DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2, mini 3 or 3 pro?

k00ba

Reactions
Hi. I'm new here and to drones altogether. I'm a photographer and I'm thinking about getting a drone for photography (I'm not interested in videos). Should I spend more and buy mini 3pro or will mini 3 (or even mini 2?) be sufficient? Please help, I'm torn.

Buy what you need. You can compare the specs here.

I know the difference between models, I've done my homework. I thought there was maybe someone with similar dilemma and I could pick their brain a little.

@k00ba firstly welcome to the forum
well as you already know the specs of each drone ,then as a photographer ,you should already know which of the drones would serve your needs
they all fly in a similar way ,its just whether you need OA or not ,and the automated flight pre programmed features or not
in your case, just for taking pictures ,then those things are not an essential
so purely down to camera specs then the Muni 3 pro has the edge

I know the difference between models, I've done my homework.
Cool. So, what's the dilemma then? It sounds like you already know which model will meet your unique needs.

Reactions: old man mavic
There is no dilemma out of the drones you have selected. You either want the best or you want the cheapest. But, you are new, so you will want all the protection (and features) you can get.

Mini 3 Pro and be done with it!

Last edited:
As someone who recently struggled with this decision, I can say I would highly recommend the mini 3 pro - mostly for the OA - as a new pilot I think it will help keep you out of trouble. It won't ELIMINATE crashes for sure, but it will definitely help you avoid some crashes. It is more money, but I've not regretted the decision at all. The other thing I can say is get the RC controller instead of the N1 - it is so nice not to have to plug in your phone to the controller in order to fly.

The other option would be to get the mini 2 and use it as a "disposable" drone while you are learning - once you have more experience flying, purchase the mini 3 pro. Whatever route you go, I would also recommend getting Care Refresh from DJI - it will most likely be worth the money.

I have the Mini 2...for photos it isn't great. I'd go M3P if I had to do it again. You can find used ones renewed from reliable resellers for a pretty good price. I honestly fail to see why anyone would by the non-Pro Mini 3.

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
Hi. I'm new here and to drones altogether. I'm a photographer, and I'm thinking about getting a drone for photography (I'm not interested in videos). Should I spend more and buy a mini 3pro, or will mini 3 (or even mini 2?) be sufficient? Please help, I'm torn.s
I will start by saying I have 4 Drones now; I would highly suggest you buy a small, cheap DJI drone and fly every day because once you feel comfortable flying drones, and if you are a photographer, you will go out and buy the best one available 2 to 3 months in a good luck

Hi. I'm new here and to drones altogether. I'm a photographer and I'm thinking about getting a drone for photography (I'm not interested in videos). Should I spend more and buy mini 3pro or will mini 3 (or even mini 2?) be sufficient? Please help, I'm torn.
Regardless of which you choose, be aware of the RID compliance requirement which occurs in September this year. If your selection doesn’t include integrated RID capability, an add on RID module will be required, equating to additional cost.

My starter drone, Mini 2, will require the module. After nearly two years flying it with great results, I’m seriously considering the Mini 3 Pro, which has internal RID and obstacle avoidance.

Regardless of which you choose, be aware of the RID compliance requirement which occurs in September this year. If your selection doesn’t include integrated RID capability, an add on RID module will be required, equating to additional cost.

My starter drone, Mini 2, will require the module. After nearly two years flying it with great results, I’m seriously considering the Mini 3 Pro, which has internal RID and obstacle avoidance.
This info is incomplete.

A Mini 1, 2, or 3 (3 with standard battery) is under 250g / .55Lb, so for recreational use does not need to be registered. A rec-use drone that does not need to be be registered does not need RID.

Those flying non-rec will need to have each drone registered, and RID as of Sept. 16 2023, whether via native capabilities or a Broadcast Module one velcros, rubber bands, or epoxies to their drone.

FAA said:
Which Drone Pilots Must Comply With the Rule?
All drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft.
(emphasis added)
Above quote from:

Reactions: dart106
I shoot mostly stills. I'm very happy with my Mini 3 Pro. I was considering getting the Mini 2 when the Mini 3 Pro was announced (good thing I'm a ditherer!).

I like the camera; it compares well to the one in my Mavic 2 Pro. (Not quite as good, but good enough.) Low-light performance isn't quite as good, but I rarely shoot at night. Dynamic range is a bit less, but I exposure bracket/blend anyway so that isn't an issue for me.

I like that I can fly in many more places (Canada restricts sub-250 g drone much less than heavier birds).

I like the RC Controller. After having bought the Smart Controller for my Mavic I knew I wanted an integrated model for this drone too.

I like the extended battery, for trips where I can legally fly with it.

This info is incomplete.

A Mini 1, 2, or 3 (3 with standard battery) is under 250g / .55Lb, so for recreational use does not need to be registered. A rec-use drone that does not need to be be registered does not need RID.

Those flying non-rec will need to have each drone registered, and RID as of Sept. 16 2023, whether via native capabilities or a Broadcast Module one velcros, rubber bands, or epoxies to their drone.

Above quote from:
Good point re Recreational use.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom