DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moverio a huge letdown so far

I've only tried the Moverio glasses for just under 2 weeks (Epson sent me a review kit). Like most of you I was blown away by the image. I'm an Android & IOS user, so the interface was rather quick to negotiate. However, I can certainly see how these may not be the magical FPV glasses for everyone. A great product, and it can only get better in future versions, especially if there is some competition. My review is here (aimed at people who are wondering what the big deal is with these glasses):

Reactions: EpsonMoverio
Edit: I've warmed up to Moverio a lot since I first posted this, so please skim the thread for my later comments, as well as many positive posts by other users. Epson did contact me, and they have been very helpful. These glasses take a lot of getting used to, but I think I'll be keeping them. I'm willing to live with the trackpad and a few other issues because for someone like me who can't see a thing on a phone screen outdoors, Moverio is a very good solution.

Words can't describe how disappointed I am with the BT-300 after waiting all week for mine. I thought this would be the answer to my outdoor screen-viewing problems. And when I opened the box, there was even a free mount for the Mavic!
Today was too windy to fly, but now I'm not sure I'll even try it. Just setting this thing up has me so bleeping mad, squinting at the phone doesn't seem so bad.
Based on comments I had read, I knew the trackpad wouldn't be great, but I thought I would be able to put up with it. After all, this is not going to be my go-to word processor. But it seems like every time I touch it, I accidentally select something. Is there a setting to disable tap-to-select, so you have to press the Enter key instead? That would make the trackpad bearable, but if it's there, I can't find it.
I looked up how to quickly adjust screen brightness, but you have to toggle past the 2D/3D thing every time to get to it. Then the slider disappears before you can adjust it. So you toggle through to it again. And again. Annoy user, rinse, repeat.
The cross-key hardly works at all. I've tried every way I can think of to tap it, but most of the time it simply doesn't respond. The manual says it "will react to the lightest of touches." Baloney. I've tried light, heavy, short, long, everything. Most of the time nothing happens. The controls on this thing are absolutely maddening.
When the Epson logo appeared the first time I powered up, it was a double image. Same thing with the "Moverio" that followed it. What the heck? Thought it was just me, but my wife sees a double image too. Once I get past the startup, the image seems normal. I suspect this is just a perception thing and it takes a minute for my eyes to adjust and focus properly, but not a good first impression.
Could they have put the USB connection in a worse place? With the included straight cable, it's precisely in the way for my right hand. So much that I can hardly get my thumb on the stick. From reading comments and looking at pictures I knew I'd want a shorter cable with a 90-degree connector for this, but shouldn't something be included that is somewhat usable?
To top off the setup experience, when I tried to log in to Go 4 with my email and password, it told me to enter a mainland China phone number so it could send me a confirmation code. After I quit the app and re-launched it, the demand didn't reappear. Of course that one's not Epson's fault.
Outside, with the brightness all the way up, I cannot see much on the Go 4 screen against bright gray clouds. Looks like I'd have to be constantly searching for a dark background. Maybe that's where they got the name "Moverio": Ya got to moverie yo head a lot if you want to see anything.
I really wanted to like this thing.
To make the image very much brighter, just place some black electrical tape on the glasses behind the projected image on both sides. It makes the background black and you don't miss being able to see through that small area.

I do agree with track-pad being far to sensitive - being 1/2 blind when donning the ACE does not help. I think I'm on 2 good clicks to 1 by mistake. If I could get that down to 10:1 I would be happy.

My wishlist
1. Very adjustable click pressure setting for track-pad
2. Single button "close all running programs" - (Ready for Flying App)
3. Mount that moves track-pad up so track-pad is closer to thumbs when flying (I got the brand new Epson Mount and it is good but could be better)
4. Faster processor or optimise the base code. It does feel very sluggish. I would not mind giving up 1/2 battery life for more speed.
5. Even brighter display. I flew in Spain with lots of sun and even with ACE Dark sun-glasses it is still hard to see the image and image looks very washed out. I think I'll try single eye block out and see what happens.
6. Sleep function - better sleep function. If I do not shut it down - battery drains completely in about 8-12 hours sleep.
To make the image very much brighter, just place some black electrical tape on the glasses behind the projected image on both sides. It makes the background black and you don't miss being able to see through that small area.

Okay got the Moverio BT-300 about 2 hours ago and wanted to give my initial impressions.

Let me start off by saying that I've been using Android for the last 8 years and have ZERO issues with the included OS or navigating through it with the track pad (subjective). Once powered up I immediately connected it to my home WiFi with ease and checked for an OS update. No updates were needed so then I uninstalled the preinstalled DJI Go software and launched the Moverio App Store (which needed to be updated first) then installed the latest DJI GO 4 software available in their store.

I haven't been able to fly yet (raining) but I'm BLOWN AWAY by the image quality. I wear glasses so it took me a minute to get them adjusted and dialed in perfectly with the included nose piece for glasses, but man let me tell you the picture is crystal clear, vibrant, deep blacks, lots of contrast. The image has alot of pop/punch and the brightness is only a notch above halfway. Keep in mind that I'm indoors but I'm sure with the dark shades outside on a sunny day there would be no issues seeing this beautiful screen. I've noticed that the screen get bigger depending how far I'm away from a wall. At times it looks to be more like a 80 inch oled screen. I owned the DJI goggles briefly before getting these and these flat out blow them out the water as far as picture quality. It's simply no comparison. So we are off to a good start :D

The glasses are very light and very comfortable even with glasses behind them. I will for sure be getting my prescription made for the included frames. Mine came with the Mavic/Spark adapter which was a nice surprise. I will definitely be using these for watching Netflix and YouTube and whatever else I can think of. I'll report back once I'm able to get in the air, can't wait!

Cheers!
Did you manage to adjust the sensitivity of the trackpad if so how

I got mine not too long after they came out I'm getting a bit disillusioned with image quality I wonder if the image quality deteriorates as the glasses get older. I am more and more reverting to my Samsung Galaxy 9 plus for clarity and even thought of getting those big ugly DJI Goggles. More and more I get home and there is a dolphin I didn't see or fish just below the surface of the water. Being a great fan of them for years. Anyone know how I can get them refurbished?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan