DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Lost over dam

Without the aircraft I don't see how DJI could access data that you cannot. Those files must be on your device. However, it sounds from their response that it is one of those cases where the log simply stops, which most usually is caused by a battery disconnect. That, in turn, is usually caused by improper latching. That's likely the basis for their partial offer. I guess I'd keep pushing them on that, although threats of posting retaliation doesn't seem to be very effective with DJI - polite but insistent negotiation seems to work better.

The flight record video that I posted early in this thread clearly shows uncontrolled flight, with no joystick requests, all the way until the 'Motor Obstructed' warning appears on contact with the water.
The battery was not disconnected, rather the logs stop because the craft drowned...

It's just DJI trying to get out of it for the lowest possible amount.

The flight record video that I posted early in this thread clearly shows uncontrolled flight, with no joystick requests, all the way until the 'Motor Obstructed' warning appears on contact with the water.
The battery was not disconnected, rather the logs stop because the craft drowned...

It's just DJI trying to get out of it for the lowest possible amount.

Well apologies - I had not noticed your screen video and I was just going by the DJI response. That's obviously not a power failure or battery disconnect. It was either motor failure or prop loss/failure. Prop loss is by far the most common of those scenarios.

Reactions: BigAl07
41agY4fjU1L.jpg
Well, it's gone!
Flying my Mavic Pro over a local dam, capturing some flood and spillway vision, all going well.
Landed and changed the battery, ensured it was locked in correctly and took off again.
All was normal for a couple of minutes, then while climbing approximately 100m out, the vision just started tumbling and I lost signal. A member of the public safety said they saw it drop into the water....

Somehow, I always knew I the back of my mind the thing would get me in the end.
No more DJI for me, terrible support, the failed Android app, and now NO drone at all!
So long you DJI theives!!!
Sad....
It's why I never flew above water until I get my float.
Then since I use them each time I wanna fly directly above water or when is water in the neighborhood even I not plan to hovering there... And only if I also have the way to reach it by walking in shallow water or swim or canoe...
I'm motorcyclist, while crossing crossroads at green light I always look left and right as a red light will not stop a car even they are supposed to stop.
Mavic not floating... So ? Set float on your bird while flying above water. Price around 35 usd... How much your lost?

Last edited:
41agY4fjU1L.jpg

Sad....
It's why I never flew above water until I get my float.
Then since I use them each time I wanna fly directly above water or when is water in the neighborhood even I not plan to hovering there... And only if I also have the way to reach it by walking in shallow water or swim or canoe...
I'm motorcyclist, while crossing crossroads at green light I always look left and right as a red light will not stop a car even they are supposed to stop.
Mavic not floating... So ? Set float on your bird while flying above water. Price around 35 usd... How much your lost?
Those look like a terrible idea. They look like they will interfere with the VPS and catch the wind. If it were me, I would toss these out.

Those look like a terrible idea. They look like they will interfere with the VPS and catch the wind. If it were me, I would toss these out.

I have a $60 a year full coverage insurance policy on mine, but these probably aren't a bad idea provided they don't interfere with anything. Especially if you don't have access to cheap insurance coverage. I fly mine sometimes with a big fat external 5200mah Lipo pack 3M dual locked on top, and use a velco strap to secure it as well, I just try to keep the strap in between the sensors. It lands the same every time, doesn't seem to mess with the sensors when its placed properly. I'm sure it has pretty good wind drag but it doesn't seem to impact my top end speed much. It does reduce the number of satellites I get by a few but I still manage to keep 16+ most days.

Reactions: Red Tailed Hawk1

After looking on eBay it looks like you can just make some from a cheap pool float. Some sellers are doing just that from the looks of the pictures, and selling them for $50. I guess a 3D printer would be nice to make a little mount for them.
s-l1600.jpg

Reactions: KiterTodd
Well, DJI have met me at 1/2 price on the basic unit.
Their crazy expensive price still makes it $650aud, but at least it's something.

Still not super excited about the whole deal but it'll have to do, nothing else you can do except suck it up and get on with it.

Won't be trusting the new one with any drone tasks that might involve definitely being 100% reliable.

I guess they're just a long selfie stick, not a proper camera platform.

Well, DJI have met me at 1/2 price on the basic unit.
Their crazy expensive price still makes it $650aud, but at least it's something.

Still not super excited about the whole deal but it'll have to do, nothing else you can do except suck it up and get on with it.

Won't be trusting the new one with any drone tasks that might involve definitely being 100% reliable.

I guess they're just a long selfie stick, not a proper camera platform.

If it was prop loss due to incorrect installation, which is the most common cause of these incidents, why would you expect DJI to meet the full cost (or even any of the cost), and why would that make it not a "proper camera platform"? Are you suggesting that they should always simply provide a free replacement if the cause of the event cannot be definitively determined? That would be nice, of course, but probably not a great business model.

Been following this thread as a new drone pilot. Does the DJI GO app automatically record all flight data or is there anything more I should do? Should I be syncing the app on my phone with a desktop app?

If it was prop loss due to incorrect installation, which is the most common cause of these incidents, why would you expect DJI to meet the full cost (or even any of the cost), and why would that make it not a "proper camera platform"? Are you suggesting that they should always simply provide a free replacement if the cause of the event cannot be definitively determined? That would be nice, of course, but probably not a great business model.

On the Mavic, the way its designed, you can't put the wrong prop in the wrong spot. And they self lock in place by design even if you were too lazy to spin them all the way in. That being said, a damaged or worn prop of course could easily bring down the craft. Both of which should be fairly evident from looking at them. I've have hundreds of miles on my original props, not one prop issue. Sad thing is we may never know why it went down. I'd be happy with the 50% off deal if this happened to me. I buy insurance coverage that will pay for 100% of my Mavic, with no deductible, even if I flew it into a building on purpose. :eek:

Been following this thread as a new drone pilot. Does the DJI GO app automatically record all flight data or is there anything more I should do? Should I be syncing the app on my phone with a desktop app?

Normally, yes. Do a full sync every once in a while as well. I just let it sync on the phone (tablet in my case)

Is not a terrible idea, is a weekly good protection for me and many test show on YouTube that's no trouble with wind or speed or other Mavic parameters.
Also I'm not flying when wind is already half of DJI recommandations.
I'm not flying to "test my luck"

On the Mavic, the way its designed, you can't put the wrong prop in the wrong spot. And they self lock in place by design even if you were too lazy to spin them all the way in. That being said, a damaged or worn prop of course could easily bring down the craft. Both of which should be fairly evident from looking at them. I've have hundreds of miles on my original props, not one prop issue. Sad thing is we may never know why it went down. I'd be happy with the 50% off deal if this happened to me. I buy insurance coverage that will pay for 100% of my Mavic, with no deductible, even if I flew it into a building on purpose. :eek:

You can't put the prop in the wrong place, but you can fail to turn it to the fully locked position. It may or may not spin up and lock properly. It definitely won't lock if there is any debris blocking the locking tab. I've never had any prop issues with the thread type or locking type, but we see plenty of cases just on this forum of props flying off intact, so it happens.

You can't put the prop in the wrong place, but you can fail to turn it to the fully locked position. It may or may not spin up and lock properly. It definitely won't lock if there is any debris blocking the locking tab. I've never had any prop issues with the thread type or locking type, but we see plenty of cases just on this forum of props flying off intact, so it happens.

Good point, didn't think about the possibility of something in the way, yes in that case it certainly would be an issue. I'm never that lazy, but only speculating on how a prop loss could happen with all the thought they put into the design. Kind like a left hand threaded edger blade nut, it only gets tighter the more you spin the blade. Have there been plenty of Mavic prop losses? I've never heard of any Mavics, haven't read every thread either. Just wondering how remote that chance is assuming someone had some bad luck and also didn't check the props before take off. It would seem like the prop if it wasn't on all the way and the lock in place design didn't immediate seat off right, that the prop would fly off right away on take off, not after flying around several minutes.

Why would you even take them off? I haven't touched my props for months...

I usually don't. That's why I'm surprised to hear prop loss. Seems like an unlikely thing on this drone short of the props striking something mid air.

Is it safe to store and transport the Mavic with the propellers on all the time? I thought if you put it in a carry case you are supposed to remove them?

Is it safe to store and transport the Mavic with the propellers on all the time? I thought if you put it in a carry case you are supposed to remove them?

I leave generally leave them on in the Mavic case, but recently I've been swapping back and forth between the old and new design of props, so I've been paying pretty close attention to making sure that they are firmly locked.

Good point, didn't think about the possibility of something in the way, yes in that case it certainly would be an issue. I'm never that lazy, but only speculating on how a prop loss could happen with all the thought they put into the design. Kind like a left hand threaded edger blade nut, it only gets tighter the more you spin the blade. Have there been plenty of Mavic prop losses? I've never heard of any Mavics, haven't read every thread either. Just wondering how remote that chance is assuming someone had some bad luck and also didn't check the props before take off. It would seem like the prop if it wasn't on all the way and the lock in place design didn't immediate seat off right, that the prop would fly off right away on take off, not after flying around several minutes.

More P4s than Mavics, but it's the same type of lock.

The erratic track out over the water leads me to believe it may have been a lost prop. The Mavic was trying to correct for the loss which would have caused the erratic path. Do you use aftermarket props?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin