DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro-2 vs Zoom and P4P - Line Skipping + Sensor Heat?

Guys, anybody noticed a decrease in video quality when shooting in 60 fps (either 2.7K or 1080P) compared to their relevant resolutions in 30fps ? Should that be expected?

Heres a test i made in 2.7K 60fs, also i tested handheld shots with M2P altough i dint had time to do proper focusing shots because i had to keep up the pack walking pretty fast and total hike of 7km .

Where the focus is perfect the quality is superb!

Guys, anybody noticed a decrease in video quality when shooting in 60 fps (either 2.7K or 1080P) compared to their relevant resolutions in 30fps ? Should that be expected?

It probably should be expected since to achieve 60 fps the camera may be sub-sampling on the chip rather than down-sampling afterwards.

How fast does it fly? The last time I bought a flying GoPro, it cost over $1100, had horrible range, routinely lost gps, zero obstacle avoidance, limited flight modes, meh camera, etc.

About 80mph on a 300$ self built Naze32 with 100$ Gimbal..., but that still leaves 1100 for the cam...
Or even take the Mavic 1, it has more details in 4K

But I admit you are right. It does not have rear, somtimes-sideways sensors nor a cool Hasselblad sticker. ;)

Reactions: mattball
About 80mph on a 300$ self built Naze32 with 100$ Gimbal..., but that still leaves 1100 for the cam...
Or even take the Mavic 1, it has more details in 4K

But I admit you are right. It does not have rear, somtimes-sideways sensors nor a cool Hasselblad sticker. ;)

I'm building drones too, mostly based on Arducopter. What is your flight time? What about video range and obstacle avoidance. Just curious.

I'm building drones too, mostly based on Arducopter. What is your flight time? What about video range and obstacle avoidance. Just curious.
Flight Time is about 8-10min, I have no idea what you mean with "video range" (FPV cam (+ Gorpo) = always on) and the only "obstacle avoidance" there is, are my eyes and reaction.:)
But it can identify a brick wall at least as good as any DJI product, with a slight advantage with telephone lines and thin branches...;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Anndybo
If I am using HQ mode, how bad is the sensor cropped (about 1.4x)? Is it almost like the 1/2.3 inch sensor in the Zoom?

If I am using HQ mode, how bad is the sensor cropped (about 1.4x)? Is it almost like the 1/2.3 inch sensor in the Zoom?
1/2.3 is about 4x smaller (25% of 1" sensor). 1.4x crop means about 70% of sensor is used. So its still considerably bigger area.

So you're saying that this filmmaker for whom image quality is by far the most important thing is "clueless"? Seriously? Do you know who Philip Bloom is? And btw, he did agree that the P4P image was somewhat better, just not enough better to outweigh the other advantages of the Pro 2.
His work was most likely paid promo for DJI, since in truth he did not mention much new info about the product aside from officially advertised features. Seems he got the drone long ago, might have been one of the first ones to get the new mavics as he himself states in the video that this was shot in Greece and his tan was almost gone by the time he was filming from his home.

I have downloaded his original edit and watched it multiple times... While operator work, the composition, lighting and music are definitely at the top, the clarity itself is lacking (look at trees / branches even at close fly-by scenes). You can tell the footage was quite heavily sharpened in the post, which creates that noise-like shivering pixel effect (very fine grain). By no means i'm trying to tell that his footage is oversharpened, instead that there is considerable amount of post-processing involved to get to a quality of a movie that was originally released in 2000s and later re-released in 4k blue-ray (again, clarity-wise). Watch Matrix 4k trailer on youtube to understand what I mean. Unfortunately Mavic 2 Pro does not deliver true 4k at FOV mode, not even close to it, so the only thing that can make user image sharp and detailed is the creative approach and editing skills. All other aspects such as low light, the dynamic range and DLOG are definitely a win.

here is great explanation how big 1" sensor in reality is
Guys....I have been saying this and warning DJI about this: Sony fabs these sensor but they never, EVER market them as a "1inch' sensor. Sony legal department makes them call it a "1 inch-TYPE" sensor. Its size is based on vacume tube circuit measurements...not 1inch on a ruler. DJI marketing is not smart enough to follow Sony's lead and they keep saying its a 1 inch sensor on all DJI marketing! They are misleading their customers. They need to follow Sony and say "1 inch-TYPE" sensor. I have said this over and over and DJI is going to get busted if they dont listen!

QUESTIONS:

-Is M2P Better than M1P on image quality??

- Could these issues be improve or fix by a firmware update in the future?

- Is M2P capable to to do profesional footage and photographs?

I apreciatte your comments.

I just got my M2P.

Thanks!!

Better image than m1p? YES YES YES. Firmware improvements in the future? Some, but full fov video will likely always be somewhat soft compared to hq, while still better than mp1. Able to do professional video/photo? Most definitely.

Reactions: Andrija 87
His work was most likely paid promo for DJI, since in truth he did not mention much new info about the product aside from officially advertised features. Seems he got the drone long ago, might have been one of the first ones to get the new mavics as he himself states in the video that this was shot in Greece and his tan was almost gone by the time he was filming from his home.

I have downloaded his original edit and watched it multiple times... While operator work, the composition, lighting and music are definitely at the top, the clarity itself is lacking (look at trees / branches even at close fly-by scenes). You can tell the footage was quite heavily sharpened in the post, which creates that noise-like shivering pixel effect (very fine grain). By no means i'm trying to tell that his footage is oversharpened, instead that there is considerable amount of post-processing involved to get to a quality of a movie that was originally released in 2000s and later re-released in 4k blue-ray (again, clarity-wise). Watch Matrix 4k trailer on youtube to understand what I mean. Unfortunately Mavic 2 Pro does not deliver true 4k at FOV mode, not even close to it, so the only thing that can make user image sharp and detailed is the creative approach and editing skills. All other aspects such as low light, the dynamic range and DLOG are definitely a win.
Given his history, his relatively infrequent use of drones for his pro work, and his praise for the Parrot drone, I very much doubt he is shilling in any way for DJI. And while I haven't downloaded the edit, your points about the sharpening are irrelevent since he did acknowledge in the comments that line skipping was going on in full fov and that the image was not as good as the p4p. As you indicate, the 10 bit, dr and low light are big improvements, and for him the image is overall good enough for him to be planning on using it professionally more often than the p4p. I wish the full fov were better and will mostly use the hq mode, but it looks like you can get away with using the full fov when you need to. One thing's for sure: iq is considerably better than the mp1 or the Zoom.

Better image than m1p? YES YES YES. Firmware improvements in the future? Some, but full fov video will likely always be somewhat soft compared to hq, while still better than mp1. Able to do professional video/photo? Most definitely.
Thanks my friend! I just got my M2P and i am kind of debating if i made the right decision. I just want a drone caplable of doing profesional real state and small ejought to take it on my trips.

here is great explanation how big 1" sensor in reality is
Thanks for the video! So I am debating if I should return my Pro for the Zoom. I really like being able to zoom in without getting close. I don't care about the dolly zoom. So it looks like shooting in HQ, I am like 40 mm compared with 48 mm on the Zoom but still have a better sensor even though cropped. It sounds like I should keep the Pro from this perspective.

The other one I really cared about is the dynamic range. Is there any video showing how big the difference is in dynamic range between the Zoom and Pro? I am a little upset seeing that Max said not much difference in this video compared with Air:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer