DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Military aviation gurus - what is this camera on a Mi-24?

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 94047

I went back to the Civil War Monument and museum practically next door and took plenty of pictures of the few derelict military aircraft. While taking pictures of this early variant of the Mi-24 (possibly a Hind) transport/attack helicopter, I noticed it has this camera on its left wing (See attached pictures, forum is refusing to display them in full within the post).

Wikipedia has only this to say on the subject
Mi-24PN A version of the Mi-24P with a TV and a FLIR camera located in a dome on the front of the aircraft, and is armed with the GSh-23L. The Russian Air Force received 14 Mi-24PNs in 2004

This variant is definitely older than 2004, so it can't be the Mi-24P. Any idea on what this camera is and what it was used for? Thanks for any insights!

Attachments

• DSC_6700.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 41
  • DSC_6699.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
My guess is that a camera mounted in this position would be something called a 'Gun-camera'. It's above the folding-fin rocket pod, and would most likely be triggered to run when the rockets were fired, to give a confirmation of what was hit during an attack. WWII fighter aircraft had gun-cameras that were used for this purpose - so it's not a new thing.

The cameras under the nose of the Mi-24 Hind are for target acquisition and lock.

Yea I was thinking the same thing but wanted to see if I could find an example before commenting but couldn’t really find anything. My guess it that is prob something done locally in what ever squadron it was attached to. I know we used to play with different camera setups on some of our birds in the 80s. (They still do I’m guessing)

Thanks all! What Foxhall said makes a lot of sense; and anzac also is probably right. This could be something added on, I have a few books on the Ethiopian Air Force of the time and they were notorious for such experimentation.

There's a possibility that this aircraft may have been used as a 'weapons training platform' and therefore the addition of the camera could simply be to get the results of the sortie back into the classroom for discussion?

There's a possibility that this aircraft may have been used as a 'weapons training platform' and therefore the addition of the camera could simply be to get the results of the sortie back into the classroom for discussion?
Possibly yes. But none of the materials I have mention the camera. This is all one of the magazines I have says about the Mi-24s.
IMG_20200206_151943~2.jpg
The serial on the one I photographed is 1639. So may be this is a later addition with additional capabilities added on?

Edit:
And I am guessing this (the one that looks like an eyepiece) is the gun sight for the front gunner?

Attachments

• DSC_6719.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard