DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

JTS

Reactions
Is there a consensus as to which is preferable? Or is it just taste?

The reason I ask is I that I switched to mp4 yesterday just for kicks and for the first time I got the watercolor effect.

Both will work and the quality should not be different either way you go.

Do certain TV brands come with decoders for one type vs the orher?

Eg I placed a microsd USB reader in a TV at the hotel I am staying at currently and was able to view the photos nice and large but none of the mp4 videos...have not tried mov yet...

This was an LG flatscreen.

Eg I placed a microsd USB reader in a TV at the hotel I am staying at currently and was able to view the photos nice and large but none of the mp4 videos...have not tried mov yet...

Many of the newer LG TV's support the .mp4 encoded videos. Instead of gambling on which TV in which hotel / motel will work an inexpensive Google Chrome Cast plugged into the TV would allow one to "cast" thier laptop computers screen to the TV. You would need a TV with an HDMI input and the memory to remove the Chromecast from every TV that you installed it upon. :)

The 4K TCL Roku TVs do not natively support either the .mp4 or .mov extension/codec, FWIW.

I have a chrome cast and an MS surface equiv. I forgot it's in the bag of misc :)... I'll give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

My LG will only do .mp4 1080. No .mov or 2k or 4k

That's a really good observation! I was trying to play the direct 4K files from the Mavic. I did not try to downconvert to 1080 and see if the TV would play them.

I did use the wireless MS Surface adapter and played from my Surface to the TV. The surface was sharper (higher res screen I believe) but the image on the TV was still very impressive (1080p i think is the Miracast std)

Wait....so you can select an option for which format your videos record in? Can someone tell me where that is if it's true?

Yes @tswitz65. With your Mavic on and parked (not flying) press the little adjustment slider lookin' things right side of apps screen. This will show the camera options.

MOV and MP4 are the two codec containers to chose from. The codec within the MOV is H-264. I don't think one can change the actual codec...

Yes @tswitz65. With your Mavic on and parked (not flying) press the little adjustment slider lookin' things right side of apps screen. This will show the camera options.

MOV and MP4 are the two codec containers to chose from. The codec within the MOV is H-264. I don't think one can change the actual codec...
Thanks Chris. I missed that setting somehow. Still learning this software. It leaves a lot to be desired as far as being intuitive. [emoji30]

Reactions: ChrisP2017
Thanks Chris. I missed that setting somehow. Still learning this software. It leaves a lot to be desired as far as being intuitive. [emoji30]
I had to Google it. For the life of me I couldn't find it. I have a lot to learn!

Is there a consensus as to which is preferable? Or is it just taste?

The reason I ask is I that I switched to mp4 yesterday just for kicks and for the first time I got the watercolor effect.
  • File Type: MP4 is MPEG-4 file format; MOV is Apple QuickTime Movie File Format
  • Description: MP4 is created by International Standard mainly for sharing videos online or playback on the portable devices, like all kinds of mobile phones, PSP, Roku, Xbox, etc.; MOV is developed by Apple for mainly used for its QuickTime and other Apple products, like iPhone, iPad, iPod, Apple TV, FCP, iMovie, etc
  • Container Formats: Both MP4 an MOV are container format.
  • Compressed Codecs: Both MP4 and MOV can hold many video codec, audio codecs, subtitles, etc and the video compatibility and quality depend on the held codecs
  • Limitations: MP4 is little loss in video quality and not a good format for video editing; MOV is well compatible with Apple platform and lack of cross-platform compatibility. For example, playing or editing MOV on Windows platform and other mobile devices.
  • Pros: MP4 is often small in file size and playback on cross-platforms, even compatible with Apple devices, media players and editors; MOV is usually better quality than MP4 and full support from Apple platform.
  • Resources: MP4 VS MOV: Difference Between MP4 and MOV; Convert Between MOV and MP4
  • If you need to convert MP4 to MOV or convert MOV to MP4, you may try iDealshare VideoGo

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS