DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro boring for me once I learned I can't fly out of LOS

I can hear a chopper in the air 3+ miles out so I don't get what is the big deal about flying my drone 0.2 miles away. As soon as I heard a helicopter I would go low, sport mode back to land.

Hopefully someday the drone tech can exist to detect and alert of other vehicles near the same airspace so people can safely fly 10+ miles out.[/QUOTE]
You discount a number of possibilities. by that statement.

I wouldn't like to say that if you saw a chopper coming near you couldn't get the drone back and to safety again, but the possibility exists you can hear the approaching hazard and can't see it or tell where its coming from, or like happened to me in the US you neither see nor hear the low flying aircraft even with the drone comfortably in visual range ( maybe 600feet away) and only at a modest height, around 180feet. I had two ( I assume military) trainer aircraft come low over trees I was hovering my drone over, when I was flying taking some shots of a farm I was staying at ( with the owners permission). The wind slight though it was was carrying the sound of the aircraft away from me and literally 5 or 6 seconds before they appeared in sight did I hear them at all. I was flying in an area classed as safe and not near any airfield.(using the B4UFly app for guidance). I don't think there was ever any risk of a collision the aircraft were probably a good bit higher than my drone though they looked hellish close to me as a newbie, but could I have done anything about it in time? No chance.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I wouldn't like to say that if you saw a chopper coming near you couldn't get the drone back and to safety again, but the possibility exists you can hear the approaching hazard and can't see it or tell where its coming from, or like happened to me in the US you neither see nor hear the low flying aircraft even with the drone comfortably in visual range ( maybe 600feet away) and only at a modest height, around 180feet. I had two ( I assume military) trainer aircraft come low over trees I was hovering my drone over, when I was flying taking some shots of a farm I was staying at ( with the owners permission). The wind slight though it was was carrying the sound of the aircraft away from me and literally 5 or 6 seconds before they appeared in sight did I hear them at all. I was flying in an area classed as safe and not near any airfield.(using the B4UFly app for guidance). I don't think there was ever any risk of a collision the aircraft were probably a good bit higher than my drone though they looked hellish close to me as a newbie, but could I have done anything about it in time? No chance.

What about flying 100 feet or lower? No helicopter will be flying that low over an urban area.

I was literally flying on the top of some very big trees that surrounded the property. It was in the middle of what I think was a small forest of a very large wood. I was clearing the trees really by just enough to get a shot of the house. Hence also the reason seeing something coming was impossible.

Pretty new here and to droning. Got my MPP a few weeks ago and a few flights under my belt. I printed out the manual and read it many times.
Since there is a lot of discussion here about flying at night (which I haven’t tried yet), how does this affect the craft when you use RTH? The manual states many times about low ambient lighting and basically causing the foward and downward avoidance feature to be useless. Does anyone use RTH at night or do you use it and set the return path at 120 meters or above your highest obstacle ?
Thanks in advance.

I agree with FlyGuy8675309. I used RTH pretty much every time when I started and now I only use it occasionally to come home but always land it myself - unless I’m showing off the crazy cool technology to someone on how it lands within inches of its takeoff location with RTH or low batt warning down to RTH function only...

I agree with FlyGuy8675309. I used RTH pretty much every time when I started and now I only use it occasionally to come home but always land it myself - unless I’m showing off the crazy cool technology to someone on how it lands within inches of its takeoff location with RTH or low batt warning down to RTH function only...
Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks !

Thanks but doesn’t really answer the question about RTH at night and what anyone else does.

To answer the original question then... RTH does not rely on the visual or sonic sensors to return to the home point. RTH is principally based on GPS positioning and will work perfectly fine, with two minor issues. The two issues are 1) obstacle avoidance (but this is the same for flying manually to the home point). The aircraft won't be able to see and avoid an obstacle during its return or landing. Less likely generally with RTH since the height will be at the current height or higher, and manually most people will fly at the current height or lower.

And 2) as previously mentioned, assisted landing. Unless the landing location is well lit, the visual system (VPS) won't be able to detect the ground well and the Mavic will need to rely solely on the ultrasonic sensors. It may be difficult to determine its absolute altitude, so the landing protection system may not work properly.

In the end, hitting RTH at night in the dark is perfectly fine and the quad will return to the home point as it would during the day. At that point, it would be best to cancel the automated landing and bring it down manually for a slow and careful touchdown. With a well-lit landing site, RTH and landing protection will work just like in the day.

I was having so much fun, flying responsibly (away from houses, people, roads, etc) and even got a Crystalsky Ultra so I can see much better. Its amazing how clear it is and how easy it is to fly without LOS with the CS. I'd mainly just fly out over trees and empty areas around 150-200 ft altitude and explore. Most I'd go is around 2,000 feet away. At that distance the Mavic is too small to see in the sky, but I have zero issue navigating or with orientation. Nothing crazy, the furthest I got was 3,000 feet away for a few minutes then turned around but still so fun to fly something by just navigating with the CS screen and tools.

After digging more I realized I was "ABSOLUTELY" not supposed to fly out of LOS. Since then I've only flown where I can see the drone (a few hundred feet away) and its just incredibly boring for me. I can only fly to what I can see and the CS is pretty much useless.

Anyone have any ideas for dealing with this or fun things to do while in LOS? I went out today and basically flew circles over a lake and then got bored in 10 minutes and went home.

Just get a buddy and place him/her as a lookout. Anyone comes accusing just say you have the lookout and how in hell are they gonna prove otherwise. They wont bother. Dont see the danger in bending the rules as long as everything goes fine. However, its like in all other aspects in life..... if it does go wrong while bending/breaking the law...... its gonna be all on you. Better hope the props stay on

Yeah its a shame I can't fly further with it because that seems to be the whole point and what it was designed for (why make it a 4 mile range if you can't go beyond a few hundred feet?)

Flying around in circles only 200 feet away and not being able to explore what I can't already see gets boring QUICK. Especially when the tech is right there in front me but I'm not "allowed" to use it.

Not really a good reference. It’s like saying why make a car that can go 200 mph when you can only drive 65 on the highway.. lol

I was having so much fun, flying responsibly (away from houses, people, roads, etc) and even got a Crystalsky Ultra so I can see much better. Its amazing how clear it is and how easy it is to fly without LOS with the CS. I'd mainly just fly out over trees and empty areas around 150-200 ft altitude and explore. Most I'd go is around 2,000 feet away. At that distance the Mavic is too small to see in the sky, but I have zero issue navigating or with orientation. Nothing crazy, the furthest I got was 3,000 feet away for a few minutes then turned around but still so fun to fly something by just navigating with the CS screen and tools.

After digging more I realized I was "ABSOLUTELY" not supposed to fly out of LOS. Since then I've only flown where I can see the drone (a few hundred feet away) and its just incredibly boring for me. I can only fly to what I can see and the CS is pretty much useless.

Anyone have any ideas for dealing with this or fun things to do while in LOS? I went out today and basically flew circles over a lake and then got bored in 10 minutes and went home.
Try learning how to fly precise cinematic moves.. Use the Mavic as a movie making tool rather than a flying toy. It’s a lot more difficult than you might think. Or, get a racing drone.

Buy a fixed wing trainer. Flying fixed wing will never get boring. You'll always be trying to fly better.

I fly LOS whenever I can see it.

What’s the point of staying within line of sight when you look at your screen the whole time you fly. I have tall trees around me I go 200 feet up and fly. I never look up the sun hurts my eyes lol

I don’t know about you but I never fly past 3k feet, but have flown in 4 countries and countless amazing videos that I can’t wait to edit them all. Still get excited about the next project. I do agreee it’s pretty boring to fly in my own neighborhood though.

Such an enjoyable, spirited discussion with protagonists and antagonists (pick your own) - apparently at least as exciting as flying our drones for those of getting THIS deep into the thread!
And me? I’m the PIC and for longer flights and I rely of a trained eagle to pilot my MA ;) But once the Mavic Air UltraLite hits the market weighing in at .54 pounds and not bound by 336 and 107, then so much for the “friendly skies...”
And speaking of Ultra-Lights, I can see it now, hundreds of FPV flyers simultaneously flying in close quarters, frequently smacking into on another with lots of debris coming down (the sky is falling, the sky is falling)!
Or worse, taking down an ultra-lite flyer from time to time when the pilot gets hit in the face at 40 MPH that lacerated the eye.
I just hope it’s not me... or YOU!
Happy trails and skyways,
Michael

I would say that the majority of flyers stretch the rules a little, if you get my meaning. Don't do anything stupid and you should be ok.
I sometimes stretch the rules... just a little, by only a few thousand feet altitude.

Attachments

• B6E27BE6-C91C-4048-A529-A648AE0CBF6B.jpeg
    B6E27BE6-C91C-4048-A529-A648AE0CBF6B.jpeg
    490.4 KB · Views: 46
  • BCCCE961-F2CF-44FE-8588-69B80D2494AE.jpeg
    BCCCE961-F2CF-44FE-8588-69B80D2494AE.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 9A6480BC-32A4-4542-8D8E-1AD170A6C7CD.jpeg
    9A6480BC-32A4-4542-8D8E-1AD170A6C7CD.jpeg
    421.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 72C95ADA-F2CA-49B8-9985-DBF5162E5D53.jpeg
    72C95ADA-F2CA-49B8-9985-DBF5162E5D53.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 342AE772-595D-4E19-A57E-078F05D0C8C0.jpeg
    342AE772-595D-4E19-A57E-078F05D0C8C0.jpeg
    757.8 KB · Views: 43
I don't follow the rules to the point.
The rules are boring as hell. In Sweden you don't need to ask for flying permission for cat 1 drones (below 7kg) unless you fly out of line of sight.
I applies for out of LoS permission but they wanted 600 euros and that I pass a flying test.
Yeah, screw that.
So I just fly out of line of sight anyway. And taking photos at 500m altitude is so much better than lame 120m which is the limit. I just make sure there are no other flying objects near me.
I do follow the rules not to fly in no flight zones though.

I have a nice bright strobe on my Mavic and it helps a lot seeing it farther out ,give it a try .You can find them at Carolina Drones ,Ebay for under 30 bucks .

You can fly out of LOS. ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard