DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor hot

JerryNimrod

Reactions
Flew Air 2 yesreday. Ran out 2 batteries. On shutdown I noticed one motor was much hotter than the other 3. I got no warnings and flights were normal. Should I be cautious now. Thanks

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. One should always be cautious of hot motors. Is it new or do you have a few hours up on it?
Regards

Yes be cautious, Had one very hot motor on a Yuneec quad, (no touch) that eventually melted the plastic mounting (arm) and almost came out. Upon re-melt of motor mount to fix I finally got a new motor that heated up as much as the old one and then the motor on the other arm (both motors spin in same direction) started getting no touch hot. Well this AC is sitting on the shelf, I assume now that the ESC is bad. So instead of spending any more cash on this AC, I went and purchase a MA2, problem fixed!!!! The yuneec quad is still air worthy as long as you fly no more than 5-7 mins, any longer and those 2 motors WILL detach from the air frame from the extremly hot motor mounts. ESC has to be bad so its not worth fixing, yuneec mantis q......

Reactions: Gagey52
Drone has about 2 hours on it. I can still touch it but its definitely hotter than the other ones

I’d return to place of purchase for exchange.
That’s usually consumer law in most developed countries where a product is virtually new and isn’t fit for purpose . . . easier and faster than dealing with DJI.
If a DJI direct purchase, then get onto them to open a ticket for return.

Reactions: Gagey52
Just fly the drone there's no need to return it. It's totally normal for the motors to heat up. Buy yourself a digital therm so you're not guessing!

Mike

With one motor hot and the other 3 motors being warm would indicate bad bearings or possibly a bad ESC as suggested by another person. Check how easy it is to spin the "hot" motor versus the other three. All should be a stepped spin like in this video. If the "hot" motor doesn't spin like the other 3 motors then it's likely bad bearings. Best to return since it's relatively new.

Flew Air 2 yesreday. Ran out 2 batteries. On shutdown I noticed one motor was much hotter than the other 3. I got no warnings and flights were normal. Should I be cautious now. Thanks
It's normal for the motors to get hot.
If the drone is flying normally, I wouldn't worry at all.
How sure are you about your ability to detect critical temperature differences with bare hands?

It's normal for the motors to get hot.
The OP said only one motor was much hotter than the other three and not that all four motors where hot. Every time I have flown, all four motors are at the same temperature and never hot to the touch.

The OP said only one motor was much hotter than the other three and not that all four motors where hot. Every time I have flown, all four motors are at the same temperature and never hot to the touch.
He said that, but how accurate is his temperature sensing finger?
I've never heard of any DJI drone having motor problems and it's quite normal for the motors to be quite hot after a flight.
It's quite unlikely that he has a problem with the motors.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh