DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mexico drone laws sub 250g

Lukemini

Reactions
I see a lot of posts about sub 250g drones in regards to international laws in particular in Mexico. All the research I have done says that I, as a tourist in Mexico, am legally allowed to fly my mavic mini in Mexico.

My question, is there any government documentation (English or Spanish) that can confirm this? I would like to print it out and have on hand.

Also in regards to customs and importing the drone I have read that some people can get taxed. Is there documentation to prove that I am allowed the drone in Mexico or documentation that if I provide proof of purchase I am exempt from paying any tax or fees at the border.

Hoping to avoid any issues this holiday.

Cheers

Hmm, it's ALWAYS hard to get factual info on this place, and many other such countries.
Sometimes, official pages in plain English simply aren't available.

As such we are left to info on website supposedly advising various countries drone laws.

I found one link you might try the email up near the top of the page . . .

It appears you may be ok with the MM, just ensure nothing additional so you are under the 250gms, then follow their posted rules to the letter.
That may get you through ok, combined with how unobtrusive the mini flights can be.

Use the DJI flysafe geo map if nothing else is available from the Mexican GOVCO for their drone rules / airspace.

Good luck, and it'd be good to report back here if you get a reply from that email, good or bad, and what you end up experiencing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gindra and Thomas B
Cheers, I’ve even tried translating the Mexican gov website but it doesn’t mention anything about 250g which is the specific rule I’m after.

Anyway I’ll print those pages off and hope for the best!

Thanks!

I see a lot of posts about sub 250g drones in regards to international laws in particular in Mexico. All the research I have done says that I, as a tourist in Mexico, am legally allowed to fly my mavic mini in Mexico.

My question, is there any government documentation (English or Spanish) that can confirm this? I would like to print it out and have on hand.

Also in regards to customs and importing the drone I have read that some people can get taxed. Is there documentation to prove that I am allowed the drone in Mexico or documentation that if I provide proof of purchase I am exempt from paying any tax or fees at the border.

Hoping to avoid any issues this holiday.

Cheers
Only Mexican citizens cans legally fly drones there. Not sure about carrying one in through customs.

Hi Thomas, I am looking into this now. I see that only Mexican citizens can register a drone, however, if a drone weighs less than .25 kg, it does not need to be registered. So, a mavic mini would fall into this section of the micro drones. All other drones have to be registered to fly them legally, and to register it you need to be Mexican. Maybe there is more information I am not aware of, I would like to know as I am planning a trip there. Thanks!

For anyone interested in where I found this information, it is on the Mexican government site, follow the top link of this page to see in Spanish, :
NORMA Oficial Mexicana NOM-107-SCT3-2019, Que establece los requerimientos para operar un sistema de aeronave pilotada a distancia (RPAS) en el espacio aéreo mexicano.

In the document, RPAS = Drone

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada