DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro (folded) sitting flat, isn't there pressure on the prop center?

pookguy88

Reactions
I'm having this weird thought, so when the Mavic is folded and sitting flat on a table or even surface, doesn't part of it stand on the center of the two rear props? Isn't this not very stable/safe for the props??Aren't you putting weight on them?

432895-folded.jpg

thanks mate, wasn't asking for the weight of birds (or anything else) though
He makes a relevant point though. 734 grams is about 26 ounces. With four points of contact to rest on, that equates to about 6.5 ounces on each of the prop hubs. That's insignificant.

The Mavic has been out for months now. Have you read anything about the rear props failing because of the burden they're carrying?

when the mavic is in the air the center of the prop is experiencing roughly the same forces, after all the props is whats holding the mavic in the air.
Except in the opposite direction, not that it matters much either way.

I always leave the front 'legs' extended so my Mavic doesn't rest on the blades. It might not be an issue if you don'g but it certainly never will be for me.

I'm having this weird thought, so when the Mavic is folded and sitting flat on a table or even surface, doesn't part of it stand on the center of the two rear props? Isn't this not very stable/safe for the props??Aren't you putting weight on them?

432895-folded.jpg

I'd need to inspect it in person to see what exactly is under pressure. The fuselage or 2 connected parts or the motors.
If either of the latter two, I need to inspect how flimsy they appear.

Bird weights 734 grams mate

Weight has nothing to do with it.
I understand your point that the device is light weight.
But light weight against what?

743 grams on an apple is not like 743 grams on a quail egg. Right?
The top weight must be weighed against what it is squashing.

He makes a relevant point though. 734 grams is about 26 ounces. With four points of contact to rest on, that equates to about 6.5 ounces on each of the prop hubs. That's insignificant.

The Mavic has been out for months now. Have you read anything about the rear props failing because of the burden they're carrying?

Regarding your first paragraph, this is assuming its truly balanced. Rarely have I seen things like this truly balanced from the manufacturer.
It costs them much much more time & money.
Generally speaking, only precision tools are balanced fully. Like medical or aircraft (real planes) instruments.

Regarding your second point, that only means it hasn't happened in 9 months.
It doesn't mean it won't happen ever, or tomorrow.
We don't know up to what specs they designed it to hold. A year? 2 years? Till warranty expires? Till mavic 2 comes out? :p
It's called predetermined obsolescence.

Reactions: Kennetf
I have my Mavic in a fitted hard case. I can see indentations from all 4 motor shafts inside the case. I don't pack any type of weight on top of the quad. I'm suspecting the amount of torque I'm placing on those motor shafts when flying. Is far greater than the Mavics weight and a little some more.

Reactions: Rbruz
Regarding your first paragraph, this is assuming its truly balanced. Rarely have I seen things like this truly balanced from the manufacturer. Generally speaking, only precision tools are balanced fully. Like medical or aircraft (real planes) instruments.
That's why I used the word "about."

Is it exactly balanced? No. But it's close, and it's a minor amount of weight.

These prop assemblies spin at 5,000+ rpm and undergo a lot of stresses in flight, for acceleration, lifting and braking. Resting with about 6.5 ounces on them, assuming the Mavic isn't stored in a padded case, is insignificant.

This is trying to worry about a problem that doesn't exist.

Oh, by the way, the two rear props can be replaced for about $9 U.S. and probably should be periodically anyway. Non-problem solved.

Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people have been flying Mavics for nine months, some of them for quite a number of hours per week. If this were a problem, some heavy users would have experienced problems by now.

If you're really worried about this, put your Mavic in a padded case, on its side, and replace the rear props fairly often. Or, you know, just inspect them once in a while.

Last edited:
That's why I used the word "about."

Is it exactly balanced? No. But it's close, and it's a minor amount of weight.

These prop assemblies spin at 50,000+ rpm and undergo a lot of stresses in flight, for acceleration, lifting and braking. Resting with about 6.5 ounces on them, assuming the Mavic isn't stored in a padded case, is insignificant.

This is trying to worry about a problem that doesn't exist.

Oh, by the way, the two rear props can be replaced for about $9 U.S. and probably should be periodically anyway. Non-problem solved.

Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of people have been flying Mavics for nine months, some of them for quite a number of hours per week. If this were a problem, some heavy users would have experienced problems by now.

If you're really worried about this, put your Mavic in a padded case, on its side, and replace the rear props fairly often. Or, you know, just inspect them once in a while.

OP is referring to the motors not props.

My comment was based on motor not prop.

These prop assemblies spin at 50,000+ rpm and undergo a lot of stresses in flight, for acceleration, lifting and braking. Resting with about 6.5 ounces on them, assuming the Mavic isn't stored in a padded case, is insignificant.

lol not 50k rpm, try again,

Reactions: Rbruz
it's actually the motors but they are under the center of the 2 props.. that's where the main pressure point is

and thank you @Hedonist222 for seeing my point

lol not 50k rpm, try again,
Corrected the typo. But my point it still valid. The motors and props undergo far more stress in flight that resting a few ounces on them at rest. And that's assuming you leave your Mavic sitting around on a hard surface when it's not in use and not in a padded case.

The entire "point" of this thread is a nonissue.

I'd need to inspect it in person to see what exactly is under pressure. The fuselage or 2 connected parts or the motors.
If either of the latter two, I need to inspect how flimsy they appear.

Weight has nothing to do with it.
I understand your point that the device is light weight.
But light weight against what?

743 grams on an apple is not like 743 grams on a quail egg. Right?
The top weight must be weighed against what it is squashing.

Regarding your first paragraph, this is assuming its truly balanced. Rarely have I seen things like this truly balanced from the manufacturer.
It costs them much much more time & money.
Generally speaking, only precision tools are balanced fully. Like medical or aircraft (real planes) instruments.

It doesn't mean it won't happen ever, or tomorrow.
We don't know up to what specs they designed it to hold. A year? 2 years? Till warranty expires? Till mavic 2 comes out? [emoji14]
It's called predetermined obsolescence.
I agree with both of your points. The only thing I would say is, the fact there has been literally millions of these machines bought world wide and this hasn't been an issue for anyone to date, therefore I would take a logical guess that probability leans towards this being a highly unlikely issue.
I could be wrong though.

432895-folded.jpg
Think of it like this..
This machine is capable of accelerating around 40mph and braking hard when needed. That will stress it more than anything

Reactions: Kennetf
My mavic sits on 2 plastic "legs" attached to fuselage, not sure what's your problem , guys.

The props have a small spring loaded shaft in the middle so surely that would take the weight also it is how they are delivered so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13