DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini signal strength boosters?

Portability wasn’t a concern. Experimenting was the idea. Still have the original controller that fits in the DJI case.

Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot
The mini comes in 2 models, the FCC (MT1SS5) and the CE (MT1SD25).
I'm quite sure that the transmission power is Built into the transmitter through hardware and you are not able to 'mod' it through software.

Only thing is... for the FCC version, it reduces to lower transmission power in a CE country which may cause it to perform similarly(or worst) to a CE version in the same flight path. The advantage to the FCC version is that you're able to hack it into thinking it is in the US and thus fly it at max. transmission power.
Comparing both versions, the FCC version still holds the advantage over the CE version.

I guess I will order this and try it out. For the price, it is an easy test.
Be aware, it will take 2-4 weeks to get it from this vendor. Otherwise AMZ has them at 2-3x the price.

A simple sheet of foil behind the antenna would probably make things worse. The idea of the parabola, is to catch the signal that misses the antenna and FOCUS it back to the antenna. That is where the gain comes from. The same concept of the dish antennas or even a Newtonian telescope.

If you are not pointing the reflector AT the AC, at some positions you can expect far worse performance than without it as it is then blocking the normal signal. At other positions, maybe up to 45° off, it will be the same as no reflectors.

Also you can download a modded DJI fly app to switch the drone from CE (0.1W transmission) to FCC (0.4W transmission), therefore increasing the signal strength fourfold. This is what I have done with my m1p and the strength and 'video smoothness' have increased by far.
Where

Reactions: Tyson76
I guess I will order this and try it out. For the price, it is an easy test.
Be aware, it will take 2-4 weeks to get it from this vendor. Otherwise AMZ has them at 2-3x the price.

A simple sheet of foil behind the antenna would probably make things worse. The idea of the parabola, is to catch the signal that misses the antenna and FOCUS it back to the antenna. That is where the gain comes from. The same concept of the dish antennas or even a Newtonian telescope.

If you are not pointing the reflector AT the AC, at some positions you can expect far worse performance than without it as it is then blocking the normal signal. At other positions, maybe up to 45° off, it will be the same as no reflectors.

Did you receive it and try it out? What's been your experience?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I don't need increased range. I'm looked for less signal interference. I imagine there's a correlation between distance and signal strength, but I wonder if you've seen any decrease in signal interference?

I have a new 4hawks USA version that doesn’t have the 2.4qhz antennas which frees up room to put the larger XR 5.8 antennas in it. I am also boosting the right (closest to power button) antenna which is the TX / RX antenna.

I am not boosting the RX only antenna (closest to RTH button) because I don’t think it helps. I don’t think you can boost the Rx signal ?. It doesn’t seem so from my tests.

With this setup I’ve definitely doubled my range and probably more.

I think stock I was getting about 3,000 feet in my residential area when flying west which is an open area downhill through a park and to the beach.

With the boosted 4hawks I can now go a little past 7,000 feet.

And the setup is still fairly compact so it fits in my case still.

If anyone knows wether boosting the RX only antenna would also make an improvement, please let me know. I tried it once and it didn’t seem to make a difference so I returned it.

1E49775C-CC73-4F1C-8BF3-B7F7F3F4CA03.jpeg

9D3F0F52-E86E-4548-A744-C864580CD3D8.jpeg

Reactions: zeusfl and Tyson76
The best and simplest way to get a stronger signal is to make sure it’s not getting ‘diluted’ by turning off your smartphone’s Wifi and cellular - AFTER you cache the maps where you will be flying as maps require either (not both) of those.
So putting phone in airplane mode after cacheing (?) maps?

Reactions: Len750
So for those of us in Canada, which version of the 4Hawks is recommended -- the US version or the non-US version? I asked the manufacturer but their answer was vague.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Terancemcleod29