DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini Yaw Issue Is A Deal Breaker For Me!!

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I have never attempted flying it in tight spaces, but I can see why it would matter in such conditions to stop instantly. Thanks for the explanation!

Last edited:
Reactions: MontcoMM
Its not that im flying like shown in the videos, that fast. yaw start and brake is just a full speed worst case scenario at those high speeds just to show the problem, but when slowing it down and making slower, smooth turns while chasing a subject, the turns become unpredictable and not like any other DJI Drone... No, I am not racing my Mavic Mini or any other DJI Drone, but all other DJI Drones fly with that same crisp yaw and Ive become so natural at flying like that, Mini makes the yaw moves feel unatural.. say a begginer learns on a Mini and decides they like it and wants to step it up and get a Mavic 2 pro also, they are going to have muscle memory from the time spent on Mini, its going to be harder to adjust to new M2 and go back and fourth between the 2.. My muscle memory is built up from years of all other DJI drones, which feel nothing like Mini.
Even at slow filming speeds, Mini's yaw is nothing comparable to all other DJI Drones.
And I have also found in early firmware, it flew like shown in Spark video, so Im assuming all early beta testers who made videos saying that it "felt like any other DJI Drone" were correct. But then DJI changed the algorithm to this laggy Yaw..
I realy dont see the benefit for new users, because it is much slower to begin the yaw once stick is applied, and then it continues to keep going and overshoot once yaw is let go, even at slow, cinamatic attempts. Im starting to think this change was made to support the huge prop protectors??

Last edited:
Reactions: Molto33
Its not that im flying like shown in the videos, that fast. yaw start and brake is just a full speed worst case scenario at those high speeds just to show the problem, but when slowing it down and making slower, smooth turns while chasing a subject, the turns become unpredictable and not like any other DJI Drone... No, I am not racing my Mavic Mini or any other DJI Drone, but all other DJI Drones fly with that same crisp yaw and Ive become so natural at flying like that, Mini makes the yaw moves feel unatural.. say a begginer learns on a Mini and decides they like it and wants to step it up and get a Mavic 2 pro also, they are going to have muscle memory from the time spent on Mini, its going to be harder to adjust to new M2 and go back and fourth between the 2.. My muscle memory is built up from years of all other DJI drones, which feel nothing like Mini.
Even at slow filming speeds, Mini's yaw is nothing comparable to all other DJI Drones.
And I have also found in early firmware, it flew like shown in Spark video, so Im assuming all early beta testers who made videos saying that it "felt like any other DJI Drone" were correct. But then DJI changed the algorithm to this laggy Yaw..
I realy dont see the benefit for new users, because it is much slower to begin the yaw once stick is applied, and then it continues to keep going and overshoot once yaw is let go, even at slow, cinamatic attempts. Im starting to think this change was made to support the huge prop protectors??

Yes, I can imagine that it would be difficult to switch between Mini and other DJI drones which stop yaw instantly. And yes, I think Mini users like myself will get used to this gradual stopping and learn to compensate for it when needed by letting go of the stick earlier. Behavior should be consistent across all the drones, meaning that at minimum there should be a way to turn this off in the Mini, or in a better case update all the drones to have both options. But hey, maybe there will be in option for this in a future update, if enough people request it...

That's not the defining characteristic of this forum - it is mostly supportive. As for the Spark performing better - that's subjective. DJI appears to have tweaked the performance to enhance certain flight characteristics. The fact that some users don't like those characteristics doesn't objectively make it worse.
@sar104 , please go borrow or try a Mavic Mini and let me know your thoughts on it, its very difficult to describe the laggyness on the forum or in a video, you really have to feel it 1st hand to understand..
If you have a Microcenter store close by, they offer 30 day no questions asked return policy, with no restocking fee's, drones included....

I'm just hoping we find a way to fix it :D
Going back to 0.200 firmware seems to reduce the problem, until DJI solves it in an eventually future update...
I'm in communication with them, i did send them the forum, for their information, and the many complains should have any weight.... I hope...

And, if not, DJIflyGo or Litchi should find a solution for us on May ^^"

Going back to 0.200 firmware seems to reduce the problem, until DJI solves it in an eventually future update...
I'm in communication with them, i did send them the forum, for their information, and the many complains should have any weight.... I hope...

And, if not, DJIflyGo or Litchi should find a solution for us on May ^^"

I do hope that "solving it" won't mean that the current behavior will go way, but rather that they'll make it optional. Like I wrote, some of us actually like the current behavior and I would be sad to see it go away. Please mention this when you talk to them. Thanks!

Interestingly the speed and smoothing (ie damping) for vertical panning of the gimbal can be independently controlled via sliders in the menu, but not horizontal panning. Acknowledged that horizontal gimbal speed is intimately linked to the aircraft yaw speed, but smoothing is a preset mixture of damping on the aircraft yaw movement and gimbal movement.

I've actually requested that they add the same advanced yaw settings for the drone as they have for the gimbal pitch: ability to control speed and smoothness. That way old timers can set the speed of the yaw to max and smoothness to min to have the old behavior, while newcomers like myself can minimize the speed of the yaw and maximize the smoothness of the yaw (how abruptly it stops) even more, so we can more easily get cinematic movies. Currently with frozen fingers I'm struggling to yaw very very gently and stop the yaw even more gently. Hack, I should be able to set the drone to react much more slowly to yaw then it does today, if that's what I want.

Sure, it comes at the cost of not being able to react instantly to obstacles, but I don't care. If there's an obstacle, I can always just let go of the sticks. And let's admit it, when you're flying so close to something that a fraction of a second matters, you're just asking for trouble anyway :)

Reactions: Molto33
@sar104 , please go borrow or try a Mavic Mini and let me know your thoughts on it, its very difficult to describe the laggyness on the forum or in a video, you really have to feel it 1st hand to understand..
If you have a Microcenter store close by, they offer 30 day no questions asked return policy, with no restocking fee's, drones included....

It's an interesting subject, but not interesting enough to go to those lengths. And I don't need to test one to understand what the data are saying, which is far more reliable than pilot observation, including my own.

I don't own a mini (I'm stuck with my Mavic Pro, Phantom 3 and Anafi) but two friends of mine were tempted to buy a mini and ask for my "expertise" for deciding to. So, I read attentively in what extent customers appreciate or not this little drone.
I was struck by the comparison of yaw breaking capacities under, respectively, GPS and ATTI modes. Maybe it is to be considered that under GPS mode, there is additionnal data to compute which are indeed those delivered by the GPS device and this should take additionnal processor ressource as compared to computation under ATTI mode. Don't you think that this lag could come from some CPU weakness ? When looking at the core board of the Mini, it looks relatively simple as compared as those from other DJI drones, including the Spark.

I don't own a mini (I'm stuck with my Mavic Pro, Phantom 3 and Anafi) but two friends of mine were tempted to buy a mini and ask for my "expertise" for deciding to. So, I read attentively in what extent customers appreciate or not this little drone.
I was struck by the comparison of yaw breaking capacities under, respectively, GPS and ATTI modes. Maybe it is to be considered that under GPS mode, there is additionnal data to compute which are indeed those delivered by the GPS device and this should take additionnal processor ressource as compared to computation under ATTI mode. Don't you think that this lag could come from some CPU weakness ? When looking at the core board of the Mini, it looks relatively simple as compared as those from other DJI drones, including the Spark.
It definitely isn’t a processor problem. First of all, the Mavic Mini has a very powerful Ambarella H22. I believe that the drone is very much crippled in firmware as not to sabotage it's higher end drone sales. Also, calculations for GPS mode are incredibly simple for what it’s doing (simple number crunching). The processing power between GPS and ATTI mode is negligible in modern processors. For context the computer that took the Apollo 11 to the moon, which sounds complicated, was 100,000 times less powerful than most smartphones today.

It definitely isn’t a processor problem. First of all, the Mavic Mini has a very powerful Ambarella H22. I believe that the drone is very much crippled in firmware as not to sabotage it's higher end drone sales. Also, calculations for GPS mode are incredibly simple for what it’s doing (simple number crunching). The processing power between GPS and ATTI mode is negligible in modern processors. For context the computer that took the Apollo 11 to the moon, which sounds complicated, was 100,000 times less powerful than most smartphones today.

Isn't it Ambarella H22 the image processor ? I was rather thinking in the flight control processor which is a MIMXRT1061 DVL6A. Concerning the moon landing, a large part of the module control was manual and there was no GPS stream :) But it was just a question because I see no other explanation for this increased delay which is not observed in any other DJI drone (including Spark) if we except a voluntary introduction in the firmware by DJI. But why ?

Not a deal breaker for me, but this definitely happens. I find it pretty irritating. Did my first flight with a mini today and the bird is still moving after letting off the stick. Gonna try a hard reset. One member was able to go back to the original firmware, and it seemed to fix the issue. I'm hoping there will another firmware update in the future that will cure this.

Not a deal breaker for me, but this definitely happens. I find it pretty irritating. Did my first flight with a mini today and the bird is still moving after letting off the stick. Gonna try a hard reset. One member was able to go back to the original firmware, and it seemed to fix the issue. I'm hoping there will another firmware update in the future that will cure this.
No possibility to hard reset it, but, you can downgrade to 0.200 by DJI asssitant, until they give a firmware option to disable this behavior ;)

It still does it on.200 also. You need to get a firmware before that one to see any results.

It's slightly reduce, in 200, in my opinion, yeah, it's still their, but less than in 400...

I’ve been following this thread for a while now. Is it possible, that this yaw behaviour is simply “gimbal synchronous follow” or follow gimbal yaw?
I’ve compared Spark FW, Air and Mavic Mini parameters defaults. In case of the last 2 it is enabled by default. I haven’t tested to turn it off yet, but I will...
Can somebody confirm the Air has the same behaviour?

I’ve been following this thread for a while now. Is it possible, that this yaw behaviour is simply “gimbal synchronous follow” or follow gimbal yaw?
I’ve compared Spark FW, Air and Mavic Mini parameters defaults. In case of the last 2 it is enabled by default. I haven’t tested to turn it off yet, but I will...
Can somebody confirm the Air has the same behaviour?
I confirm that the Air, or the pro have an option to keep the turn movement as slow as the Mini.

Even the Spark has this option on DJIGO4...

But by default, none act like the Mini...

I have tested Spark and Mini set to default, just that saturday, and, the difference is pretty notable...

Reactions: Guarf
I confirm that the Air, or the pro have an option to keep the turn movement as slow as the Mini.

Even the Spark has this option on DJIGO4...

But by default, none act like the Mini...

I have tested Spark and Mini set to default, just that saturday, and, the difference is pretty notable...
Ok, thanks, was worth trying...

Once again-the problem is only in your hands and skills

Hilarious you are. I picked up a mini today and feel the same way as the OP. It's almost unflyable with the yaw lag. It's disappointing for sure and you say the problem is only in your hands and skills.........LOL. I've had the Spark, Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, and currently fly the Mavic 2 Pro and the Mavic Mini yaw problem is an issue for sure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout