DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Horizon Issue - Are YOU affected too?

heo3480

Reactions
I’m having problems keeping the horizon level during flight. I’m on my 3rd Mavic now with this issue. I have made this video show the problem and collect feedback to establish the magnitude of the problem.

Are you affected by this as well?

Yes..!
Mine come and goes.
But in DJI defense I have Drop my Mavic hard..... and on my second camera/Gimble set up
so i have to own it when my mavic gets scetchy from time to time
I have limitation with my mavic

1. battery life is around 23 minutes
2. Range only 1.5 miles VLOF
3. Camera Glitches Wiggling, no zoom,
4. unstable while Hovering
5. flying in wind in sports mode for more then 10 minutes (battery overload) warning

Mavic was 15 times More money then my last Drone/Camera and 15 time better
I'm hopeful my next drone will be everything I hope for........Cr

@charliesRig Seems, you got your own kind troubles with Mavic

Have you talked to DJI?

i noticed mine has a horizon issue too. this was just me flying full throttle straight ahead with the right controller. almost looks like i'm drifting to the right the entire time.

@charliesRig Seems, you got your own kind troubles with Mavic

Have you talked to DJI?

No have not talked to DJI
when I first got my Mavic it was awsome machine as time went on and My understanding of the machine
it became problematic in my mind is because of my learning curve and the abuse I bestoed on my poor mavic
believe me when I tell you ...I fly Mavic like a teenager in a 69 camaro SS396.!
Ok sorry (showing my age)
Driving A 2017 Mustang GT 350

Reactions: WAXMAN
.....and would just like to add.
Anyone new to the mavic pro never pull both joystick straight down while in flight
(CSC manuver)

Reactions: WAXMAN
I’m having problems keeping the horizon level during flight. I’m on my 3rd Mavic now with this issue. I have made this video show the problem and collect feedback to establish the magnitude of the problem.

Are you affected by this as well?

Imho everyone/nobody is affected. This pb is a non existing issue. What you called horizon and showed to us at several places of your video cannot be considerate as horizon lines. They are mountains ridges and/or shorelines + these landscapes are not like a straight rule and have not regular altitude + you are not flying fully perpendicular to them. They cannot be a visual reference. You must adapt your tilt accordingly to your shooting.
Make this simple test to understand this perspective issue : take your mavic or any camera, find real flat horizon if possible like ocean and from the shoreline frame any tall building or street light or any other supposed perfect vertical line on any of the side of your picture. You will never got them forming an 90° angle at their base and you will not have the natural horizon parallel to the mavic horizon line at the same time with the vertical line (building / other) following straight up your left or right side of the frame.
Unless you are shooting only empty ocean with nothing else, even not a boat and even less a mountainous island you will always face perspective issues.

The 3 axis mavic gimbal do a perfect job according to his own body and nothing else, to give you not a perfect flat horizon but a stable shooting. YOU have to adapt your horizon. And remember that as many you want the far horizon flat you will create the side object not vertical anymore...

Reactions: WillyWonka
@Bergumbira I do in principle agree, but what you are saying does not account for this only happing in the direction.

Further, the bird is now on its way back to DJI after talking to their support. So let's see what they find out.

Did DJI manage to fix my Horizon?

I have been looking forward to giving you an update on the DJI Horizon Horizon Issue that I talked about in one of my previous video Mavic Pro Horizon Issue

Just a note: The DJI Go 4 App shows battery status error. This happens because of the intelligent discharge of the battery where it goes to 66%, then Mavic get's confused when you fly. Did not have time to fully charge before testing

Last edited:
Reactions: borzoiboy
Bergumbira re your test - the effect of ocean/ vertical object not forming a right angle is common with any wide angle camera lens due to distortion caused by the wide angle of view, pincushion or barrel distortion. The horizon, (on an ocean) should appear level if the gimbal is doing its job properly (albeit slightly convex due to wide angle distortion)

and here is another video from a few days before (i didn't update or anything between the two videos). no tilt.

Ricklaw, yours is a permanent camera tilt and can be fixed very easily by simply adjusting the gimbal tilt offset in gimbal settings in the Go4 app. This will fix your problem and correct the level of camera.

and here is another video from a few days before (i didn't update or anything between the two videos). no tilt.

Both look tilted to me.

Newb here. So, as long as I'm not maneuvering aggressively in Sport Mode, the horizon should stay level when I turn, regardless of whether I execute a flat turn using only the left stick, or a coordinated turn that rolls the aircraft slightly while yawing?
I adjusted most of the permanent tilt out with the gimbal settings, but my horizon still tilts significantly when the Mavic turns.
Sending drone stuff back has become a full-time job. :(

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78