DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavik Pro went totally out of control

Well, I am totally confused! My Mavic Pro just refuses to be controlled! I have calibrated the IMU and the GPS - both show little green dots. I am flying in Beginner Mode and ready to fly. When I start up manually the Mavic should rise slowly and hover allowing me to raise it to my desired height.......however, It rises fast to around 2 feet then takes off like a bat out of hell at that level and then crashes. I haven't touched the controller, all I have done was taken off in Beginner Mode. The Flight Logs show again that there is a compass error, speed error, obstacle avoided (when there was nothing). It is a brand new out of the box 1 week old. My first attempt was terrific in Beginner Mode with no problems and hovering beautifully, landing and taking off with no trouble. After the firmware update yesterday it has just gone haywire. I have put it all back in the box and it is going back to where I bought it as I do not think that this is a problem that I can solve and I don't want to continually crash....it makes no sense.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-07-24_[19-05-45].txt
    20.5 KB · Views: 4
Well, I am totally confused! My Mavic Pro just refuses to be controlled! I have calibrated the IMU and the GPS - both show little green dots. I am flying in Beginner Mode and ready to fly. When I start up manually the Mavic should rise slowly and hover allowing me to raise it to my desired height.......however, It rises fast to around 2 feet then takes off like a bat out of **** at that level and then crashes. I haven't touched the controller, all I have done was taken off in Beginner Mode. The Flight Logs show again that there is a compass error, speed error, obstacle avoided (when there was nothing). It is a brand new out of the box 1 week old. My first attempt was terrific in Beginner Mode with no problems and hovering beautifully, landing and taking off with no trouble. After the firmware update yesterday it has just gone haywire. I have put it all back in the box and it is going back to where I bought it as I do not think that this is a problem that I can solve and I don't want to continually crash....it makes no sense.
Incidentally, I was in the same area where I did my first flight that went well and no magnetic interference.

I would re-flash the firmware again before sending it back my .02

Sounds like one more bird that needs a roll back . Why dji needs to put out these updates that screw up perfectly good flying drones . My app has been showing that I should update but a certain hot spot will freeze over first . Lol

Reactions: Drgnfli
Just wondering how long the update took n how long was the drone ön before the update..? My guess and from all the other threads i read on other posts is the drone overheated n fried the compass\gps... My friend has a drone with the same problem n we changed the compass\gps #1 and drone is cherry...

Reactions: Grapecrusher
As a real green newbie I upgraded out of the box as it asked......everything beautiful in Beginner mode! 3/4 days after Iwent out with it and it came up again to upgrade firmware.....I thought it was not possible to fly without doing it so I upgraded using my phone. It took about 30 mins....slow connection. When everything was good, still in Beginner mode, the Mavic lifted off the ground 2 feet and shot off spinning into the vineyards and crashed. Didn’t see any damage so tried again........same spectacular spinning and very fast then it crashed. All this is in the field and softish landing so again I did not see any damage. Brought it home and went through everything. Did an IMU Calibration, GPS etc. Checked the logs and it was showing compass error, obstacles, excessive speed....I am in Beginner mode and ready to fly!

Anyway, took it out the next day and it was worse! It raised up, turned round and shot off into the field crashing down. 3 times I tried and the logs still showed up compass errors, obstacles and excess speed.

Today I rolled it back to factory settings and calibrated it in DJI Assistant, I made sure the RC is talking to the MP, Checked the firmware on both were the same. I haven’ rolled back the firmware to .03, that I will do tomorrow if it is possible and then I will try once more to see if it will fly. If it doesn’t I will take it back to where I bought it less than 2 weeks ago! I should have kept it in the box lol.

If it's new don't **** about doing downgrades. That's abnormal behaviour whatever the cause - fire it back for replacement, and if you feel the need, take a video on your phone of it's behaviour with no control inputs to show the seller.

Reactions: Grapecrusher
When everything was good, still in Beginner mode, the Mavic lifted off the ground 2 feet and shot off spinning into the vineyards and crashed. Didn’t see any damage so tried again........same spectacular spinning and very fast then it crashed.
That sounds like the result of the compass being negatively affected by magnetic interference (not the work of a firmware upgrade).

Reactions: chazzm
That sounds like the result of the compass being negatively affected by magnetic interference (not the work of a firmware upgrade).
Hi there, yes I think that time it was. However, I moved out of that zone and it did exactly the same but worse. I have taken it back and they are sending it off to look at the Problem. Hubby took a video of the take-off which showed it spinning and turning then crashing. Never got more that 2ft off the ground.

Anyway...thanks for replying. I will let you know the outcome when it comes back

Hi everyone,

Am a complete newbie to drone flying but had my Mavik Pro in Beginner Mode, GPS and IMU were ok to go and when I launched it lifted off ok to around 2 ft then began spinning and suddenly shot off and crashed. This happened after I updated the firmware in the middle of a vineyard.....hence Grapecrusher....It had been sitting in the sun while I upgraded so not sure if this caused the problem. However, nothing showed on the controller and the updated completed without problem. The drone crashed this way 3 times and although no damage . done I am a little concerned about trying again. Any ideas would be very welcome.

Yeah, don’t update firmware, I haven’t in a year and have zero problems

Usually, there will be a message on the screen warning of interference which may be momentary but if it lasts long then you should not take off as the interference could worsen and then you cannot control the drone. I get it occasionally as I take off and then it goes away so I presume it is some metal or signal interference nearby. Just now, as my drone was on RTH, I saw a message momentarily flash that there was MAG INTERFERENCE. It's scary when that happens but it could have occurred as the drone was passing over a tower on a building.

A word of advice is that whenever there are messages warning of interference or any fault, don't take off. I made the mistake once by thinking that an error message about the sticks was not critical and took off... and the drone started rising by itself and I could not control it! Fortunately, it reached a certain height and stopped and I had to use the RTH command a few times to bring it back down. To make things worse, it was near a tree and I could hardly control its movements.

My Mavic did the same thing this morning, kept displaying magnetice compass error. Reloaded firm and all is well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929