DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Wi-fi

lildevilx

Reactions
Haven't seen any one talk about this amazing feature. I think this is one of the reason why I choice the Mavic over something else.
To me the Wifi function just sounds amazing as I don't need to have any thing more then just the quad and my phone with me. (The Radio does get a little bulky if say i'm riding my bike around.)

But with my testing today, i have problems staying connected to the mavic when it is about 3-4 meters away from me... which is slightly disappointing... does anyone else have any similar experience? or better one in this case~

so what do you do if you are flying with just your phone and the app crashes and you lose connection? I would hope the drone would just hover but then you need to also hope you can re-establish a connection!

Haven't seen any one talk about this amazing feature. I think this is one of the reason why I choice the Mavic over something else.
I am also very interested in this feature. I started a thread a while back but didn't get much response. As you say flying with phone is very useful to grab a quick shot when you see a photo opportunity. I do this all the time with my Parrot Bebop 2 and routinely fly out to 150 meters on 2.4 GHz WiFi with no issues. I was skeptical about flying with only a phone but it has worked out very well. Another reason I am interested in phone flying is that I want to use my Cinemizers for FPV but the Mavic controller has no HDMI output.

Last edited:
Reactions: lildevilx
I am also very interested in this feature. I started a thread a while back but didn't get much response. As you say flying with phone is very useful to grab a quick shot when you see a photo opportunity. I do this all the time with my Parrot Bebop 2 and routinely fly out to 150 meters on 2.4 GHz WiFi with no issues. I skeptical about flying with only a phone but it has worked out very well. Another reason I am interested in phone flying is that I want to use my Cinemizers for FPV but the Mavic controller has no HDMI output.
Thats right, I think it's such a great idea. But during my test I wasn't able to go too far before I lost connection and the feedback was already getting choppy... A bit disappointed in my view...
so what do you do if you are flying with just your phone and the app crashes and you lose connection? I would hope the drone would just hover but then you need to also hope you can re-establish a connection!
You can set it like you would lose connection to your radio, hover. Rth lower, throttle
Highly wouldn't recommend hover and going up high.....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

The WIFI connection is much more vulnerable against rf interferences with other WIFI networks compared to the remote's connection. So I would not try it in a region with lots of WIFI coverage, such as within a village or town.

The WIFI connection is much more vulnerable against rf interferences with other WIFI networks compared to the remote's connection. So I would not try it in a region with lots of WIFI coverage, such as within a village or town.
That is true... But there are some wifi signals that are able to go quite a far distance. Those are the sort of things I'm looking for in the mavic which doesn't seem like it has...

That depends on data rate which slows down signifantly with distance. And the Mavic needs a quite high data range for video transmission.
True. One would think they would offer a lower res to keep up with the VTx need on a longer wifi distance.

That is true... But there are some wifi signals that are able to go quite a far distance. Those are the sort of things I'm looking for in the mavic which doesn't seem like it has...
Wi-Fi based systems that offer a decent range also typically have their own dedicated controller with optimized WiFi transceiver or use repeaters, they can't do it with a phone's built-in interface alone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada