DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic travel Vlog transition effects tutorials for Davinci Resolve

2nd2non

Reactions
For those of you who don't want to pay for Premiere / After Effects or don't have a MAC to use FCPX, Davinci Resolve is FREE and you can still do many of the same travel Vlog transitions.
See this demo using several of my Mavic clips

I really like resolve. I am still learning the program but really like the way it works. The only problem I am having right now is the playback in resolve is choppy and slow. I have read several post saying that resolve has a hard time with h.264 codec. So I'm trying to figure out what to do. Convert to a different codec? Some say to set up the project before importing videos, but I'm unsure on what settings to set. It's a learning process but I am enjoying it.

Think i figured it out. If i convert the codec to quicktime .mov the playback is almost flawless.

Cool vid but it's not really a tutorial. I would like to know how to do those transitions. You merely showed us that YOU can do them. I DLd resolve and would like to know how to do some of those transitions.

Thanks for sharing that cool vid.

Cool vid but it's not really a tutorial. I would like to know how to do those transitions. You merely showed us that YOU can do them. I DLd resolve and would like to know how to do some of those transitions.

Thanks for sharing that cool vid.

It's an demo or intro to the tutorials. Several actual tutorials on the channel already

Reactions: frankiez
Think i figured it out. If i convert the codec to quicktime .mov the playback is almost flawless.

Yes that's an option. Usually you're not going to notice any loss due to transcode. If I don't want to lose any quality, then I just optimize the H264 media and/or utilize the proxy mode.

Here's a demo of more transitions. Vote for which one you want to see tutorial.

The tutorials work in Resolve 14 also!

Scribble animation now available

Just downloaded the program, can't wait to start learning my ways around it. I'm sure your tutorials will become handy soon! Thanks.

Where do you adjust the codec?

I am having problems with the speed (i5, 8Gb ram, SP4), even after "optimizing the media" and running down at 8bit Colour and 720p I can't seem to get any transitions or titles etc to work without getting the "GPU error" - it wont even preview them on timeline, and renders dead frames.

The rest of the editing is fine, it's just the effects?

Where do you adjust the codec?

I am having problems with the speed (i5, 8Gb ram, SP4), even after "optimizing the media" and running down at 8bit Colour and 720p I can't seem to get any transitions or titles etc to work without getting the "GPU error" - it wont even preview them on timeline, and renders dead frames.

The rest of the editing is fine, it's just the effects?

What version Resolve are you having the issue?
I personally recommend smart cache (user to set) for clips with effects. See below instructions from the manual (works on 12.5 or 14).
‚ Choose Playback > Render Cache > User to set Resolve to only cache clips that you manually flag by right-clicking a clip in the timeline and turning on its Render Cache Clip Output checkbox.‚

What version Resolve are you having the issue?
I personally recommend smart cache (user to set) for clips with effects. See below instructions from the manual (works on 12.5 or 14).
‚ Choose Playback > Render Cache > User to set Resolve to only cache clips that you manually flag by right-clicking a clip in the timeline and turning on its Render Cache Clip Output checkbox.‚

Version 14, I've tried both Smart Cache and Optimized Clips.
I think it must be some sort of setting, as I'm able to edit perfectly but as soon as I try to do any sort of effect, fade, or title it cracks it and the GPU error pops up.

Not sure it's relevant but I downloaded the trial of Adobe premiere pro and it works fine even at full resolution, but I don't want to shell out for CC (almost $400 per year in Aus).

New tutorials for text GLITCH and Ink transitions

Eye masking effect tutorial now available for Resolve. No plugin required!

Reactions: MPone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan