DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro with Ipad mini 2 GPS question

Studoo

Reactions
Hi ,I am a newbie here,have been happily learning to use my Mavic Pro /RC controller and my iphone 6s for two weeks in gps mode,making progress and loving it.

I have an ipad Mini 2 and hoped I might use it to monitor flights instead of phone,but having researched on here and other places realised that it would only work in "wi fi" mode without GPS,wasn't sure I wanted to go down this route .

However my inquisitiveness won out and tonight took it to a local park and fired it all up with the ipad mini(no props not planning to fly)

Got a ready to Go signal (all greens) GPS mode with 17 satelites!! Not expecting that,What does this mean,my ipad mini model is wi fi only no cellular?

What am I not understanding
Many thanks for any advice /answers

The GPS signal is not coming from the iPad. It's coming from the Mavic itself (technically, you don't even need to use a phone/tablet to fly the drone). Fire up the Mavic and the controller without ever using/attaching the phone and you should still see the Mavic go into GPS mode (you just won't know how many satellites it's using without looking at the app but it's still using them!). In fact, you can't use WiFi mode without a phone/device, as that method leaves out the remote controller entirely (using the WiFi connection on your phone to communicate with the drone). You'll never really use this unless you just don't want to pack up your controller for some reason and don't wish to fly very far.

You really only need GPS on your device if you wish to see the location of your device on the map, wish to change the home location during flight to the location of the RC, or wish to utilize the Follow Me mode. I happily use a non-GPS/cellular iPad for a controller and never miss the lack of a GPS feature on my device.

Last edited:
Got a ready to Go signal (all greens) GPS mode with 17 satelites!! Not expecting that,What does this mean,my ipad mini model is wi fi only no cellular?
That means the Mavic's internal GPS receiver was connected to 17 satellites.

If you want to use the map feature on the iPad, use the Hotspot on the iPhone and connect the iPad to that. It's what I do (wifi iPad 4 mini to my Moto Z Play).

Ah,thanks Lisadoc that puts it quite clearly for a duffer like me! didn't realise the 'Mavic had its own GPS setup,thought it was purely a function of whatever device you were using.Good to go with the iPad then I think,just need to source a short right angle lightning connector and (preferably) a mount for the iPad.
Really love the drone and how it goes,currently trying to improve my nose in flying(though not strictly needed I know as the **** thing flies itself). Bye the way love using tripod mode to improve my video until I get smoother flying.
Thanks

Thanks for the other replies too,ties it all together,understand about the "hot spot"will try that as I progress
Cheers

See this post for what I use for an iPad mount (Stable 10" Tablet Mount)

Someone else suggested a cable long ago that I purchased and have been very happy with (both Android and iPad compatible). Here's the link on Amazon:
http://a.co/2hnsaxS

I like the fact that it coils (meaning any extra cable does not hang loose) and that I can use it with an Android or Apple device and don't have to worry about dragging around multiple cables.

Last edited:
didn't realise the 'Mavic had its own GPS setup,thought it was purely a function of whatever device you were using.

It's how the Mavic RTHs (Returns to Home) if it loses the signal from the controller.

That means the Mavic's internal GPS receiver was connected to 17 satellites.
I use a iPad mini 4 (cellular/wifi). While I don't use the cellular and typically turn off the wifi while flying I was told this model has built in GPS. Is there a way to view GPS signal of the iPad/controller? (Not the MP, as I know where that indicator is on the screen of the GoApp.).

Is there a way to view GPS signal of the iPad
I don't know of a way to show how many satellites and Apple device is connected to. However, you could get more information about the accuracy of the connection with an app like GPS Status.

Reactions: vtcats
have you used your z play for flying monitor? does it work?
No I haven't. I wasn't impressed with the way my Moto G4 handled the app (dji app constantly crashing in mid-flight) which is why I got the iPad (so that I wouldn't have to use my phone). Since I already had the iPad when I got the Z Play, I never bothered to try it on the phone.

One nice thing about using the iPad is that I don't get interrupted by phone calls or texts.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78