DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Missions where photos of a foreclosing home are requested.

I'm in Detroit and received a couple of these requests, but will not do them. It's totally irresponsible to evict families in the midst of a public health crisis that has killed one million in the U.S. alone.
Let's not go there. You will not like my view on this.

A significant element in this equation is a risk/benefit analysis. Variables that are unknown and you have no control over are the tenants reaction as well as neighbors reactions. Both present a potential risk. Is it worth what you might get paid to put yourself out there in harms way? Not in my Universe. Picture a worst case scenario and ask yourself the same question.

Get a drone with excellent low light capabilities, and low fan noise, like mini 3 pro. Tape over the lights and launch it at the break of dawn.

Film the property while the hoodlums are still sleeping. Also don't launch it right in front of the property

What hoodlums? You mean the people who live in the house who we know absolutely nothing about? Did you seen their criminal records months ago?

Reactions: Jbizzle
people who would beat up somebody flying a drone
My point was that you have no reason to presume that the people who live in the house are hoodlums or that they are likely to attack a drone pilot. It's no more appropriate than for me to presume that since you're in Germany that you have views sympathetic to a former German government leader.

(I'm not going to go further off topic, just please drop the name calling.)

Safety vest saves the day! Make it look like you are taking pictures of the whole area!
In some neighborhoods a Level IV full kit is more appropriate......

Hey everyone, new member here.

I recently started doing some one off jobs for dronebase, and every single job I get requires me to take photos of a home that's in foreclosure with tenants still occupying the premises. Recently I've been trying to complete a mission in a bad neighborhood in flint, MI and the tenants seem to always be outside watching for something.. I cannot get most of the required shots such as "eye level front of home, 5ft off street in front, etc.." The property is really close which is the only reason I'm bothering with it. How would you all approach this situation?

Thanks,

Just curious, what is the typical pay rate for these jobs from dronebase?

I fly my drone(s) in Camden New Jersey. It’s a city directly across the river from Philadelphia. Ill be honest it’s a city that is a shell of its former self, crime rate is high, houses in many parts of the city are vacant or unwanted but I get calls for commercial drone work there very often. Never once did I feel threatened or have a problem.

I'm also curious about this. What kind of frequent work are you getting there in Camden? Not being facetious, just genuinely curious.

Don’t take the job unless you need the $ to put food on your table. As 107 pilots, we’re supposed to evaluate the risk factor before we take off. This sounds like it may be a different type of risk.

Reactions: Crow Horse
Just curious, what is the typical pay rate for these jobs from dronebase?

I'm also curious about this. What kind of frequent work are you getting there in Camden? Not being facetious, just genuinely curious.

I have an realtor I work with on occasion who owns commercial property there. I’ve done about 8 or so projects with her in Camden this year.

Yes of course I forgot people on these types of forums take advice seriously and I forgot to say it was a JOKE people.
The point should have been if you look official they will probably not even ask what you are doing. Wear a bright colored vest, use safety cones to keep people away from the PIC. Leave a flyer in the mailbox or door to let them know you will be there on a certain date and time.
You didn't forget.
Put on a cop uniform (Joke)

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
You didn't forget.
Well to be fair I did not think people would take my comment seriously but it seemed some did so I edited the comment.
Just to be clear it was a joke, perhaps not funny to some but life is to short not to joke about things.

Well to be fair I did not think people would take my comment seriously but it seemed some did so I edited the comment.
Just to be clear it was a joke, perhaps not funny to some but life is to short not to joke about things.
Understood.

I recently started doing some one off jobs for dronebase, and every single job I get requires me to take photos of a home that's in foreclosure with tenants still occupying the premises. Recently I've been trying to complete a mission in a bad neighborhood in flint, MI and the tenants seem to always be outside watching for something.. I cannot get most of the required shots such as "eye level front of home, 5ft off street in front, etc.." The property is really close which is the only reason I'm bothering with it. How would you all approach this situation?

Thanks,

Welcome to the forum, Sir BeardieFPV!

My 2c, very simple, if you're not overall comfortable with a job, just decline!
Life is too short!
Happy, and safe, Flying!

Thanks,
The vest and cones are a good idea, thank you for that input. The client wants me to be very discreet about it, but when every is on the porch staring at the drone trying to take images of the home it feels a little wrong and awkward.

I don't know why but as I read your posts about this job, I see elements that make me think something is not on the 'up and up'.

So they (DroneBase), wants you to take pictures of a property and tell YOU it's under foreclosure and then tell you NOT to talk to the occupants or be discreet about it? I would ask why, and specifically I would explain that; whether the house is under foreclosure or not, those living in that house have an expectation of privacy and sneaking around would make me (you), look mischievous and possibly expose you to confrontation (without an explanation), or possibly danger.

I've shot real estate photography for years and the one stipulation I have is that the occupants are notified that we will be on site for the purpose of photographing on the ground and/or in the air. I keep a copy of the job contract with me during the shoot so if I am questioned by neighbors or if law enforcement is called, I can show just cause for what I am doing.

So, how would I approach this situation? By telling Dronebase - no thanks.

Reactions: snowghost

Thanks,
At eye level just use a regular camera or hold the drone and use it's camera.

Many mortgage companies negotiate with and pay $$ to tenants in foreclosure to not damage the property and move. You said dronebase said not to contact them but the tenants might appreciate a few bucks since they likely know that they are getting the boot. That’s between you and dronebase.

Some interesting replies from another more recent thread in almost exact same scenario.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d