DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MavicPro Platinum - grain & poor video quality

Gregi

Reactions
Hi,

new owner of MPP. Did couple of test flights today and was disappointed with video & photos coming out of drone.

I've uploaded videos here for you to see:
Dropbox - Upload Forum

Setting as follows:

Grain 1.mp4
- latest firmware
- 4K, 30fps
- 1/320
- 100 ISO
- WB Cloudy
- D-log
- style settings 0,0,0

Grain 2, Grain3.mp4
- latest firmware
- 4K, 30fps
- 1/60
- 100 ISO
- WB Cloudy
- D-log
- style settings +1,-1,-1

As you see I've kept highest video quality with lowest ISO, only change in style setting but didn't help. You can see a lot of grain in video. Let me know what do you think since the videos I see on youtube are usually crystal clean.

I'm doing semi professional photography but I've never seen such a poor quality of video neither on my Nikon D750, iphone 6s or GoPro camera. I understand small sensor limitation but I still think this is not OK quality.

Thank you for your help

I must be blind, because I barely see any grain. The picture(s) aren't exactly "popping" with sharpness, but no grain

What Anthony said. The flight speeds are nice and slow so you're not getting any distortion ('cept for one area in 3 when you're descending). Given the flat lighting these came out pretty good.

OP are you sure it's not your playback device? PC/Monitor/Video Card

Hi,
thx for the reply.

I might expressed myself wrong - probably more accurate term would be pixelation? If you look at Grain 2 video, the forest on the right? To me it just doesn't see to be clear enough. Same the grass/farm structures on Grain 3 seems to me a lot of "pixel dancing"?

I don't know, might be just me since i come from photography world and I'm used to higher quality images or I might be spoiled of watching 4K movies on TV :)

I'm watching this on calibrated 1080p Dell monitor. I've also did try to play now some iPhone movies (4k resolution) and they just seem more nice... Did also watch them now once again on 4k OLED TV - better but still not as nice as iPhone ones.

The one thing I'll still try is colograding/LUT in Premire - might be just because the D-log is so flat and unedited.

You expressed yourself perfectly, though I still don see all that much wrong. Maybe a little here:

upload_2018-1-7_16-41-41.png

Try 2,7k 30 fps and +1 0 0. It works for me. When i bought first time i thought like you.
Tell me when you`ll try it.

Reactions: dajohn17
Hi,

will try also 2.7K but this is not solution for me as I want output videos as 4K.

I've also uploaded Grain 3 video with color corrected/LUT on same link just to eliminate impact of flat colors.

And of course now the rain/foggy weather kicks in and I'm unable to test :(

Well at least tomorrow the ND and Polarizing filter are coming so keeping fingers crossed for no rain ...

Finally manage to get some "good" weather over weekend to do some more videos - although sun still doesn't want to "cooperate" :(. I've uploaded on the same link.

Setting same as before just updated to latest FW and ND8 polarpro (on the sunny one I should use ND16 next time as there is some overexposure in clouds):
- latest firmware
- 4K, 30fps (or 2.7K - see the filename description)
- 1/60
- 100 ISO
- WB Cloudy
- D-log
- style settings +1,-1,-1
- ND8

From what I see the video with more light (i.e. some sun present) tends to be better at least to my taste. The cloudy ones are again more pixelated/grainy. 2.7K also seems a little better but not a major difference - again to my taste - but would have to test in more scenarios/weather conditions.

I've also shoot some POI with barn in the center. It seems that the griany effect is more pronounced when shooting grass - seems that in all videos that mavic doesn't "like" this kind of patterns.

And for the end I've uploaded also one photo just to see the stills.

Let me know what do you think.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+