
So I bought an OTG Micro USB to USB-C cable that was SUPPOSED to work to connect my Mavic Mini controller to my iPad Pro 11" tablet, but for whatever reason, it doesn't work. The controller connects properly to the aircraft, but the tablet refuses to see the controller at all. The iPad works perfectly with my Mavic 2 Pro with the DJI Go4 app. The Mavic Mini works perfectly with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I suspect the cable is an issue but it also could be the app. I'm at a loss here. Anyone else have the same setup that's working? Maybe a specific cable that it needs? DJI is pretty useless as all I get from them is "we're sorry, please use one of the recommended devices". Funny thing is that on the App Store, it specifically says the DJI Fly app supports the iPad Pro 11". I can ( and have been ) flying the Mini with my phone, but I got the iPad specifically for flying because it's easier to see what's going on with the larger screen.

it seems that the fly app is unable to run on the newer versions of the ipad

Reactions: Inky Engines
For testing purposes, you could probably manage to use the included short cable just to see if the app can connect. That's what I did with the iPad Air. You can't fly that way of course.

Also the cable should work with the M2 if you suspect the cable.

Works perfectly with me. I have the new iPad Pro 11

Attachments

• 5F188556-8D9F-47BA-ADBE-479EC3E423E3.jpeg
    5F188556-8D9F-47BA-ADBE-479EC3E423E3.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: jeffk813
Reactions: zeusfl
To follow up, I connected the tiny cable that DJI supplied with the Mini to my iPad Pro and it worked. It’s aggravating that I wasted money on a different cable that was supposed to work but hopefully the new one I ordered will. We shall see tomorrow! :)

Reactions: zeusfl
Hey I am looking at the Ipad pro 11.

Are you getting any pixelation or freezing with the DJ Fly app or is it crystal clear.

Thanks

Hey I am looking at the Ipad pro 11.

Are you getting any pixelation or freezing with the DJ Fly app or is it crystal clear.

Thanks

I'm still waiting for the new cable to try out the iPad Pro with DJI Fly, so I can't tell you. I flew it a bit with my iPad Mini 4 and it worked fine with no issues. Perhaps some of the others who replied can speak to that.

Crystal clear with the Mavic 2 Pro and some pixelation with the Mavic mini since the app is not native for that resolution (720) the Mavic 2 Pro looks amazing. but the Mavic mini still looks very well.

I tried using my iPad Pro but the app would always crash about half way thru the flight. My iPad Pro does not have cellular connectivity, only WIFI. I guess Apple does not put GPS in the iPads without Cell. I then tried using my old iPad Air that has cellular connectivity, and it has not crashed once after many flights. I do not use the cell connection, I have an old sim card in it that is not connected. Before I fly I download the maps connected to my iPhone hotspot, and then disconnect the iPads WIFI before I take off.

I tried using my iPad Pro but the app would always crash about half way thru the flight. My iPad Pro does not have cellular connectivity, only WIFI. I guess Apple does not put GPS in the iPads without Cell. I then tried using my old iPad Air that has cellular connectivity, and it has not crashed once after many flights. I do not use the cell connection, I have an old sim card in it that is not connected. Before I fly I download the maps connected to my iPhone hotspot, and then disconnect the iPads WIFI before I take off.

No, the non-cellular iPads do not have GPS. Not sure why that would cause the app to crash though.

Not having GPS might not be the reason. But I couldn’t think of anything else. I thought the Pro would be better since it has more processing power and memory then the Air

Not having GPS might not be the reason. But I couldn’t think of anything else. I thought the Pro would be better since it has more processing power and memory then the Air

It very well could be the issue. I was just saying that I couldn't think of why it would be. Then again I'm not a programmer. :) It could be that it's periodically checking for the home point, and not getting a GPS reading, it's freaking out and crashing. Unhanded exception errors can cause a program to flip out like that. It seems as if the DJI Fly App was a rush job and there are some things that need addressing. I have no real evidence of this, but it seems as if there are lots of folks having issues with it.

For the record, it seems to be working fine on mine, though my iPad Pro has cellular.

Make sure your DJI fly app has location service permission in "always".

Yes I am trying to use the fold which seems like the perfect choice but having issues connecting.. called DJI who said use the recommended advice. How can they be a tech company and be two phones behind with no known updates.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas