DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Owners who have owned a P3 - Do you foresee stress cracks like the P3 line?

badgenes

Reactions
Not having touched and / or seen one of these I am curious what your thoughts are regarding this possibility. I purchased a P3A, got my first cracks inside of 30 days and returned it. Now I am waiting to either purchase a P4 or a Mavic. I like the Mavic's camera FOV and color but I'm undecided due to the possibility of cracks and the possibly reduced wind handling capacity.

Thank you,
badgenes

It's too early to tell if stress cracks are going to be an issue. Give it a few months and we should know.

Reactions: badgenes
I have to say having a P4, P3 and a Mavic in my fleet.... I think the odds of a crack is almost impossible or really unlikely. It's a totally different design, and a totally different feel to the plastic.

I think the likelihood of the arm joints breaking or wearing out are more likely. But your guess is as good as anyone's.

One wear point I see is the wiring at the front joints of the folding forward legs has this plastic mesh around it, and it seems to rub a little to hard. Don't know

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

One wear point I see is the wiring at the front joints of the folding forward legs has this plastic mesh around it, and it seems to rub a little to hard. Don't know
DJI said they folded the arms open/closed 5,000+ times with no issue. And, most people are not likely to ever hit that number.

I have to say having a P4, P3 and a Mavic in my fleet.... I think the odds of a crack is almost impossible or really unlikely. It's a totally different design, and a totally different feel to the plastic.

I think the likelihood of the arm joints breaking or wearing out are more likely. But your guess is as good as anyone's.

Following on that then, having all 3 models if you were to only have one to use for recreation / filming which would you choose and why?

I found the Mavic to be of much better quality composites. The body is VERY strong. Seems to be made out of the same or similar materials as composite materials used in firearms. This is super hard plastic and rock solid. I have taken the top cover off but have not looked at the motor mounts. However, the design of the arms being square and of better material look like they are less prone to the torquing that the P2/P3/P4 shell design. The arms are solid, single pieced, instead of two halves so the overall rigidity and strength are much better. I think if anything, the weakness will be elsewhere, such as the folding joint of the arms, etc.

I had a P3 (I fly a mavic now) and it doesn't look like the mavic will have this issue. construction is different, material is different (the P3 had brittle plastic, the mavic looks way tougher)
of course only time will tell, and im sure other issues will develop. I'm a little concerned with the mesh and wires in the arms, as well as the tiny ribbon cable on the gimbal. But it's probably fine to be honest.

I have a crack on mine! Just noticed it. 34 flights, I've had it for just under a week!
588bfb16eef42989f1198b4f5ca04efb.jpg

I have a crack on mine! Just noticed it. 34 flights, I've had it for just under a week!

I'm not saying you crashed it but that looks like an odd place for a stress crack. More likely maybe it was put away and stress was put on it while it was in a case of bag? Stress cracks would usually appear around the areas near propellers like the arms. We're landing gear from landing too hard.

I'm not saying you crashed it but that looks like an odd place for a stress crack. More likely maybe it was put away and stress was put on it while it was in a case of bag? Stress cracks would usually appear around the areas near propellers like the arms. We're landing gear from landing too hard.

I agree but at the same time it's alarming to see that so soon. I had my phantom for 7 months and tons of flights before I saw the dreaded stress cracks.

Well, it doesn't look like a widespread problem. Otherwise I think we would've seen a bunch of posts about it. Sometimes in manufacturing a batch of bad parts gets made and not caught before the product is built. Who knows, but it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. My Mavic should be arriving today and I am in cold weather, i'm going to inspect that area of the bird pretty carefully before I start flying.

I wish it was something simple like that, but I always put it really carefully into the dji bag and I make sure the bag is always on the top. I also load into into the bag nose up. Basically, I'm super careful with all of my stuff. My phantom 2 doesn't have any cracks on it and I got that when it first came out.

i have a similar defect on mine, brand new out of the box it seemed like a bump, like something pushing out from under the plastic. only noticed in light under certain angles and now I've started to see crack lines appearing:/

Agree. The plastic on the Mavic is far superior to the earlier Phantoms. Dunno about the P4 ... Also the Mavic is far lighter, so less stress is induced thru the arms, etc.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada