DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro II Optics

Nosebump

Reactions
The Hasselblad camera is known for its precision and quality. It's also known for its superior optics, manufactured by Carl Zeiss. Unfortunately, I've not seen the Zeiss name mentioned anywhere in the specs, or on the camera itself. Could the new "drone Hasselblad" be using something else? That would be very un-Hasselblad!

For those who don't know, the Hasselblad camera was the one used in the American space program, and there are currently several Hasselblads on the surface of the moon! (-They brought back the film magazines, but left the camera bodies behind)

Zeiss made high quality CF mount lenses for Hasselblad cameras. But apart from that, Zeiss has nothing to do with Hasselblad.

I guess the DJI "Hasselblad" lens has nothing to do with "high quality lenses", they just slapped the name on it because of why not, sounds good. It's probably made in some chinese factory though.
Nothing against chinese factories, they can make OK lenses for GoPro cameras and such as well.

Datasheets Hasselblad CF Lenses | Download Center

501CM.D12.jpg

Some "Hasselblad" DJI cameras even come with some residue inside.
Don't expect them to be any better or worse than any other DJI lenses.

Attachments

• DSC_1132.JPG
    DSC_1132.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 67
Reactions: charliesRig
I have a Rodenstock Apo-Ronar large format camera lens sitting on my desk at work, using it as a very large paperweight. Rodenstock (German company) makes Hasselblad look like junk.

I have a Rodenstock Apo-Ronar large format camera lens sitting on my desk at work, using it as a very large paperweight. Rodenstock (German company) makes Hasselblad look like junk.

Well, not really.
Good thing about those Rodenstock is that they are dirt cheap and great quality though since almost nobody does large format photography anymore.
Rodenstock APO-RONAR 1:9 f=480mm/19 in. Lens GREAT CONDITION | eBay

For Zeiss CF lenses, you got to pay a little more.
Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Distagon CF 40mm F4 T* FLE Lens. 93mm UV Filter | eBay

Well, not really.
Good thing about those Rodenstock is that they are dirt cheap and great quality though since almost nobody does large format photography anymore.
Rodenstock APO-RONAR 1:9 f=480mm/19 in. Lens GREAT CONDITION | eBay

For Zeiss CF lenses, you got to pay a little more.
Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Distagon CF 40mm F4 T* FLE Lens. 93mm UV Filter | eBay

Lol That Rodenstock link you have is about 1/10 of the size of the lens I have. It was replaced in our camera 15 years ago for over 40K

The Hasselblad brand name is very much a case of 'badge engineering'. Since DJI has acquired part of or all of the Hasselblad company the ca!n use the name for whatever purpose.
Hasselblad has never manufactured lenses on their own, instead relying on a variety of mostly Carl Zeiss lenses. Hasselbalds expertise was in manufacturing extremely high quality medium format camera systems.
A little bit of trivia:
In August 1966, Sweden got its first satellite. It was a Hasselblad super-wide angle camera that astronaut Michael Collins lost hold of during a spacewalk.

On 20 July 1969, the Eagle, Apollo 11’s moon lander, touched down in the Sea of Tranquillity on the moon and astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin left the capsule and took humankind’s first non-earth 'tourist snapshots' using wo Hasselblad cameras. The pictures of the Earth, as seen from space, are among the most published pictures ever.

The 500C's that I purchased three decades ago bear no resemblance to what DJI is mounting under their drones, either in size or quality of optics. I'd hoped that the optics would've been by Carl Zeiss. Alas, they're not, and the name on the front of the Mavic Hasselblad is a mockery of what Hasselblad stood for. I'm so disappointed.

The Hasselblad camera is known for its precision and quality. It's also known for its superior optics, manufactured by Carl Zeiss. Unfortunately, I've not seen the Zeiss name mentioned anywhere in the specs, or on the camera itself. Could the new "drone Hasselblad" be using something else? That would be very un-Hasselblad!

For those who don't know, the Hasselblad camera was the one used in the American space program, and there are currently several Hasselblads on the surface of the moon! (-They brought back the film magazines, but left the camera bodies behind)
Hasselblad has a digital "rangefinder" style camera, which is a Sony with a hardwood overlay grip, and a Hasselblad badge. This sort of thing happens in all consumer catagories, for decades. Who really owns the Mercedes line?
Jeep? Craftsman tools? Pioneer audio? The list is endless,
and is ever changing! It's really just the rights to use logos and badges. The original company's infrastructure
behind the logo, may not even exist.

Reactions: charliesRig
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear