DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

Oh... Is that what they were on about this whole time? Geez, thanks, now I get it. DJI said it was downsized and these guys say it was "upsized" for lack of a better term. Fine. Prove it's true and pass me a pitch fork.

I think that's the issue but I'm not even clear on whether it has been definitively established or whether this is all based on a couple of poorly-controlled resolution-chart tests combined with subjective opinions on video samples.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
"Sensitivity"? It's an every day, all day thing now. They've attacked his children, his weight, his skin color, his family, etc. None of that would have been allowed during Obama. Definitely not if Hilary would have won.

I don't like him as a person, but my bank account says he's doing a decent job. I just get tired of EVERYTHING being referenced to him. What does Donald Trump have to do with this discussion of their behavior?

A quick search indicates that that was the only pejorative reference to him in the past month on this forum, ignoring specific opinions on his trade war. I gave up looking further back. So I don't think everything is being referenced to him.

Cliff‘s and my resolution chart tests are good enough to show the M2P resolution is less than P4pro‘s resolution.
We „expect“ both to do 4K resolution, M2p is even specified as being 4K resolution (not the P4p, there we read „videomodes“ or so...).

We have „fire“ now everywhere, different forums and even some Youtube videos.

Why does DJI not simply show the M2p does the specified and demanded 4K resolution/image detail or to make it easier, show that it has at least the resolving power of the P4p in 4K25p that could never exceed 4K since the image size is limited there.

BTW: some could even argue that 4K resolution needs even 8K pixels because of the Nyquist theorem.
„I say“ a discrete 4K image shows 3840x2160 individual pixels an so can display up to 3840 lines/1920 linepairs horizontally.
From our tests it can not by far!!

If anybody/DJI can show recordings coming close to the definition/specs in FFOV you are welcome!
This is hardly possible since the customer services reply speaks about some kind of binning and that it‘s weaker than P4p.

Weaker than P4p is weaker than 4K is weaker than the specs!
Life is easy - not for DJI after all this.

I think that's the issue but I'm not even clear on whether it has been definitively established or whether this is all based on a couple of poorly-controlled resolution-chart tests combined with subjective opinions on video samples.

It's been definitively established.

It's been pretty well proven at this point that the MP2 video, especially the FOV mode, is trash. Every empirical test so far shows that it is far, far behind the P4P in quality, and no one has yet pointed, even anecdotally, to video that is comparable.

Even the stills are lacking vs P4P.

If that works for you, fine, but for most of us, we're expecting something significantly better than the MP, comparable to the P4P, considering the extra ~$500 they're asking, and the brag about the 1" sensor.

Thus far, the emperor has no clothes. The reason for that is anybody's guess.

Cliff‘s and my resolution chart tests are good enough to show the M2P resolution is less than P4pro‘s resolution.
We „expect“ both to do 4K resolution, M2p is even specified as being 4K resolution (not the P4p, there we read „videomodes“ or so...).

We have „fire“ now everywhere, different forums and even some Youtube videos.

Why does DJI not simply show the M2p does the specified and demanded 4K resolution/image detail or to make it easier, show that it has at least the resolving power of the P4p in 4K25p that could never exceed 4K since the image size is limited there.

BTW: some could even argue that 4K resolution needs even 8K pixels because of the Nyquist theorem.
„I say“ a discrete 4K image shows 3840x2160 individual pixels an so can display up to 3840 lines/1920 linepairs horizontally.
From our tests it can not by far!!

If anybody/DJI can show recordings coming close to the definition/specs in FFOV you are welcome!
This is hardly possible since the customer services reply speaks about some kind of binning and that it‘s weaker than P4p.

Weaker than P4p is weaker than 4K is weaker than the specs!
Life is easy - not for DJI after all this.

Line-pair resolution has nothing to do with video standards, and none of the defined standards for 4k say anything at all about it. All that is required for 4k is a native image size of around 4000 x 2000 pixels.
so if, despite DJI's statement that it is downsampling 5.5k, the M2 is actually upsampling a smaller image, then that's not 4k, but otherwise the apparent reduction in resolution from the P4P could be due to poorer optics, either in the form of an inferior design or testing with M2Ps with out-of-spec, soft optics.

Reactions: NAUIDIVER

It's been pretty well proven at this point that the MP2 video, especially the FOV mode, is trash. Every empirical test so far shows that it is far, far behind the P4P in quality, and no one has yet pointed, even anecdotally, to video that is comparable.

If that works for you, fine, but for most of us, we're expecting something significantly better than the MP, comparable to the P4P, considering the extra ~$500 they're asking, and the brag about the 1" sensor.

It's been "definitively established" and "pretty well proven" how? I've seen a very limited number of direct comparisons and an awful lot of subjective assertion without even any samples to back them up. And you simply continued that trend. I'm not arguing that it isn't real, but I would like to know if the only quantifiable evidence so far is a couple of resolution tests. Hence my original question.

I see... I don't know, I'm much happier with the video quality of my M2P than my MP. As far as flight goes, it's no comparison.

Line-pair resolution has nothing to do with video standards, and none of the defined standards for 4k say anything at all about it. All that is required for 4k is a native image size of around 4000 x 2000 pixels.
so if, despite DJI's statement that it is downsampling 5.5k, the M2 is actually upsampling a smaller image, then that's not 4k, but otherwise the apparent reduction in resolution from the P4P could be due to poorer optics, either in the form of an inferior design or testing with M2Ps with out-of-spec, soft optics.
The ‚soft optics‘ seem to work better in HQ and photo mode - curious magic...!!??

A quick search indicates that that was the only pejorative reference to him in the past month on this forum, ignoring specific opinions on his trade war. I gave up looking further back. So I don't think everything is being referenced to him.

Sorry, I meant "everything" as an all inclusive, daily experience situation not purely related to this forum.

Just to devil's advocate a bit, when DJI lowered the price of the Mavic Pro, no one gave Trump the credit but they raise a price and he gets the blame. The same trade situation was happening so why not?

I'll admit to being a bit more patriotic than I should be. I used Obama as an illustration but I've stuck up for him on occasion as well. I once got into an actual fist fight over Bush and ended a friendship over Clinton.

Yea but my problem continues to be, why are you comparing it to the P4P? DJI never said it would be as good and it is an improvement over the MP in every way. This is like comparing the Camaro to the Corvette and being mad that the Camaro isn't as fast (my favorite analogy). "Yes but they both have V8 engines"... They are different engines, different exhausts, different chassis, different intakes, different cpus, etc. Did you really expect DJI to cram a P4P into a Mavic sized package? Is that DJI's fault? Maybe we should boycott all the channels that promoted that idea in the first place?

The ‚soft optics‘ seem to work better in HQ and photo mode - curious magic...!!??

That is supporting evidence if true. None the video tests that I've seen have included a comparison with still images, and I just see very little rigor in any of the studies that I've seen so far.

Nah...they explained this weeks ago. I don't know a ton about camera sensors but I understand processing. A sensor has X amount of data coming from it. If you focus on, say half of it, you cut your data in half as well, making it easier on the processor. Since photos aren't running at 30 fps, they also make a lessor demand on the processor. People talk about the processor and they "guess" it's a certain one that's capable of x,y and z but what speed is it clocked at? does it have to be throttled to accommodate the rest of the design? Not all computers using an I7 run at the same clock speed. Not all vehicles using a 5.7 Hemi have the same HP numbers.

it just seems like so many want to focus on whatever negative aspects they can find concerning this drone. It makes for awesome click bait I'm sure but what is the end game? To prove that the M2P isn't as good as the P4P? REALLY? No way! Well congrats you've done it! Now the question is, so?

When the P5P comes out I'm wondering if a bunch of guys will complain that it's video isn't as good as the Inspire 2 with an X4/5 because of all of this same stuff? If it does have interchangeable lenses and goes up to 5.2k you had best believe you'll be looking at a couple racks in cost! Sorry, that's $2000...

It's not about whether it SHOULD be as good as the P4 - Its that, when they sell you a drone with specifications that include a 1inch sensor downsampled to a 4K image - That implies a certain level of resolving power dependant of course on the quality of the optics. I bought the mavic 2 pro because I care about resolution and I was willing to pay a premium to have a portable body with a 1inch 4K sensor that is down sampled. Now if you change that equation and say well we only give you data from half the sensor and actually upscale a 2.7K image to 4K - THAT is false advertising.

Did I just make a mistake by purchasing the Mavic 2 pro? It hasn't shipped yet and would like to know if I should have selected a different model? Please reply ASAP, I will need to contact support in the morning.

Thank you,
Steve

Reactions: Phoenix Drone
I don't know Steve, you're going to get pragmatic answers like - Footage on youtube is compressed and that is how most content is shared these days, and don't focus on the numbers and actually spend time flying and capturing content with an all round capable machine. However, considering you're in a forum labelled with "Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?" I suspect you, like myself, care about resolution and were willing to pay premium for the bigger sensor. Therefore you do care about resolution and image quality. If that is the case, then I think its very obvious that aside from advantages with dynamic range and low light performance, there is no significant improvement in the resolution between the zoom, air or Mavic 2 pro :(.

So it comes down to how much you care about the issue.

Maybe compare this, no question, a bit weak to prove my statement about „resolution“ that I felt certain sure about.
Other definitions I found are about differentiation of (mostly repeating) conditions.
Maybe I find better proves to „image-/video resolution“ vs. image-/picturesize.

Image resolution - Wikipedia

„...Image resolution is the detail an image holds...“

„...Resolution quantifies how close lines can be to each other and still be visibly resolved....“

„...The term resolution is often considered equivalent to pixel count in digital imaging, though international standards in the digital camera field specify it should instead be called "Number of Total Pixels" in relation to image sensors, and as "Number of Recorded Pixels" for what is fully captured...“

„...Other conventions include describing pixels per length unit or pixels per area unit, such as pixels per inch or per square inch.
None of these pixel resolutions are true resolutions, but they are widely referred to as such; they serve as upper boundson image resolution...“

To be honest I was sure that „resolution“ is specified a bit stronger in standards by ITU, ISO and so on. For me that was a no brainer until now.
Not sure how a surveyor would decide on this.

When the P5P comes out I'm wondering if a bunch of guys will complain that it's video isn't as good as the Inspire 2 with an X4/5 because of all of this same stuff? If it does have interchangeable lenses and goes up to 5.2k you had best believe you'll be looking at a couple racks in cost! Sorry, that's $2000...

Not sure I see this as a fitting comparison, unless the P5P carries a price tag that is the same as an Inspire 2.

People, myself included, are concerned about the perceived quality issues on the M2P because the cost of this drone is the same as that of the P4P2 which is carrying 2yr old tech.

Reactions: mozso
Did I just make a mistake by purchasing the Mavic 2 pro? It hasn't shipped yet and would like to know if I should have selected a different model? Please reply ASAP, I will need to contact support in the morning.

Thank you,
Steve
Good question. If I’d known this major issue before. I would have waited. I’m a basic hobbiest in this With an untrained eye. I see no difference compared to my mp1. I’m sure the experts can say the opposite, but I was expecting a HUGE difference.
Considering returning myself.

Reactions: Synephrine
Good question. If I’d known this major issue before. I would have waited. I’m a basic hobbiest in this With an untrained eye. I see no difference compared to my mp1. I’m sure the experts can say the opposite, but I was expecting a HUGE difference.
Considering returning myself.

It's a big improvement over the MP1 but, if you don't see any difference, then I cannot see why you would keep it.

I had phantom 4pro. I know all this tests made by chunky about sharpens, saw few Chinese video compering sensor of phantom 4 pro and mavic, it seems to be the same sensor but phantom according them has some extra image sharpening in post processing. Don't know if this is true or not. But overall mavic 2 is much better then my old phantom 4 pro. I still can return mavic 2 if I want to but after 30 flights Im really happy with the mavic.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy