DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro battery & antenna mod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok perfect! Thank you for clarifying that you were flying. I was babbled there for a moment. Haha!

I will admit, the microwave is my faraday cage also. ;)

Are you FCC or CE? Your meter readings suggest that you are CE, am I correct?

Ken

Last edited:
Never mind the FCC/CE question. I forgot your meter was in negative value dBm. It's late here and past my bedtime. Lol.

Ken

Radio tech is a hobby for many of us. I've been building an improving radio gear since I was a kid, and admittedly, I have a fetish for antenna tech. Often times it's not the distance we are looking for, but rather an improved signal in wifi congested areas - or in my case, a better signal through the heavily forested lands of the Sierra Nevada foothills where I live. Your response demonstrates a lack of desire to fully understand the gear you use to operate your RC craft. I would think that many of us would be interested in learning more about the technology that we literally hold in our hands. By doing so, incidents where you may lose your video signal, while retaining flight control, would result in a calmer reaction, and the proper response to reacquire your signal without immediately hitting your RTH button.

If you own a Mavic, then you are presumably ok with Mavic's stock (best scenario) specs of a 4.3 mile transmission range, which is clearly beyond LOS. And again - YOU already own it. But, you are struggling with a 5 mile range? My brain hurts.
Only what dji says it will go under perfect conditions. 5 miles under not so perfect conditions. That is at least 40 percent better signal

Here it is guys......5 miles out and 5 miles back ...no radio or transmission loss
full bars AND I live in NJ most dense wifi populated area....antennas db pulling
50 -52 db!!!! WOW

View attachment 6707
i may have to get these i live in Philadelphia and fly at Lemon hill and the Belmont platue in fairmount park lots of trees.

So much information my brain hurts. Anyone care to summarize what's the best antenna mod and what gains are to be expected? I live in Kansas and get about 1 mile before signal issues at my home. Little better in the rural areas. I'm happy with battery life just signal really could be improved.

You are flying irresponsibly by doing this.
Do you have insurance? 107?
I assume not because if you did, you would know the law and the law stipulates that type of flying is illegal and dangerous.
I'm reporting your post to the FAA now.
I hope they knock on your door.
There is no need to go 5 miles out anytime for anything.
The law says VLOS and you are clearly beyond that.
People like you will kill the drone industry.
There's tons of people around the world that are members and those of us that live right beside international waters.

You're not a cop and you popping off like that about an innocent innovation doesn't do anything to advance the social environment that the gracious creators and operators of this site and app have provided for us to unite and exchange ideas.

Please, just enjoy what you have and give it a break.

We are all free to disagree. That's what our republic was built upon, but there's no reason to be so spiteful.

Besides, the FAA gets so many nusance complaints from lunatics and uninformed people that answer their questions when they call to stab someone in the back, that they don't really even take it seriously.

Yes, they "follow up," so you get some sort of gratification, but you'll never get off by hearing about their investigation because you don't have the clearance or the need to know the specifics of an investigation.

To even get a copy of the completed report will require a FOIA request and that will take months.

("Trust me, I'm with the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan)

Unexpected RTH doesn't have to be a cause of crashes. Whenever there is an RTH initiated sequence that ends in a crash, it's because of lack of procedure that would have prevented the crash. IOW, if you want the benefit of RTH you have to make sure that if it triggers you're not under a tree or bridge and that the RTH landing spot is clear and accessible. RTH is a mixed blessing - and the mixing is greatest when one pushes the boundaries.

(The gods will punish me in their own good time for that statement).
DITTO AND AMEN!!! LMFAO

I'm curious... Are you off of your meds? If this thread isn't for you, why all of the fuss? Search YouTube for FPVLR antennas to get a feeling for why Tony's antennas rule the industry. And please, don't spend too much time finding the rare negative reviews allowing you to make another generalized uneducated comment. What is it with people on this thread today?
So you said you have a PHD, but you can't see spending $120 for an experiment? #Bull

By your replies, you know nothing but what you've read or haven't read about wavelength propagation.

Give your real name, year of graduation from what school and once I have verified and a copy of your driver's license for positive identification, I'll believe everything you say.

(You can send it in a private message if you prefer...)

So you said you have a PHD, but you can't see spending $120 for an experiment? #Bull

By your replies, you know nothing but what you've read or haven't read about wavelength propagation.

Give your real name, year of graduation from what school and once I have verified and a copy of your driver's license for positive identification, I'll believe everything you say.

Are you talking to me?

Dude, lighten up! People like you are the ones that kill small business. Tony may be working in a small shop building a great product with many good reviews. If people report positive effects then believe it and buy it or buy something else. It costs money to provide professional testing results. If it works and no complaints, let the guy make a Buck.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MavicPilots mobile app
Exactly. This isn't North Korea. He's a small business owner that provides EXCELLENT customer service and people slamming him, having NO interaction with him, is just hateful.

All this troll has to do is contact him or the other companies to ask his "questions."

But, he won't do that.

He just covents what others have.

As for myself, I just received this directly from the company in Poland yesterday. (4Hawks)

They were extremely helpful, replied to my email in English and didn't take long to get it to me for a reasonable price.

It looks big, but it's extremely light. I'm waiting from them to test and ship amps for it.

I'll be installing it myself ASAP.

I know this is an older thread, but it has new revelance with our M2s being out now...Screenshot_20180905-003235.jpegRaptor%20XR%20Range%20Extender%20Mavic%20-%204.jpeg

Kinda freaky ~using a long-dead internet argument to hold someone personally accountable to you directly; interesting, to say the least. The internet has once again not let me down today.

Reactions: dirkclod
I too would like to see the spec's and RF radiation pattern, but on the other hand as a long time HAM I know that the 'Yagi' antenna design has been around for a long time and has proven performance, I have used them for many rigs from 2-20 meters FM & UHF/VHF radios.
As a former cold war era radio operator from the jungles of SE Asia, I can tell you we used a wide variety of field expeditent antennas, especially for our AN/PRC-25 and AN/PRC-77 VHF radios, frequently imploying a yagi design, and they worked amazing well.

Heck, we even even drove nails the long way thru D cell batteries the long way to make a 50 ohm resistor for the antennas and it worked great!

Shannon, there are really 2 competing long range antenna for the Mavic. We have the Maxx Uav and the FPVLR. Do you have any thoughts on the comparison between the 2? For me, I'm leaning toward the FPLVR as it looks more compact after unscrewing the antenna. For raw performance, do you see any advantages of one over the other? The Maxx Uav looks to be amplified. Is the FPLVR amplified? If not, can an amplifier be installed for even more signal? Is one antenna more directional than the other? Any thought you can provide would be greatly appreciated. You seem well studied on the subject.
Now days, we have the option of the 4Hawks SR or XR to choose from.

I'm going with the XR because it's make in Poland, not China. :)

Jkantiques, are the fpvlr easy to unscrew and remove for transport?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
The Raptor XR and SR, which are out now, are extremely easy to detach too. :)

(I'm just stoked to have received it and can't wait to install it!)

And we need to fly 5 miles out because...... ?

Unless you're doing a land survey in TX or other unpopulated spot this seems like a pointless mod. I can't even think of a cinematic reason why flying 5 miles would be necessary. Are you applying for a job at Amazon?
Having better signal reception is always a good thing. :)

I was in open space last week and was getting the magnetic interference warning while hiking. No power lines or anything close by
Mineral deposits underground and other naturally occurring eviromental conditions can create an issue with communications, sometimes creating dead zones...

There's tons of people around the world that are members and those of us that live right beside international waters.

You're not a cop and you popping off like that about an innocent innovation doesn't do anything to advance the social environment that the gracious creators and operators of this site and app have provided for us to unite and exchange ideas.

Please, just enjoy what you have and give it a break.

We are all free to disagree. That's what our republic was built upon, but there's no reason to be so spiteful.

Besides, the FAA gets so many nusance complaints from lunatics and uninformed people that answer their questions when they call to stab someone in the back, that they don't really even take it seriously.

Yes, they "follow up," so you get some sort of gratification, but you'll never get off by hearing about their investigation because you don't have the clearance or the need to know the specifics of an investigation.

To even get a copy of the completed report will require a FOIA request and that will take months.

("Trust me, I'm with the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan)
Whoa bro..you just quoted someone who has not been here in almost a year to the day.
Now not sure why or what you are doing but look at the dates of the post before you quote them if you don't mind.
Like this thread was stoped like 8 months ago .
Thanks

There were no trees. Wide open ground. I agree I could've gone higher. Was at 50m out to that point but rose to 80 to give better clearance and signal but it was still dodgy. Decided to turn around and come home.

The Mavic was hovering about 400m away after flying back and had the app disconnect and wouldn't reconnect. Hit RTH to get it home although ATTI would've been fine. I'm not happy with the number of disconnects under Marshmallow on my Moto Z Play. I might have to get an iPad. Did you feel the earth quake and the disturbance in the Force when I said that?
My crige was felt by my wife. (We're sitting on my grandfather's glide rocker...)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143