DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mini 2 stiff motor (question)

skordilious

Reactions
Yesterday i go to a location to fly my mini 2. I search the forum here and i found similar problems. I try to take off and i get a message aircraft can't take off motor error. I observe one motor of the four not starting up. I manually push it with my hand and finally mini 2 take off. I was worried and when the aircraft land i inspect it and i realize the motor was stiffer than the other and not spining freely. The answer i look is: in the future this is a cause for a fail of the motor and a crash? should i worry and send it to dji? I inspect it carefully with my magnifying glass but i'm not seeing any hair or something else.
Thank you.

The Motors should never be stiff, they should always rotate smoothly. You can check for debris and even use a can of air but I would be considering getting a replacement .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain.
yeah i know that always should rotate smoothly. i inspect carefully the motor and is in excellent condition. the funny thing is that all motors stop equally and start the same. the drone seems to fly without problem..

It is possible that the blades were maybe just stuck together as it may have been just a 1 time fluke . That would explain why when you pushed them it fired up or maybe you could have just tried powering them on a second time and it would have started anyway.

Phantomrain.org

Reactions: skordilious
It is possible that the blades were maybe just stuck together as it may have been just a 1 time fluke . That would explain why when you pushed them it fired up or maybe you could have just tried powering them on a second time and it would have started anyway.

Phantomrain.org
nope the blades was fine. thats not the case. the stiffed motor doesn't even start.IMG_3777.jpg

Had a stiff motor several months ago. A drop of light weight machine oil did wonders. Other posters here say "no no" to oil, but it has worked fine for me. Can't imagine why oil would hurt anything. I doubt the bearing material is damaged by oil, for instance, and it's non conducting.

As the OP originally described the issue, it sounds like the motor had a torque stall, which is quite common in brushless motors. I've only experienced this once on a Phantom 3 long ago but still fly it occasionally. If it is worrisome then return the drone, diagnosing the problem would require a multimeter on the motor and/or an oscilloscope on the ESC side.

Cheers!

Had a stiff motor several months ago. A drop of light weight machine oil did wonders. Other posters here say "no no" to oil, but it has worked fine for me. Can't imagine why oil would hurt anything. I doubt the bearing material is damaged by oil, for instance, and it's non conducting.
with machine oil the motor after that should get all the dirt from dusts and other particles.

Reactions: Gagey52
I used 3 in 1 oil because I had some around, but any light machine oil would work. The key is to have a light oil because it won't leave enough film to attract dirt, but will leave enough film to lubricate in a light duty application like a small drone shaft. Do not use WD40, though, as it's not really a lubricant.

I put it at the base of the prop shaft, where it goes into the motor. Just one drop or so should do it, then gently spin the blades by hand until you feel them loosen. If one drop doesn't do it, try one more, but don't use enough to leave a mess in the motor. It won't harm the motor per se, but could attract dust, which is your concern. Remember, these bearings are tiny!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78