DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Hits Bus!

all that video did was show how not to fly the drone in one of the auto flight modes
it is not intended to avoid moving obstacles all he had to do was be a couple of feet higher ,and it would have cleared the bus

OMG : this was silly, those sensors do not have the ability to calculate that quickly, These Chips are not Super Computer chips ,, they need time to Negotiate and that bus was not wasting anyone time as it accelerated thru.

There is a reason why those Sensors are Disabled In Sport Mode , this is a great example of that !
It just does not have the chip power to do it.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain., Land on the Water and Stay away from Tracking on the Open Road.

@Phantomrain.org i think you are being very generous ,just calling what he did silly,at the very least it was foolhardy and irresponsible ,imagine if it had hit the screen of the bus,and caused the driver to swerve ,sorry ,but i dont care if i am vilified for my comments on this one

Some other banter posted in the mini 3 section.

Yes, wrong place to be flying / testing really, mostly altitude that should have allowed for such vehicles (also with a generous additional safety margin), but other mistakes like no PIC to take over immediately a risk developed, provable built up area / traffic etc.

Pilot is lucky the people concerned we’re not more upset.
Maybe some of the parents if any kids on the bus would be.

Reactions: 4006448 and Droniac
It depends on what he was filming in: 4K disables APAS.

Just as a matter of interest. @BigAl07 etc. Since this is a crash involving a 3rd party, is there a legal requirement that the pilot should report this incident to the FAA?

Just as a matter of interest. @BigAl07 etc. Since this is a crash involving a 3rd party, is there a legal requirement that the pilot should report this incident to the FAA?
In the video the filmer stated he is in Canada, so different agency.

Ahh, I assumed the bus meant USA, I didn't bother reading the subtitles etc.
Cause only the U.S. has school buses? LOL. I know...had to tell between the U.S. and Canada most of the time.

Good Stuff - Aside from the school bus - the video is well-served to show the capability of the Mini has progressed to that of its big brothers, all with a lower cost in a considerably smaller package!

Thanks Mike

Reactions: Torque
I think people are being a little hard on him. People who live on this forum pick up on detailed information. Some are very technical type people, which is great. We learn from them. DJI preaches on the most advanced sensors and all the fantastic things it can do. The general public then flies their drone with this brain washing. They find the hype is fallible. With that said, the average person doesn't think about sensor response and moving objects. I bet there are a lot of people on this forum that didn't know the limitations and never made any response. Why would they? From this man's mishap, many have learned a good lesson. That's why staying in touch with other flyers makes flying safer and more fun.

Cause only the U.S. has school buses? LOL. I know...had to tell between the U.S. and Canada most of the time.
I would associate yellow school buses of that style with USA, I do not know about Canada. Here school buses are ordinary passenger buses such as commuters use and probably return to commuter service when not ferrying kids.

Reactions: 72evenant and pommy
I think people are being a little hard on him.
Respectfully I disagree.
He has drone videos on his channel that date from 09/11/2020, so he's no newbie, YouTube
/watch?v=XfcbAk8Er5s , also a 'totalling' crash.
It looks like he has made videos about the Mini SE, the Air 2s, the Mini 3 and two types of FPV.
To be honest I would say flying low over a street is not common sense.
As far as I can see he didn't even brake, to execute any form of control over the drone, between the time the bus came into view and the crash,
I would have been standing on the anchors as soon as that bus came into view.
But I am an old f--t lol.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing

Respectfully I disagree.
He has drone videos on his channel that date from 09/11/2020, so he's no newbie, YouTube
/watch?v=XfcbAk8Er5s , also a 'totalling' crash. It looks like he has made videos about the Mini SE, the Air 2s, the Mini 3 and two types of FPV.
To be honest I would say flying low over a street is not common sense. As far as I can see he didn't even brake, to execute any form of control over the drone, between the time the bus came into view and the crash,
I would have been standing on the anchors as soon as that bus came into view.
But I am an old f--t lol.

Amen.

He's an experienced pilot and should have done better. He was flying a new drone and using an automated flight feature with which he had little experience on the model. He chose a public place with vehicles. He was not at all in control of the drone. He positioned the drone behind him so that he could not see it. He put himself into a situation where he could not possibly respond to what happened. Oddly, he chose to publicize his bad choices and mistakes.

In my opinion, he was very fortunate that the consequences were not a lot worse.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan