DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Drifting\Not flying straight

Myatch

Reactions
Hi mates! I am afraid I am now the one who posts "my mavic is not flying straight" posts...

I read about quite similar situations but did not find anyone really solving this. The issue is quite straightforward - drone is not flying forward straight :) but drifts to the right although the right stick is being pressed strictly up (when going there) or down (when coming back).

If you check the flight record below, you would see that the lines are not completely staight but kind of "bent". Also when I off the stick and then comig backwards, drone makes significant shift, the lines look like letter "/\/\/\"

Such bird's behaviour is regardless of any wind or location, same in the city and outside. Also, RC, compass and MTU are calibrated, gimbal calibrated, gumbal syncroneous follow is off and latest software is installed. I alsontried another props, no luck.

Maybe you have some thought on this, probably there is something I can try apart from above? I would be very grateful for your replies.

Thank you.
Mikhail.

have you tried stick calibration for the controller

Reactions: Myatch and sadatoni
I would say it MAY rotate when howering just very slightly from time to time, not constantly, not cured by compass calibration

yes, did it several times
when you do your IMU calibration do you make sure that the drone is on a perfectly flat surface during the calibration do you check it with a spirit level just asking it is important

Reactions: Myatch
when you do your IMU calibration do you make sure that the drone is on a perfectly flat surface during the calibration do you check it with a spirit level just asking it is important
Yes, exactly, rock solid surface, checked with level. I am thinking of faulty complass but how could I make sure - I do not know, in the sensor state menu everything looks good

It may need a compass degaussing using Cfixer or something similar.

there is only one more thing i can think of when you fly your mave do you use thumbs on top of sticks or the thumb and forefinger grip. in the thumbs method when you are flying forwards or backwards, it is very easy to put some slight side movement into the stick with out knowing you are doing it. the controls are very sensitive to the slightest movement and if you are concentrating on VLOS or looking at the view on the screen this can happen

It may need a compass degaussing using Cfixer or something similar.
thanks! will try that, I did it some time ago with very mild effect, but I'll repear, kind of last resort for me
there is only one more thing i can think of when you fly your mave do you use thumbs on top of sticks or the thumb and forefinger grip. in the thumbs method when you are flying forwards or backwards, it is very easy to put some slight side movement into the stick with out knowing you are doing it. the controls are very sensitive to the slightest movement and if you are concentrating on VLOS or looking at the view on the screen this can happen
thank you for advice, I was using thumbs only, will degauss tomorrow and try another grip, who knows, maybe it will help

Have you tested just taking off indoors somewhere safe and seeing if the AC can successfully stay still and hover using opti-mode (which it would go into in the absence of a GPS signal)? I would try that to see what the AC does, will it fight to stay still or will it drift. I have taken off so many times in a small room and I feel its very safe to do as long as no other input except up and down is used. As an added safety tip you could turn off the downward sensors just for this and if the AC starts to drift you can land in less than a second.

Have you tested just taking off indoors somewhere safe and seeing if the AC can successfully stay still and hover using opti-mode (which it would go into in the absence of a GPS signal)? I would try that to see what the AC does, will it fight to stay still or will it drift. I have taken off so many times in a small room and I feel its very safe to do as long as no other input except up and down is used. As an added safety tip you could turn off the downward sensors just for this and if the AC starts to drift you can land in less than a second.
Without GPS and downward sensors, the MP will be free to drift and would not be an indicator of anything wrong. It's own prop wash would cause a drift indoors.

thanks! will try that, I did it some time ago with very mild effect, but I'll repear, kind of last resort for me

thank you for advice, I was using thumbs only, will degauss tomorrow and try another grip, who knows, maybe it will help
you could change the expo setting for the right stick in the app mine are 40 for throttle up down 15 for yaw and 30 for forwards back left right this make the movement of the mav less sensitive to stick input have you ever altered yours

My M2P just holds its ground and has never drifted because its using the downward cameras to hold position? Not sure if that feature is on all models, apologies if this is the case here.

My M2P just holds its ground and has never drifted because its using the downward cameras to hold position? Not sure if that feature is on all models, apologies if this is the case here.
When indoors without GPS, the downward sensors are used to hold position. Even then, they need a unique pattern to look at to work properly (not just a carpet with no changing pattern). When they are turned off there is nothing to hold position. If the room is large enough then prop wash would not be much of a factor but if you get close to a wall or ceiling it can be effected ( I got too close to a ceiling and it sucked itself right to it).

you could change the expo setting for the right stick in the app mine are 40 for throttle up down 15 for yaw and 30 for forwards back left right this make the movement of the mav less sensitive to stick input have you ever altered yours
Yes, I changed default figures for smooth movements. It definetely may help while you are moving, I do agree, but should not affect howering I think. Mine are 0.25 - 0,1 - 0,15.
Without GPS and downward sensors, the MP will be free to drift and would not be an indicator of anything wrong. It's own prop wash would cause a drift indoors.
interesting point, will try that now

Yes, I changed default figures for smooth movements. It definetely may help while you are moving, I do agree, but should not affect howering I think. Mine are 0.25 - 0,1 - 0,15.

interesting point, will try that now
oh well, maybe some techno wizard will have a definitive answer good luck in your search

Last edited:
If stick input is suspected (either miscalibration or slight human input), you can play back your flight with stick view on. It will then show stick value. Anything non-zero means the RC detected stick input in that direction.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Voytek