DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Motor Mod

Oh and once a motor reaches 100% pwm in hover the FC won't be able to maintain yaw control.

If you're coming in on fumes it will be a rear motor. A quick thinking pilot can rotate the aircraft while maintaining heading direction and hopefully make it back. Same as flying in home lock or course lock mode.

As for batteries, use what you've had good results with but in 4s. I'd probably test with Multistars because of the price and then see if the mod has potential.

clCVuwu.jpg

Somewhat on topic I'm modifying some p4 prop adapters to test this. Will be interesting to compare g/W numbers with the Mavic motor Phantom prop combo vs. the full Phantom setup.

Could you check your ESC temps on your 27 min hover test? With twin externals the temps typically hit 100c on a full length test. Definitely makes a case for extra cooling vents through the bodywork.

Could you check your ESC temps on your 27 min hover test? With twin externals the temps typically hit 100c on a full length test. Definitely makes a case for extra cooling vents through the bodywork.
I am all ears for ideas how to improve cooling.

I am all ears for ideas how to improve cooling.

aNRneNB.jpg

I run the stock battery uncased and raise the rear to allow air to flow between the upper shell and cell pack. Also helps to keep the battery warm at night.

Remove the thin perforated grill inserts front and rear plus the tail light cover.

Ok, amazon had MS5200/4S/10C in stock and I have 3 coming for Monday delivery. I will also work on and esc cooling solution tomorrow.

Thx Lolo, your help is appreciated.

Ok, amazon had MS5200/4S/10C in stock and I have 3 coming for Monday delivery. I will also work on and esc cooling solution tomorrow.

Thx Lolo, your help is appreciated.

6bwmgev.jpg

P4A/P4P batteries have some really kick *** 5870mAh 4s cell packs.

3 x 5200 Multistars should come in well under 2kg ready to fly and will give the same energy to weight ratio as a typical full weight Mavic with a stock battery and dual 4500s. So if the Phantom motors and props can hold efficiency out to 2kg they will be a winner, and 4s will have less resistive losses throughout.

Post 31 Page 2 shows my flight with a 2045gram loaded with 4s batteries and 51min flight time. Look at the airdata. You'll see motor current errors are very common and on this flight had no noticeable effect. This was the last best flight i had.

Mavic Pro Motor Mod

the esc temps hit 82 deg with the first 15min of aggressive flying then went down with hovering.Capture12.PNG

here's the flight data. FLY430.DAT

Edit: I'm thinking i fried something with my slamming it into reverse flying style.:(

Last edited:
Oh and once a motor reaches 100% pwm in hover the FC won't be able to maintain yaw control.

If you're coming in on fumes it will be a rear motor. A quick thinking pilot can rotate the aircraft while maintaining heading direction and hopefully make it back. Same as flying in home lock or course lock mode.

As for batteries, use what you've had good results with but in 4s. I'd probably test with Multistars because of the price and then see if the mod has potential.

Im wonder why mines hitting 100% pwm at liftoff with a 1980 gram bird when before it only hit 80% with a 2045 gram bird. Something changed and i'm not sure what it is.

Edit: It seems when it hits 100% it will not fly and the motor vibrates the whole arm.

Im wonder why mines hitting 100% pwm at liftoff with a 1980 gram bird when before it only hit 80% with a 2045 gram bird. Something changed and i'm not sure what it is.

Edit: It seems when it hits 100% it will not fly and the motor vibrates the whole arm.

I may be able to change what 100% is in the parameters (which i think is 1920) but i don't want to yet because i shouldn't have too because it flew before. :confused: (excuse me people just thinking out loud)

Please send close up's of your motor mounting adapter.

Did you re-use the factory motor wiring?

Send close up with all the prop's attached and how close they come to the body of the bird.

Why did you choose gen1 motors over gen2 motors?

Thanks!
-Motors are 2312 960kv
-Not factory wiring. I’ve opened the bottom of the arms and made a space for the new cables. The idea was to pull them free in both directions.
-I shortened the props 6mm each side and balanced them.
-The adaptors are made of coins and I use only three holes of the motors.
No errors and issues.

Reactions: lolo780
-Motors are 2312 960kv
-Not factory wiring. I’ve opened the bottom of the arms and made a space for the new cables. The idea was to pull them free in both directions.
-I shortened the props 6mm each side and balanced them.
-The adaptors are made of coins and I use only three holes of the motors.
No errors and issues.
Sweet! Nice mod.

Reactions: milchoni
I took my bird out for its first joy ride with only the factory battery. Was in sport mode and flew full throttle with hard turns for 15 minutes straight. No errors reported and battery wasn't even warm (it appears that the hover test is more demanding).

One important note that some asked early in this mod. There is no speed improvement, in sport mode max speed was 21mph, in regular mode it was 13mph. I haven't tinkered with any flight parameters yet, just a factory config for reference here.

It's very interesting to fly, like chazz said it feels/sounds effortless for the bird to maintain flight. But it handles and pilots like a big marshmallow. Super cushy turns and maneuvers. Point being, if this mod interested you for potentially being a super car, it turns out to be more of a dump truck :)

Let's see how the 4s batteries affect this next week.

Reactions: milchoni

Lolo,

I am a noob with csviewer, can you look at this flight for me and see what it tells you?

drone-share-temp

Lolo,

I am a noob with csviewer, can you look at this flight for me and see what it tells you?

drone-share-temp
Pardon the intrusion here. The .DAT can be a little tricky if the flight exceeds about 700 secs. The .DAT will stop being recorded and then recording resumes by creating a new .DAT. This happened to you flight where it created FLY030.DAT and then FLY031.DAT. Looking at the whole flight can be done by concatenating the two .DATs E.g.

cat FLY030.DAT FLY031.DAT > FLY3031.DAT

and then submitting FLY3031.DAT to CsvView.
Here are the esc temps
upload_2018-6-3_13-28-4.png

Last edited:
Reactions: chazz and lolo780
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52