DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro forced landing dangerously, DJI avoid responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I propose DJI do the experiment by flying the same height and distance as I did at 20% even at high wind velocity, they can program without force landing, then press return home. Let it return to you and see how much battery left.

Last edited:
There is an obvious (or not) question that I don't think has been discussed here... Critical battery forced landing is preprogrammed to trigger @10%, not 20% ~as it did (DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com). It appears that the OP may have changed this setting at some point along the way to 20%... Right?

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
Good question. As I mentioned earlier I've never experienced this previously plenty of times i flied 12-15%, I assumed I set at 10%. But this time it just decided to land at 20%, not sure why. And 20% is not usual critically low battery.

upload_2018-3-2_16-19-17.png

At 20% it shows critically low, and then the remaining battery is only enough for RTH. Why bother to force landing if it can return home

Just to clarify, I canceled at 30% not 20%. At 20% it shows the warning of final chance to return to home and it's already auto landing.

I was planing to call home at 20% but it's already forced landing.
This is simply too late. At 20% you should have been on the ground already, not starting to come back.
It is good recommended practice to be on the ground at 30%, and never ever be in the air at 10%.

It can still land safely at 0%.
NO. Around 0% the battery will turn itself off and the aircraft will fall like a brick, depending on any accumulated measurement error. The battery gauge is NOT like your car's and the technology is much more prone to errors, which is why 10-20% safety margin is required.

Not asking you to buy it but asking DJI to be more responsible on this. No matter how high I flew, it should come home at 20% battery not auto landing
The reason it did not return is that you told it "I don't want you to" when you were at 30%. When you cancel auto return once it will not initiate it again.

The smart system plans to initiate RTH to be on the ground at your set "low" level i.e. 20% in this case and will initiate RTH accordingly depending on distance.
If you ignore that then it will initiate landing in place in order to be on the ground at the "critical" level set, or 10% here. It did exactly that.

Hope one day you will taste whatever I have experienced.
We won't becasue we're not stupid enough to put ourselfes in such an unsafe situation in the first place.

Anyway, when is someone banning that troll? All of the user name, story and attitude are strikingly similar to that other one a few weeks ago. It looks SO much like both those "stories" are totally made up only to bash DJI...

Anyway, when is someone banning that troll? All of the user name, story and attitude are strikingly similar to that other one a few weeks ago. It looks SO much like both those "stories" are totally made up only to bash DJI...

Thanks. Yes I am making up story to bash DJI. I think DJI should be banned totally. Happy now?

NO. Around 0% the battery will turn itself off and the aircraft will fall like a brick, depending on any accumulated measurement error. The battery gauge is NOT like your car's and the technology is much more prone to errors, which is why 10-20% safety margin is required.

See how far it can go with 0% battery. That's why I trust DJi in the first place. Don't comment if you've never try. Only show your stupidity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Mavic
See how far it can go with 0% battery. That's why I trust DJi in the first place. Don't comment if you've never try. Only show your stupidity.
You did not read my post that said depending on any accumulated measurement error.

The fact you may be able to fly some time at 0% is the indication of an error, not deliberate. That error can also go the other way, with the battery turning off while indicating 10%, and that's why you should never go any close to that. Don't comment when you don't know how this technology works and your comment can put others in dangerous situations should they make the mistake of believing you.

I've got over $4,500 US invested in DJI drones. I've crashed them so many times that adding up the repairs probably adds another Hamilton or maybe even two, to the mix LOL. Most of the crashes were inside my house... i don't fly indoors anymore.

Every crash I made was pilot error. However, once I learned how the system worked, my crashes ended. I learned how to adjust my battery warning settings; of which, there are two. One is the initial battery low warning, and the second, its "I hope your were paying attention because i'm going to land' mode. Both of these are operator adjustable.

I played around with both and ending up with the first at 50% (but don't care for the beeping). I like to know where the half way point is. But the variables such as wind direction, battery temperature, ambient temperature, altitude, obstacles, ground speed, etc all have to be factored in during your flight.

I drive a chevy Volt. In 70 degree weather is says I get 47 miles on a charge. When the temp drops into the teens, I get 27 miles on a charge. The numbers are based on me driving on a flat plain with no wind (just the drag created by forward motion, which increases exponentially as speed increases).

The same holds true for a drone. Just because the battery indicates a full charge doesn't mean anything other than it has reached full capacity. What you do with that charge is crucial to a successful takeoff, flight, and landing. DJI only provided us with the components, its up to us to educate ourselves on the system.

YouTube has a video of someone reaching 15,000 feet in a drone then complaining that it crashed due to depleted battery. First off, 15,000 feet is putting peoples lives in danger in the air. Turning it into a vomit comet by depleting the battery to zero at high altitude is putting peoples lives on the ground in danger. Do some calculations using Newtons law and Imagine getting hit is the head by a battery descending from just 100 feet.

If I were so inconsiderate about crashing through the windshield of aircraft at 15,000 feet ( some of which are traveling at 8 miles per second), that I couldn't resist the temptation, then my DJI Mavic has the ability to allow me to shut down the motors at any point, free fall to a desired altitude, and restart for a safe landing. Would I ever try it, absolutely not. I.m a pilot as well and the thought of hitting a drone at even 1000 feet is a horrifying thought.

While my initial post may have seemed harsh, it simply because its people like you who break the law,and who don't know what they are doing with respect to aerospace and aircraft, put peoples lives in danger. Then when things go wrong. you look for someone to blame.

Summary:

You flew your drone above the legal altitude, thus depleting your battery in the process. (keep in mind that temperature drops anywhere from 1 to 5 degrees per 1000 feet, depending on the weather and geographical region)...remember the chevy volt, less distance in the cold, less distance climbing mountains)

You set your auto landing at 20%. Nothing wrong with that but don.t complain when it does exactly what its designed to do. ( i flew with the wind once to 50% battery. When I turned towards home, to my surprise, my ground speed was almost zero. my first instinct was to locate a field and prepare for emergency landing, which I accomplished, Afterwards, I simply got in my car and followed the blue dot on my Go 4 app towards the red plane icon, and bingo, it was right where i expected it to be). I did rush though, just in case a hound dog happen by, a drone would make for a great chew toy.

If you weren't able to find your drone then I suspect anything from the battery being dislodged upon impact, thus no GPS signal, to the drone sinking to the bottom of a pond. Or better yet, a blast from a shotgun as it hurled towards some unsuspecting hunter.

I actually hope you find your drone, take some of these posts, and put the criticism to use. I don't need you to like me or dislike me, just be safe, and for Pete's sake, stop blaming others.

You did not read my post that said depending on any accumulated measurement error.

The fact you may be able to fly some time at 0% is the indication of an error, not deliberate. That error can also go the other way, with the battery turning off while indicating 10%, and that's why you should never go any close to that. Don't comment when you don't know how this technology works and your comment can put others in dangerous situations should they make the mistake of believing you.

The batteries are not cheap. 20% should be 20%, 0% should be 0%. I trust that 0% can still fly because it has some safety mechanism. But if you tell me 20% and I cannot fly anymore, that's rubbish. Something I forgot to mention, I was using mavic pro platinum propeller, that should give me even longer fly time too!!!

Last edited:
I've got over $4,500 US invested in DJI drones. I've crashed them so many times that adding up the repairs probably adds another Hamilton or maybe even two, to the mix LOL. Most of the crashes were inside my house... i don't fly indoors anymore.

Every crash I made was pilot error. However, once I learned how the system worked, my crashes ended. I learned how to adjust my battery warning settings; of which, there are two. One is the initial battery low warning, and the second, its "I hope your were paying attention because i'm going to land' mode. Both of these are operator adjustable.

I played around with both and ending up with the first at 50% (but don't care for the beeping). I like to know where the half way point is. But the variables such as wind direction, battery temperature, ambient temperature, altitude, obstacles, ground speed, etc all have to be factored in during your flight.

I drive a chevy Volt. In 70 degree weather is says I get 47 miles on a charge. When the temp drops into the teens, I get 27 miles on a charge. The numbers are based on me driving on a flat plain with no wind (just the drag created by forward motion, which increases exponentially as speed increases).

The same holds true for a drone. Just because the battery indicates a full charge doesn't mean anything other than it has reached full capacity. What you do with that charge is crucial to a successful takeoff, flight, and landing. DJI only provided us with the components, its up to us to educate ourselves on the system.

YouTube has a video of someone reaching 15,000 feet in a drone then complaining that it crashed due to depleted battery. First off, 15,000 feet is putting peoples lives in danger in the air. Turning it into a vomit comet by depleting the battery to zero at high altitude is putting peoples lives on the ground in danger. Do some calculations using Newtons law and Imagine getting hit is the head by a battery descending from just 100 feet.

If I were so inconsiderate about crashing through the windshield of aircraft at 15,000 feet ( some of which are traveling at 8 miles per second), that I couldn't resist the temptation, then my DJI Mavic has the ability to allow me to shut down the motors at any point, free fall to a desired altitude, and restart for a safe landing. Would I ever try it, absolutely not. I.m a pilot as well and the thought of hitting a drone at even 1000 feet is a horrifying thought.

While my initial post may have seemed harsh, it simply because its people like you who break the law,and who don't know what they are doing with respect to aerospace and aircraft, put peoples lives in danger. Then when things go wrong. you look for someone to blame.

Summary:

You flew your drone above the legal altitude, thus depleting your battery in the process. (keep in mind that temperature drops anywhere from 1 to 5 degrees per 1000 feet, depending on the weather and geographical region)...remember the chevy volt, less distance in the cold, less distance climbing mountains)

You set your auto landing at 20%. Nothing wrong with that but don.t complain when it does exactly what its designed to do. ( i flew with the wind once to 50% battery. When I turned towards home, to my surprise, my ground speed was almost zero. my first instinct was to locate a field and prepare for emergency landing, which I accomplished, Afterwards, I simply got in my car and followed the blue dot on my Go 4 app towards the red plane icon, and bingo, it was right where i expected it to be). I did rush though, just in case a hound dog happen by, a drone would make for a great chew toy.

If you weren't able to find your drone then I suspect anything from the battery being dislodged upon impact, thus no GPS signal, to the drone sinking to the bottom of a pond. Or better yet, a blast from a shotgun as it hurled towards some unsuspecting hunter.

I actually hope you find your drone, take some of these posts, and put the criticism to use. I don't need you to like me or dislike me, just be safe, and for Pete's sake, stop blaming others.

Thanks for the long post and I appreciate again. First I dont think I set the auto landing at 20%. As I said I flew at least three times between 12-15% and it never auto land or force land. I can't find my drone which I suspected it was on a tall building or it has been taken by someone. I searched for 3 days and nights but couldn't retrieve it. I only wish DJI would compensate some of my loss and they could change the firmware to a more reasonable way, i.e. cancel land with stop button. As I said, 20% is more than enough to come home for sure.

Please stop. No one cares anymore. You've had good advice, but the excuses keep coming from you. Change your user name to 'incapable of learning', then find another hobby.

Reactions: Campagnard
As a good advice: analyze your flight logs by your own. Try to unterstand how DJI aircrafts work, their algorithms, their safety thoughts. Start with this software here: http://www.datfile.net/

You will have more insight: (That's your incident below - i will not comment on that)
i.JPG

While this thread has been entertaining, I was a little concerned that in this case the Critical Low auto landing triggered at 20%, when the alarm set point is 10%. I went and re-reviewed the manual, and it does not say that the auto landing occurs at 10%, it says "The aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough to descend from it's current altitude." So my take away is that I believe I had a misconception that the critically low battery alarm, was the same as the critically low landing. I do not push my Mavic to the limits, so hopefully I won't have to use this knowledge, but I can say that these forums have prevented many crashes due to my failure, by trying to learn from others.

An excellent point, and the guy who lost his Mavic was at illegally high altitudes. The Mavic was trying to get his AC down. Fly illegally, fly near the margins and expect the worst.

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
As a good advice: analyze your flight logs by your own. Try to unterstand how DJI aircrafts work, their algorithms, their safety thoughts. Start with this software here: CsvView/DatCon
http://www.datfile.net/
You will have more insight: (That's your incident below - i will not comment on that)
View attachment 32535
If I'm reading this right, the AC had just enough time @ 20% battery remaining to descend from 1,102 feet AGL to land with the battery nearly 100% depleted. Doesn't matter what the settings were, the software did its job and initiated auto-land when it knew it could still make it down, then brought it down just before the battery ran out. Imagine if it did what the OP wanted (flew around some more at 1,100 feet with not enough juice to make it down), then ran out of battery @ 1,100 feet AGL, powered off, and fell like a brick (probably 120-150 MPH at impact)? He could be posting from a Malaysian jail cell because he killed someone. He should be praising DJI for their impressive technology right now, not complaining, IMHO. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
236-507-4032