Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Milky Way Time Lapse Video 17 seconds

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Location - mountain top near Big Sky,Montana

Here is a very short clip of the Milky Way. Last night was the “new” moon. E.g.: NO moon, so the best time of the month to have dark skies to shoot stars. I went to my favorite mountain top, with no houses or lights around within several miles, and spent 3 hours in the very dark wilderness shooting this short clip.
Best seen full screen and sound

Tech
Nikon D750 body
Nikkor 14-24mm, f/2.8 lens
295 total exposures at f/2.8
10 second exposures with 20 second intervals between exposures.
ISO 1250

Last edited:
Another nice one. I'm surprised at the number of meteors.

I find myself slowing these videos down to half speed in the Vimeo settings. To me, they're far more interesting when viewed slower. There's so much going on that I can't really absorb and appreciate it at full speed.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Another nice one. I'm surprised at the number of meteors.

I find myself slowing these videos down to half speed in the Vimeo settings. To me, they're far more interesting when viewed slower. There's so much going on that I can't really absorb and appreciate it at full speed.
There were tons of shooting stars- I'd guess you call them meteors.

This 17 second clip took about 6 total hours! Three hours to shoot from leaving the condo and driving to the site, to the actual shoot, which was a 1 1/2 hours, and 30 minutes drive back. The computer time took another several hours. I would have liked a longer sequence like about 15 seconds, but I would have had to stay there until 2 AM. I was out of the house from 9:00 PM to 1 AM on a dark mountain top in bear county. It was so dark I could barely see my tripod and camera. During the shoot, the Milky Way moved from the left of my frame to the right of the frame.

I tried the Vimeo player at 0.5 speed and it was jittery and the music was off.

Please be my guest and slow them down as much as you want. I could have shot at a slower rate (like a 15 second interval).

Awsome, loved seeing the meteors.

Though I would run each frame through topaz-denoise. Seems you were using a high ISO and there was a bunch of noise and color (mostly green) color aberrations

Awsome, loved seeing the meteors.

Though I would run each frame through topaz-denoise. Seems you were using a high ISO and there was a bunch of noise and color (mostly green) color aberrations
I used the Photoshop Luminosity and color noise reduction and the ISO was only 1250. Most of the workshops and You Tubes recommend ISO 1600-3200. I am not sure Topaz Denoise will work on a video. I have NIK Define which is a great denoiser, but I cannot use on Define on video.

Last edited:
Reactions: danwnz
I used the Photoshop Luminosity and color noise reduction and the ISO was only 1250. Most of the workshops and You Tubes recommend ISO 1600-3200. I am not sure Topaz Denoise will work on a video. I have NIK Define which is a great denser, but I cannot use on Define on video.
You would have to use something like topaz video enhance ai. Not many people have computers that are fast enough to run it in real time. Last time I used it it said two days to render. Not what I wanted to hear LOL

• Wow
Reactions: Rchawks

Here is a very short clip of the Milky Way. Last night was the “new” moon. E.g.: NO moon, so the best time of the month to have dark skies to shoot stars. I went to my favorite mountain top, with no houses or lights around within several miles, and spent 3 hours in the very dark wilderness shooting this short clip.

Tech
Nikon D750 body
ISO 1250
Awesome clip. It blows mind my to think of the vastness of our galaxy and the infinite universe on which we live that God Almighty created.

I don’t know your workflow, but whenever I do Timelapses, my statrting point is always single images that I later assemble into videos.
The HDR Timelapses were great. I don't have my clouds go so fast- I use an interval of about 3-4 seconds for clouds.

I follow the teaching and use the the software developed by Gunther Wegner in Germany. His amazing program does all of the work, including uploading the folder containing the sequential images (frames), Lightroom adjustments including the availability of the new Lightroom masking tool for both sky selections and other selections (foreground, linear, spot treatment). The final render is also done in the software. Here is the website and if you are interested, here are free tutorials, and free trial. www.lrtimelapse.com
The individual frames are shot with my DSLR and built in intervalometer. With the Nikon D750 I can control the exposure parameters (shutter speed, ISO, aperture).

Dale

The HDR Timelapses were great. I don't have my clouds go so fast- I use an interval of about 3-4 seconds for clouds.
The clouds over Canmore were going exceptionally fast — If I realized just how fast I'd have used a shorter interval. I'm used to much slower weather! ;)

The clouds over Canmore were going exceptionally fast — If I realized just how fast I'd have used a shorter interval. I'm used to much slower weather! ;)
I will be staying in Canmore (VRBO) for a trip to the parks next August. I already have my Canada drone permit. Any tips other than staying out of the view of people?

Dale

I will be staying in Canmore (VRBO) for a trip to the parks next August. I already have my Canada drone permit. Any tips other than staying out of the view of people?

Dale
What level of Canadian certification do you have?

Remember that drones are prohibited in national parks, unless you have specific authorization. Alberta provincial parks also prohibit them. There is no exception for sub-250 g drones in parks. This will affect you around Canmore, as most of the land around it is part of a provincial park. I think the Grassi Lakes trail isn't in a park, but you'll need to check the maps. Cougar Creek and Grotto Mountain trails might enter provincial park lands.

Use the NRC site selection tool to see what regulations affect you at the national level. Provincial and municipal regulations don't show up on this, which is why I mentioned Alberta provincial parks.

Canmore has two heliports which are fairly heavily used, so unless you have an advanced sRPAS certificate and a SFOC you won't be able to fly over the town itself (unless you have a sub-250g drone), and even if you do you will need to be really careful about low-flying helicopters. Helicopter tours are also a thing, so be careful away from the town as well.

Lac des Arcs and Dead Mans Flats are both good places to fly: open spaces with great views.

Keep a close eye on the fire situation. It can go pear-shaped really quickly, and you don't want to risk interfering with airborne firefighting.

Also keep a weather eye out for bears. They've been gradually getting more aggressive as climate change is affecting their food supply, and also as more people push into their ranges.

Last edited:

Tech
Nikon D750 body
ISO 1250
Thanks for those specs - I can't wait to get to a dark zone to give that a try.

Reactions: PAW
What level of Canadian certification do you have?

Remember that drones are prohibited in national parks, unless you have specific authorization. Alberta provincial parks also prohibit them. There is no exception for sub-250 g drones in parks. This will affect you around Canmore, as most of the land around it is part of a provincial park. I think the Grassi Lakes trail isn't in a park, but you'll need to check the maps. Cougar Creek and Grotto Mountain trails might enter provincial park lands.

Use the NRC site selection tool to see what regulations affect you at the national level. Provincial and municipal regulations don't show up on this, which is why I mentioned Alberta provincial parks.

Canmore has two heliports which are fairly heavily used, so unless you have an advanced sRPAS certificate and a SFOC you won't be able to fly over the town itself (unless you have a sub-250g drone), and even if you do you will need to be really careful about low-flying helicopters. Helicopter tours are also a thing, so be careful away from the town as well.

Lac des Arcs and Dead Mans Flats are both good places to fly: open spaces with great views.

Keep a close eye on the fire situation. It can go pear-shaped really quickly, and you don't want to risk interfering with airborne firefighting.

Also keep a weather eye out for bears. They've been gradually getting more aggressive as climate change is affecting their food supply, and also as more people push into their ranges.
Thanks for all of your input. I am going to print it all out and follow all of your advise. Here is the certificate I took a test forGovernment of Canada.jpgGovernment of Canada.jpg

Tech
Nikon D750 body
ISO 1250
Bummer, I'm not able to view the video. Is it possible to give YT reference.

Bummer, I'm not able to view the video. Is it possible to give YT reference.
So sorry you cannot view. I do not use You Tube. They reduce and compress my 4K footage to 1080p and give me hassles with music rights. Here is the link again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078