DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minnesota - Where CAN we fly?

CptQuad

Reactions
Hi All - Let's collaborate on legal and permissible drone flying areas. I'm new to the game and have a Mavic Pro 2. I'm interested in finding places to fly that don't require a special use permit, and neither the FAA B4Ufly app or Airmap are comprehensive in this regard. They do not include Minnesota state restrictions (we can't fly in MN state parks for example) or local restrictions (Minneapolis parks prohibit recreation drone flights, and there are county-specific restrictions as well). I've provided some useful links below on restrictions in Minnesota that I'm aware of, and I'd really appreciate help identifying areas where we CAN fly. It sounds like flying in State Forests is allowed.

Thanks in advance for your contributions!

MN Restrictions on Drone Flight:
Minnesota – State Drone Law
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
Public Safety | Three Rivers Park District

MN State Forests (drone flying is allowed - I think):
State Forests - Minnesota DNR

Last edited:
Hi All - Let's collaborate on legal and permissible drone flying areas. I'm new to the game and have a Mavic Pro 2. I'm interested in finding places to fly that don't require a special use permit, and neither the FAA B4Ufly app or Airmap are comprehensive in this regard. They do not include Minnesota state restrictions (we can't fly in MN state parks for example) or local restrictions (Minneapolis parks prohibit recreation drone flights, and there are county-specific restrictions as well). I've provided some useful links below on restrictions in Minnesota that I'm aware of, and I'd really appreciate help identifying areas where we CAN fly. It sounds like flying in State Forests is allowed.

Thanks in advance for your contributions!

MN Restrictions on Drone Flight:
Minnesota – State Drone Law
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
Public Safety | Three Rivers Park District

MN State Forests (drone flying is allowed - I think):
State Forests - Minnesota DNR
I live in the Twin Cities. I believe you've highlighted most of the issues pertaining to MN. I believe the BWCA and Superior National Forest are two other areas where you cannot fly a drone. Other than permit required areas noted in your links I believe the remainder of the state is mostly open to flying as long as you mind the restrictions noted in AirMap. Caveat: I'm new to this and have been learning as quickly as possible, so I may not be 100% accurate. Here's another link that may be helpful to you as well.
Master List of Drone Laws (Organized by State / Country) l UAV Coach

If you're just getting started and need a place to practice I suggest looking for smaller community athletic fields. They usually have four ball diamonds and maybe a soccer field or two. Get there on a weekday afternoon or earlier on a Saturday/Sunday before the games begin. Be sure to check local ordinances first though - St Bonni has a drone ban in place with pretty stiff penalties - the first in the nation from what I can tell. I'm headed for the country this weekend if the weather holds - looking for old abandoned farm houses and such...

Reactions: Jet skier
Go to the AirMap app and it will actually show areas near the Twin Cities were flying drones is encouraged it will show the areas in the green circles
Mike

Reactions: Kneebeard
I’m studying AirMap, looking for places for my first drone flight while I’m up in Nevis for the next few days, and I see an area marked in green just to the south west of Park Rapids. Does anyone know what this is? Is it a small park or some such? It’s well within the caution zone for Park Rapids Airport so I wondered if anyone knew anything about it.
Thanks
Ian

I’m studying AirMap, looking for places for my first drone flight while I’m up in Nevis for the next few days, and I see an area marked in green just to the south west of Park Rapids. Does anyone know what this is? Is it a small park or some such? It’s well within the caution zone for Park Rapids Airport so I wondered if anyone knew anything about it.
Thanks
Ian
It is probably an RC club that’s what the green circles stand for flying is encouraged there

Reactions: Ian_Holmes
It is probably an RC club that’s what the green circles stand for flying is encouraged there

An RC Club May be private, and only allow dues paying members to use their airfield. Worth checking into before you head out there.

Reactions: Ian_Holmes
An RC Club May be private, and only allow dues paying members to use their airfield. Worth checking into before you head out there.
It looks like all farm fields

Reactions: Shon
It seems to be the site of the Headwaters R/C club
I just looked up the area on the sectional map and it shows nothing except for a high tension line in that area

btw, more than half of those laws you cite are unenforceable. the state of minnesota has zero jurisdiction over airspace or drone registration. that is FAA territory

btw, more than half of those laws you cite are unenforceable. the state of minnesota has zero jurisdiction over airspace or drone registration. that is FAA territory

I was going to write something similar. The town of st. Bonifacius especially seems to be mis-informed as to who regulates airspace, even over their town.

Now whether you want to spend your money to teach them that is a different story.

The rest of it is non-sense too. They can prohibit you from taking off and landing somewhere, but they can’t prohibit you from flying over. You can take off and land on private property, keep it in vlos and fly over a park observing any other applicable federal regs, they don’t own the air above a park.

As previously mentioned, it might wind up costing you money to prove it to them.

Last edited:
I was going to write something similar. The town of st. Bonifacius especially seems to be mis-informed as to who regulates airspace, even over their town.

Now whether you want to spend your money to teach them that is a different story.

The rest of it is non-sense too. They can prohibit you from taking off and landing somewhere, but they can’t prohibit you from flying over. You can take off and land on private property, keep it in vlos and fly over a park observing any other applicable federal regs, they don’t own the air above a park.

As previously mentioned, it might wind up costing you money to prove it to them.
Cities and towns can have jurisdiction over take offs and landings but that is all

Hi. Trying to resurrect this thread. I have a Mavic Pro 2 on the way.

Sounds like areas I CANNOT fly in are:

- Parks (National, State, City, especially Mississippi)
- Directly at the airport (but I can fly within the 5 mile radius at low altitude as long as I get permissions granted automatically via app)

It is interesting that according to the B4UFly app, the Mississippi River is off-limits until I get South of the MSP airport - but then I don't know if the rest of the valley counts as Park as in "don't fly here"...

I CAN fly in my back yard or in the alley as long as I'm careful and avoid people etc., but that's hardly a good place to try out all the drone features.

So back to the original topic title:

Where CAN we fly? :)

Or: Where do YOU fly?

I found this link ( The 5 Best Places to Fly a Drone in Minneapolis (2020) | UAV Coach ) but I'm doubtful since Loring and Lake of the Isles are parks (so the city doesn't want us fly there), and because there's a lot of water there which is not ideal for a beginner.

I'm in South Minneapolis and am hoping for a spot South or Southeast of the city.

Maybe I'll just pick a highway until I find a farmer's field somewhere, but here have to be some favorite spots.

Thanks!

Hi. Trying to resurrect this thread. I have a Mavic Pro 2 on the way.

Sounds like areas I CANNOT fly in are:

- Parks (National, State, City, especially Mississippi)
- Directly at the airport (but I can fly within the 5 mile radius at low altitude as long as I get permissions granted automatically via app)

It is interesting that according to the B4UFly app, the Mississippi River is off-limits until I get South of the MSP airport - but then I don't know if the rest of the valley counts as Park as in "don't fly here"...

I CAN fly in my back yard or in the alley as long as I'm careful and avoid people etc., but that's hardly a good place to try out all the drone features.

So back to the original topic title:

Where CAN we fly? :)

Or: Where do YOU fly?

I found this link ( The 5 Best Places to Fly a Drone in Minneapolis (2020) | UAV Coach ) but I'm doubtful since Loring and Lake of the Isles are parks (so the city doesn't want us fly there), and because there's a lot of water there which is not ideal for a beginner.

I'm in South Minneapolis and am hoping for a spot South or Southeast of the city.

Maybe I'll just pick a highway until I find a farmer's field somewhere, but here have to be some favorite spots.

Thanks!
I live in south Minneapolis and fly at the river all the time I know areas where nobody bothers you and nobody sees you some of those parks you mentioned they have too many people in my opinion in that article of five places to fly. I could show you the plac
is if you want

I live in south Minneapolis and fly at the river all the time I know areas where nobody bothers you and nobody sees you some of those parks you mentioned they have too many people in my opinion in that article of five places to fly. I could show you the plac
is if you want

I'd appreciate that, but the River is part of National and State Parks. I know technically only take-off and landing is illegal there, but I understand the reasoning for not wanting drones there, and I do not want to bother the wildlife if I can avoid it (I sometimes see eagles near the river, for example).

If you have spots outside of parks, I'd definitely be interested.

There’s going to be wildlife everywhere not sure where are you going to find a place with no birds , Good luck

I live up in Ramsey, MN and there are some nice parks we can fly at. Large open fields for soccer that a few guys fly RC planes when sports aren’t happening. Lucky for me it’s walking distance from my house. Nice fall colors too.

Reactions: Faim
There is also an RC park about halfway between Hudson and Saint Paul right on I 94 called sodbusters RC parkIt’s OK for practicing there’s even a small water tower to practice with

I recently obtained my Mavic Pro and am joining this thread.
I am in the St Paul area dead center of a "No Fly" zone.
Really want a place to go to practice with MP after coming from a P3 S.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78