DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moverio a huge letdown so far

Well I'm planning on getting the mavic holder and maybe the Solitaire Ace 2.0 if I decide to keep them. Have you any experience with the Ace?

Yes I was also referring to the holder that fits the MP, MA and Spark controllers

https://www.etsy.com/listing/515018...ery&ga_search_query=bt-300&ref=sr_gallery-1-1

The Solitaire ace is just a unit that completely encases the Moverio glasses turning them into full VR style goggles if you block the view with the lens insert, I don't see much use in this as VR wise the Moverio's don't have a huge ecosystem like the HTC Vive, Occulus Rift or even Samsung VR. I haven't tried porting over the Samsung Occulus VR app yet.

Okay got the Moverio BT-300 about 2 hours ago and wanted to give my initial impressions.

Let me start off by saying that I've been using Android for the last 8 years and have ZERO issues with the included OS or navigating through it with the track pad (subjective). Once powered up I immediately connected it to my home WiFi with ease and checked for an OS update. No updates were needed so then I uninstalled the preinstalled DJI Go software and launched the Moverio App Store (which needed to be updated first) then installed the latest DJI GO 4 software available in their store.

I haven't been able to fly yet (raining) but I'm BLOWN AWAY by the image quality. I wear glasses so it took me a minute to get them adjusted and dialed in perfectly with the included nose piece for glasses, but man let me tell you the picture is crystal clear, vibrant, deep blacks, lots of contrast. The image has alot of pop/punch and the brightness is only a notch above halfway. Keep in mind that I'm indoors but I'm sure with the dark shades outside on a sunny day there would be no issues seeing this beautiful screen. I've noticed that the screen get bigger depending how far I'm away from a wall. At times it looks to be more like a 80 inch oled screen. I owned the DJI goggles briefly before getting these and these flat out blow them out the water as far as picture quality. It's simply no comparison. So we are off to a good start :D

The glasses are very light and very comfortable even with glasses behind them. I will for sure be getting my prescription made for the included frames. Mine came with the Mavic/Spark adapter which was a nice surprise. I will definitely be using these for watching Netflix and YouTube and whatever else I can think of. I'll report back once I'm able to get in the air, can't wait!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Awesome to hear they are working well for you. Looking forward to hearing about your experience while flying.

Yeah let us know how you get on.

Flying impressions....

Today wasn't the best day to fly, it was 30 degrees this morning with winds gusting up to 30 mph. I live in Texas and hate the cold!!!! Anyway the Mavic Pro handled these conditions like a champ. It's an incredible drone and was very stable during my flight. Getting everything connect is the exact same as it is with your phone or tablet. Just plug everything in, launch the DJI GO 4 software, and power on the controller and drone. Everything connected flawlessly and I was up and flying within minutes and gentlemen let me tell you...

The Moverio BT-300 is absolutely bonkers and I was floored by the image and overall experience flying my quad. Wow what an upgrade over any phone or tablet (I would expect). I was using my Galaxy S8 plus before this and it's an HUGE difference. Okay okay sorry and forgive my excitement but man it's just the truth, this thing blows away everything else I've used so far (phone/ipad/dji goggles). It bring a whole new level of enjoyment to flying and if you're like me, someone brand new to flying, and want the absolute best experience possible, I think this is it. Being able to see everything the drone see's so clearly puts you in the pilot seat and this is what I was looking for. I used the dark shades because it gives the best image verses not using one or using the lighter one. I also turned the brightness all the way up and again WOW, I couldn't be any happier with my purchase, in fact today I went ahead and had my prescription added to the included frames for all of you that wear glasses. I also order the Ace 2.0 enclosure and the Solitaire Ace sun shield so that I can have the best of both worlds (home use and flying).

I was really on the fence about this product. I had being enjoying flying my Mavic before but that **** sun was killing the experience and knew something else had to be out there, I'm so glad I found it with the BT300. Amazing product and worth every penny. (Even still the price is too **** high!!)

Other thoughts, I've been enjoying Netflex, Plex and YouTube on here alot. I have a HUGE Plex library (1000s of TV/Movies/3D Movies) and it works perfectly, (I'm using the older lollipop apk).

Only problem I'm having so far is with how to switch the camera app to video?

Well good luck everyone but for me this one is a keeper and I pray that Epson continues to support and improve this product for years to come.

Last edited:
You might be able to reset them in DJI Go 4, by doing a reboot.

I had set the c1 and c2 to different fucntions in litchi, when I went to use DJI Go 4 they were still set as originally and I could change them, they were not undefined
I've been playing with RaceRender for the last couple of days (love it), but I finally got back to the C1/C2 problem. I uninstalled GO 4 and installed 4.2.4 from the Moverio Store. I was able to set C1 and C2 the way I want them, identical to what I have in Litchi. Hoping to fly today. I have a short, low-altitude Litchi mission to try that I planned on my MacBook.

Reactions: EpsonMoverio
I also order the Ace 2.0 enclosure and the Solitaire Ace sun shield so that I can have the best of both worlds (home use and flying).
I think you will really like the Solitaire Ace. I leave my Moverio in this enclosure all the time. It turns the glasses into true goggles. The headband and foam face pad is way more comfortable than the nose piece and temple arms. The magnetic mount shields are very easy to snap on and off. I generally use the blackout shield for all Mavic flying and movie watching now.

Well I'm planning on getting the mavic holder and maybe the Solitaire Ace 2.0 if I decide to keep them. Have you any experience with the Ace?
I have the Ace Solitaire. It's a bear to put on the glasses...you have to compress the foam ahead of time and then slowly work the pieces together. Patience patience patience. I don't know why they couldn't make the tolerances a little more relaxed. For this reason, it's not a solution you're going to be able to put on and take off all the time. No worries for me though, as I like the isolation with the goggles a lot and just leave the enclosures on all the time.

Problems with the enclosure though:
  1. You can't use the BT-300 prescription inserts with the enclosure...there just isn't enough room between the glasses and the back of the enclosure. It's also not very comfortable to wear reading glasses behind the BT-300 either, but it's possible and I do it.
  2. The sun shield is magnetized on the outside of the enclosure...so the sun shields that came with the BT-300 cannot be used with the Solitaire (they also won't fit inside the enclosure). You can purchase (and I did) a magnetic shade made specifically for the solitaire. Rochester accidentally sent me the wrong shades (they sent clip ons for the BT-300, not the solitaire) but they were terrific about sending the right glasses quickly.
I find the enclosure extremely comfortable and the experience to be far better than the glasses alone.

I also picked up an inexpensive OTG cable and sideloaded "OTG Player" - and now can play movies that I have on large USB drives in full immersion with the black-out shade on. Really sweet.

Problems with the enclosure though:
  1. You can't use the BT-300 prescription inserts with the enclosure...there just isn't enough room between the glasses and the back of the enclosure.

I received my Rochester Solitaire Ace 2.0 yesterday and picked up the BT-300 prescription insert from my eye doctor (perfect timing :D) and I had absolutely no issue with them fitting the Ace 2.0 enclosure. I was a bit worried after reading your post but yeah mine fit without issue. I guess YMMV.

Had a chance to fly today before work and BT-300 are definitely better with the Ace. While I absolutely love the fully immersive experience for home use, I still prefer to fly with the Ace polarized sun shield and keeping my LOS when needed (even those they are wayyyy to expensive at 50 bucks).

I received my Rochester Solitaire Ace 2.0 yesterday and picked up the BT-300 prescription insert from my eye doctor (perfect timing :D) and I had absolutely no issue with them fitting the Ace 2.0 enclosure. I was a bit worried after reading your post but yeah mine fit without issue. I guess YMMV.

Had a chance to fly today before work and BT-300 are definitely better with the Ace. While I absolutely love the fully immersive experience for home use, I still prefer to fly with the Ace polarized sun shield and keeping my LOS when needed (even those they are wayyyy to expensive at 50 bucks).
Did you find it difficult to get the enclosure on at all? I wonder if mine were somehow different.

I'm going to try again with the glasses insert, because trying to wear the goggles over my reading glasses is an awful user experience.

Did you find it difficult to get the enclosure on at all? I wonder if mine were somehow different.

I'm going to try again with the glasses insert, because trying to wear the goggles over my reading glasses is an awful user experience.

I think maybe you're putting it on wrong, if you look at the insert very closely, there is a small lip on the notch that inserts just under the glasses and that lip connects just under the bridge of the glasses. Then you'll need your nose pin that came with the BT300s and just snap that into place (goes through the insert) onto the glasses. You don't need to take everything apart to do this, just take off the foam and follow the steps above, then just put the foam back on and underneath the nose piece.

Hope this helps!

It looks kinda silly but I still find it very comfortable even with the nose piece installed. It doesn't actually sit on your nose in the enclosure, its just there to hold the insert in place and I still get a snug fit. Again you wont feel the nose piece at all. My only complaint is with the foam. White?!?!? Why couldn't they make it black or dark grey? Anything but white! :confused:

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20180210_190950.jpg
    20180210_190950.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 46
  • 20180210_191204.jpg
    20180210_191204.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I think maybe you're putting it on wrong, if you look at the insert very closely, there is a small lip on the notch that inserts just under the glasses and that lip connects just under the bridge of the glasses. Then you'll need your nose pin that came with the BT300s and just snap that into place (goes through the insert) onto the glasses. You don't need to take everything apart to do this, just take off the foam and follow the steps above, then just put the foam back on and underneath the nose piece.

Hope this helps!

It looks kinda silly but I still find it very comfortable even with the nose piece installed. It doesn't actually sit on your nose in the enclosure, its just there to hold the insert in place and I still get a snug fit. Again you wont feel the nose piece at all. My only complaint is with the foam. White?!?!? Why couldn't they make it black or dark grey? Anything but white! :confused:

Cheers!

Just wait till someone with foundation tries it on, that white foam will be discoloured badly

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
Ahhh...I would not have thought about the nose piece! I removed it as per the instructions when I mounted the glasses. I will have to try it again. Brilliant!
Thanks

Words can't describe how disappointed I am with the BT-300 after waiting all week for mine. I thought this would be the answer to my outdoor screen-viewing problems. And when I opened the box, there was even a free mount for the Mavic!
Today was too windy to fly, but now I'm not sure I'll even try it. Just setting this thing up has me so bleeping mad, squinting at the phone doesn't seem so bad.
Based on comments I had read, I knew the trackpad wouldn't be great, but I thought I would be able to put up with it. After all, this is not going to be my go-to word processor. But it seems like every time I touch it, I accidentally select something. Is there a setting to disable tap-to-select, so you have to press the Enter key instead? That would make the trackpad bearable, but if it's there, I can't find it.
I looked up how to quickly adjust screen brightness, but you have to toggle past the 2D/3D thing every time to get to it. Then the slider disappears before you can adjust it. So you toggle through to it again. And again. Annoy user, rinse, repeat.
The cross-key hardly works at all. I've tried every way I can think of to tap it, but most of the time it simply doesn't respond. The manual says it "will react to the lightest of touches." Baloney. I've tried light, heavy, short, long, everything. Most of the time nothing happens. The controls on this thing are absolutely maddening.
When the Epson logo appeared the first time I powered up, it was a double image. Same thing with the "Moverio" that followed it. What the heck? Thought it was just me, but my wife sees a double image too. Once I get past the startup, the image seems normal. I suspect this is just a perception thing and it takes a minute for my eyes to adjust and focus properly, but not a good first impression.
Could they have put the USB connection in a worse place? With the included straight cable, it's precisely in the way for my right hand. So much that I can hardly get my thumb on the stick. From reading comments and looking at pictures I knew I'd want a shorter cable with a 90-degree connector for this, but shouldn't something be included that is somewhat usable?
To top off the setup experience, when I tried to log in to Go 4 with my email and password, it told me to enter a mainland China phone number so it could send me a confirmation code. After I quit the app and re-launched it, the demand didn't reappear. Of course that one's not Epson's fault.
Outside, with the brightness all the way up, I cannot see much on the Go 4 screen against bright gray clouds. Looks like I'd have to be constantly searching for a dark background. Maybe that's where they got the name "Moverio": Ya got to moverie yo head a lot if you want to see anything.
I really wanted to like this thing.
So, would you say that the Moverio being a Huge letdown was a bit premature? How has your experience evolved? Enjoying them a little more now?

Reactions: RolandW
So, would you say that the Moverio being a Huge letdown was a bit premature? How has your experience evolved? Enjoying them a little more now?
Yes, as I mentioned in a subsequent post, it helps a lot if I simply get into an FPV frame of mind before I start. I just look over the glasses (with dark sunshades in place) while taking off and under them when landing. Once I'm sure I have enough altitude to clear nearby obstacles I fly FPV, and glance at the RC readout now and then.
I still have to say, however, that there is much room for improvement in the hardware. The processor seems sluggish, and the trackpad is no less maddening than it was the first time I used it. Yesterday when I was flying a Litchi mission, I accidentally added a waypoint when I was trying to zoom in on the map with a two-finger pinch. This resulted in a minor fly-away that did no harm. The trackpad is super-sensitive, and it wants to interpret anything I do with two fingers as a tap. I use a Bluetooth mouse when I'm in the house, but it seems to interfere while flying, so I keep Bluetooth off out in the field.
I added a binder clip to secure the cable to my collar, with the Moverio clip serving only as a stop to keep the cable from sliding down through the binder clip. The spring on that clip is not even close to strong enough to hold it in place; it just falls off.
I put on my calendar that day after tomorrow is the last day I can return the Moverio to the seller for a refund, but I'm planning on keeping it. It's a fabulous way to fly for someone who has trouble seeing a phone screen outdoors; it's just a shame that there are some super-annoying shortcomings in the hardware.
Speaking of annoying, is there a way to get rid of empty Home screens? There are several of them, and I'm having to constantly scroll left to get to the real one, which contains only a half-dozen app icons. I've found several Android solutions online, but none works with Moverio.
Thank you very much for responding to my gripes, and I do apologize for being so harsh in my initial assessment. I would edit the OP with an update, but it won't let me. I trust that readers will venture far enough into the thread to get the whole story.
Edit: The Edit button has reappeared on my OP, so I did add a note to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: mreloc
I do agree with track-pad being far to sensitive - being 1/2 blind when donning the ACE does not help. I think I'm on 2 good clicks to 1 by mistake. If I could get that down to 10:1 I would be happy.

My wishlist
1. Very adjustable click pressure setting for track-pad
2. Single button "close all running programs" - (Ready for Flying App)
3. Mount that moves track-pad up so track-pad is closer to thumbs when flying (I got the brand new Epson Mount and it is good but could be better)
4. Faster processor or optimise the base code. It does feel very sluggish. I would not mind giving up 1/2 battery life for more speed.
5. Even brighter display. I flew in Spain with lots of sun and even with ACE Dark sun-glasses it is still hard to see the image and image looks very washed out. I think I'll try single eye block out and see what happens.
6. Sleep function - better sleep function. If I do not shut it down - battery drains completely in about 8-12 hours sleep.

I do agree with track-pad being far to sensitive - being 1/2 blind when donning the ACE does not help. I think I'm on 2 good clicks to 1 by mistake. If I could get that down to 10:1 I would be happy.

My wishlist
3. Mount that moves track-pad up so track-pad is closer to thumbs when flying (I got the brand new Epson Mount and it is good but could be better)
4. Faster processor or optimise the base code. It does feel very sluggish. I would not mind giving up 1/2 battery life for more speed.
5. Even brighter display. I flew in Spain with lots of sun and even with ACE Dark sun-glasses it is still hard to see the image and image looks very washed out. I think I'll try single eye block out and see what happens.
6. Sleep function - better sleep function. If I do not shut it down - battery drains completely in about 8-12 hours sleep.
Good list. One way to improve the trackpad tremendously would be to have the option to disable tap-to-click the way I can on my MacBook's trackpad. Disabling it eliminates unintended taps completely because you have to press down on the trackpad until you hear and feel it move, like an actual physical button. A very simple idea, but implementing it would of course require new – and presumably more expensive – trackpad hardware. I would also like to be able to reverse the scroll direction of the trackpad. In my Mac preferences, I have "Scroll direction: Natural" unchecked, which reverses scroll direction so down scrolls the text up, both with the trackpad and mouse wheel (same effect as dragging the vertical scroll bar). This feels more natural to me for a trackpad, which is different than a phone or tablet screen. There, the "natural" direction makes more sense because your perception is different with your fingers actually on the image you're moving. When I scroll the Moverio I always go the wrong direction.
I would like an even brighter screen too. I've seen some comments that the screen can be too bright against the sky, but to me the full-bright screen is not too much even indoors. I use the dark sunshades all the time outside too. One trick I've seen is to cut the outsides off of the sunshade lenses so they only cover the part where the display image is, and you have an un-darkened view of the real world on the right and left. I might try taping on some black cardboard cut to that shape so the background for the display is completely opaque. I don't try to see the aircraft through the sunshades anyway, so it might as well be completely blacked out.

My wishlist

I may have solution on #3.

Attachments

• 20180125_073952 (1).jpg
    20180125_073952 (1).jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • 20180125_073941.jpg
    20180125_073941.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 40
  • 20180125_073928.jpg
    20180125_073928.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39

My wishlist

This is an OLED display, and as it is now, there is a risk of burn-in if you keep static images on while brightness settings are high. Any brighter will only increase that risk.

I fly in Los Angeles with a more southern latitude than Spain and I am still able to manage the lighter shade with moderate to full brightness settings... my eyes are 58 years old and my dependence on brighter light is high in general than when I was younger.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut