DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Hits Bus!

I think people are being a little hard on him. People who live on this forum pick up on detailed information. Some are very technical type people, which is great. We learn from them. DJI preaches on the most advanced sensors and all the fantastic things it can do. The general public then flies their drone with this brain washing. They find the hype is fallible. With that said, the average person doesn't think about sensor response and moving objects. I bet there are a lot of people on this forum that didn't know the limitations and never made any response. Why would they? From this man's mishap, many have learned a good lesson. That's why staying in touch with other flyers makes flying safer and more fun.
I agree!!!

Reactions: Torque
Amen.

He's an experienced pilot and should have done better. He was flying a new drone and using an automated flight feature with which he had little experience on the model. He chose a public place with vehicles. He was not at all in control of the drone. He positioned the drone behind him so that he could not see it. He put himself into a situation where he could not possibly respond to what happened. Oddly, he chose to publicize his bad choices and mistakes.

In my opinion, he was very fortunate that the consequences were not a lot worse.
Agree

Reactions: old man mavic
In the video the filmer stated he is in Canada, so different agency.
Hi Kevin...from a Canadian,

Here in Canada we have a to report any accident to the TSB (Transport Safety Board).
As far as I understand, it only applies to drones weighing over 25kgs.
That said though, the bus driver should report the accident to the Motor vehicle branch.
Even a scratched safety light on the corner of the bus could cost a few bucks to fix.
As for the accident itself, who in there right mind would have a drone following them around
on a city street? Hey, maybe next time I'll take my DJI FPV drone to the shopping mall and
have it film me as I shop. What a great idea!! The problem with people like that is...
they do not comprehend the meaning of the word "responsible/reasonable" flying.
Sorry for the long rant Kevin, but here in Canada I guess we do not have to report the
accident in this situation.
Cheers
Lance

The problem with people like that is...
they do not comprehend the meaning of the word "responsible/reasonable" flying.
This.
It’s called common sense, and often not all that common.
Perhaps part of the reason why authorities seem to always be wanting tighter controls over the minions.

Even the Skydio says it can’t avoid moving obstacles (vehicles). Poor piloting skills in a residential area - on a Beta version of the app.

Even the Skydio says it can’t avoid moving obstacles (vehicles). Poor piloting skills in a residential area - on a Beta version of the app.
It didn't even rise to the standard of poor piloting. The drone was in an automated flight mode and the "pilot" was riding a bike with the drone behind him.

Reactions: 4006448
It was definitely the closure rate between the bus and the drone. I don't know any drone with sensors that could have reacted so quickly. Maybe the Skydio? I'm not sure how you set the altitude on active track, but I think it's wise to judge the maximum height of ANYTHING that might not be stationary. It's a good thing that the only damage was to the drone.

It was definitely the closure rate between the bus and the drone. I don't know any drone with sensors that could have reacted so quickly. Maybe the Skydio? I'm not sure how you set the altitude on active track, but I think it's wise to judge the maximum height of ANYTHING that might not be stationary. It's a good thing that the only damage was to the drone.
Even Skydio says their drones don't avoid moving obstacles.

Reactions: vindibona1
If you ignore common sense for a moment, in the UK, flying down a public road like that is illegal. I'd be surprised if this isn't the case in Canada and most other countries for that matter. I'm surprised no one has pointed this out. He got off lightly with the bus driver who is supposed to be responsible for his passengers and probably doesn't know the law.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d