DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro with RC Pro controller update August 17-2022

alfo2010

Reactions
I just updated to firmware V0l.00.0300 and flew my Mini 3 this early evening. There may be slight improvement in the signal strength but not much or as hoped for. I flew the Mini 3 from my house and then flew over a park with some 80 ft trees and the signal held at about a 150 ff, once I flew further afield, I had to go to 250 ft. and the signal improved a bit but became intermittent. I flew about 1 mile out. At no time was there a complete signal loss as I had one time with the RC. It sure is nice to control the Mini 3 with the RC Pro, everything is smooth and I'm back to my awesome screen. Like everyone else I've been waiting for this firmware to be released, thanks DJI.

Reactions: Artphotography
Heavily leaved trees are signal strength's worst enemy. I think about 3000' or so is about what we should expect when the signal doesn't have to pass through trees and such. I hope to get out on the lake soon so I can do some signal testing without any obstructions.

Your member info doesn't say where you're "home" is located. I presume that you're in the US as you are using feet instead of meters. But it might be helpful to know where you are. The EU and UK have transmission restrictions that we don't have in the US.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
RC controller with unobstructed range yesterday was 3,900’ plus before I couldn’t see my beacons and brought it back. I had intermittent brief orange RC connection until I went up a bit higher. I had all bars solid white connections, did stills, movies, etc, no problem.

Last edited:
Heavily leaved trees are signal strength's worst enemy. I think about 3000' or so is about what we should expect when the signal doesn't have to pass through trees and such. I hope to get out on the lake soon so I can do some signal testing without any obstructions.

Your member info doesn't say where you're "home" is located. I presume that you're in the US as you are using feet instead of meters. But it might be helpful to know where you are. The EU and UK have transmission restrictions that we don't have in the
It’s hard to get past 2500 feet in my heavily treed area. I notice much better range when flying down a long straight road.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will find there is no real difference in the RC and RC Pro range based on the videos shared so far.
I hate to bring a thread back from the dead, but is there any truth to this? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the RC Pro and don't want to waste my money if the RC that comes with the Mini 3 Pro is sufficient. Thanks for any help!

I hate to bring a thread back from the dead, but is there any truth to this? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the RC Pro and don't want to waste my money if the RC that comes with the Mini 3 Pro is sufficient. Thanks for any help!

If you want to see for yourself, go on YouTube and there are plenty of M3P range tests with the "cheap" DJI RC where people fly 9 miles out or so. There are also side by side comparisons with the RC Pro on this latest firmware and there is no real difference.

It also makes sense, since DJI rates the maximum range in ideal conditions of both controller/drone combos the same.

The only thing with the DJI RC is that because it has internal antennas, it's more sensitive to the orientation of the controller in your hand, whereas you can adjust the external antennas on the RC Pro independently.

The M3P has fewer antennas than the bigger drones like the M3, it doesn't get the same level of reception regardless of what controller is being used, but it's still more than enough to fly within VLOS laws in most instances so it's really a non-issue. After a KM or so out you're not flying legally anyway unless you have a dedicated spotter and it should have no trouble at that distance regardless of the remote.

Some people seem to be having an issue where the drone kicks down into CE mode, which dramatically reduces range, but that is separate from any differences between the two remotes.

So far as range is concerned with the Mini 3 Pro, there seems to be no difference but the two remotes are different in many other ways besides how they work with the one drone. My Air 2S range with the Pro remote is much better than my Mini 3 with the Pro remote. Since the regular RC is not yet compatible with Air 2S I cannot compare those.

The point I was making is do not shop based on the perception that you will get more range with the mini because the Pro has external antennas.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972