DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moverio a huge letdown so far

RolandW

Reactions
Edit: I've warmed up to Moverio a lot since I first posted this, so please skim the thread for my later comments, as well as many positive posts by other users. Epson did contact me, and they have been very helpful. These glasses take a lot of getting used to, but I think I'll be keeping them. I'm willing to live with the trackpad and a few other issues because for someone like me who can't see a thing on a phone screen outdoors, Moverio is a very good solution.

Words can't describe how disappointed I am with the BT-300 after waiting all week for mine. I thought this would be the answer to my outdoor screen-viewing problems. And when I opened the box, there was even a free mount for the Mavic!
Today was too windy to fly, but now I'm not sure I'll even try it. Just setting this thing up has me so bleeping mad, squinting at the phone doesn't seem so bad.
Based on comments I had read, I knew the trackpad wouldn't be great, but I thought I would be able to put up with it. After all, this is not going to be my go-to word processor. But it seems like every time I touch it, I accidentally select something. Is there a setting to disable tap-to-select, so you have to press the Enter key instead? That would make the trackpad bearable, but if it's there, I can't find it.
I looked up how to quickly adjust screen brightness, but you have to toggle past the 2D/3D thing every time to get to it. Then the slider disappears before you can adjust it. So you toggle through to it again. And again. Annoy user, rinse, repeat.
The cross-key hardly works at all. I've tried every way I can think of to tap it, but most of the time it simply doesn't respond. The manual says it "will react to the lightest of touches." Baloney. I've tried light, heavy, short, long, everything. Most of the time nothing happens. The controls on this thing are absolutely maddening.
When the Epson logo appeared the first time I powered up, it was a double image. Same thing with the "Moverio" that followed it. What the heck? Thought it was just me, but my wife sees a double image too. Once I get past the startup, the image seems normal. I suspect this is just a perception thing and it takes a minute for my eyes to adjust and focus properly, but not a good first impression.
Could they have put the USB connection in a worse place? With the included straight cable, it's precisely in the way for my right hand. So much that I can hardly get my thumb on the stick. From reading comments and looking at pictures I knew I'd want a shorter cable with a 90-degree connector for this, but shouldn't something be included that is somewhat usable?
To top off the setup experience, when I tried to log in to Go 4 with my email and password, it told me to enter a mainland China phone number so it could send me a confirmation code. After I quit the app and re-launched it, the demand didn't reappear. Of course that one's not Epson's fault.
Outside, with the brightness all the way up, I cannot see much on the Go 4 screen against bright gray clouds. Looks like I'd have to be constantly searching for a dark background. Maybe that's where they got the name "Moverio": Ya got to moverie yo head a lot if you want to see anything.
I really wanted to like this thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Omega Flight
I know what your talking about. I felt the same as you for the first few days I used the bt-300. But be patient my friend. It comes together after you figure out what to touch and when. There is a learning curve just like all new technology. Been using mine for 3 weeks and would not go back to an iPad. Just keep working with it ..and good luck

Reactions: beejAMG and RolandW
If you force yourself to use it anyway, Just like an acquired taste, you can eventually adjust to almost anything.
I remember the first taste of beer I ever had, I thought how does dad drink this stuff? But I persisted and powered through the gag reflex. Now I like how beer tastes. Go figure....... :D

Sure we all know how you feel, and all you said those short comings are true. But those little design faults aren’t anything possible to compare to the bug and gap between Epson and DJI. These two companies surely has serious communication problem, and you will find out very soon when start to use DJI GO 4 from Moverio Market. Especially Mavic Air is launched but you can’t fly it with BT300 because DJI GO 4 isn’t the latest.

But I have to agree with GeorgeLL, he is right once you get all bugs sort out and fly into the sky. It will forbid you go back to you phone and iPad control of drone.

Reactions: RolandW and ksmusa
Yeah, just forget the bugs and problems........ LOL!
I'll keep my bugless and problemless ios devices that CAN run the latest software versions and get them first.
The occasional firmware mismatch is usually fixed ASAP.

Yeah, just forget the bugs and problems........ LOL!
I'll keep my bugless and problemless ios devices that CAN run the latest software versions and get them first.
The occasional firmware mismatch is usually fixed ASAP.

Then hope you knew the new IOS 11.2.5 cause connection problem with DJI GO 4.2.4., which it will screw up the connection with all Phantom and Inspire series.

I have a mavic, Not an issue, also, I bet they have it fixed in a day. How are the bugs getting addressed with the space goggles?

Again yes or no. If you have a right pair of sun lens for BT300, it will work better than CS with forget all those bugs and problem caused by BT300.
I do need to try the sun lenses. With one of those installed, will the screen image be brighter relative to the sky? I haven't tried the earbuds either. I assume that without those I won't hear audible messages such as "The home point has been updated; please check it on the map"?

Reactions: Omega Flight
You will get used to it in time. The double vision thing took me a while to work out. I still get it especially on the sides. So when I am checking the RTH after flying indoors I can hardly see if its hover or RTH. What you need to do is move the glasses from side to side across the bridge of your nose and it clears up. There is a lot of leeway in the movement you can make.
I understand all your frustrations but give it a few weeks and you will not want to use a phone/tablet again.
Yesterday on a very bright day I could not see a **** thing on a phone. When I stuck the glasses on such a ******* relief. I could see everything as clear as.

Reactions: RolandW
You will get used to it in time. The double vision thing took me a while to work out. I still get it especially on the sides. So when I am checking the RTH after flying indoors I can hardly see if its hover or RTH. What you need to do is move the glasses from side to side across the bridge of your nose and it clears up. There is a lot of leeway in the movement you can make.
I understand all your frustrations but give it a few weeks and you will not want to use a phone/tablet again.
Yesterday on a very bright day I could not see a **** thing on a phone. When I stuck the glasses on such a ******* relief. I could see everything as clear as.
Thanks John. I'm planning to fly it this morning. Am I correct in assuming I need the earbuds to hear audible messages from GO 4?

I do need to try the sun lenses. With one of those installed, will the screen image be brighter relative to the sky? I haven't tried the earbuds either. I assume that without those I won't hear audible messages such as "The home point has been updated; please check it on the map"?

I actually prefer the Moverio's over any other device

You can also get mirror lenses from Rochester Optical and I use bluetooth wireless ear buds with mine.

Epson Moverio » Rochester Optical

Hey Roland- The sunshades DO help with seeing the information on the screen. I have about all of the sun shades including the Ace enclosure. I've never used it.. and I prefer the light sunshade that is packaged with the Moverio even over the Rochester one. I'd recommend starting with the lightest version and then work up through the darker ones until you find a balance between being able to see the screen information well while still being able to see the aircraft.

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions. I flew a little this morning with the Moverio in sunshine. Not Australia-bright, but pretty bright. Without sun lenses I could barely see the display at all. No surprise there. The light shades had little effect, and the dark ones were like a welding helmet. I had to look over them to see anything in the real world. No matter which way I turned my head or positioned the glasses, there was light reflecting and glaring. Lots of surfaces on the glasses for it to bounce off of. The farthest I flew was maybe 200 feet out. It just didn't feel safe.
Of course the usability of this device is very subjective and dependent on variations in users' eyesight, so I believe it when somebody says the display is fabulous for them. But what continues to astound me is how annoying and half-baked the hardware is. I covered the basic controls in the OP, but this morning I noticed a few more things. The clip that's supposed to hold the cable to your clothing is so weak that there's no way it will stay on, even when I'm just standing there. This is just a matter of choosing the proper spring to use, so why isn't it right? And no matter what size foam tips I use, the earbuds fall out immediately. I plugged in my Apple ones instead.
When I look at the Moverio/RC all cabled up on the kitchen table, what strikes me most is what a cumbersome contraption it is. Right now the only good thing I can think of to say about it is that GO 4 did run flawlessly on it. Maybe I should give it more time, but I'm leaning more toward giving up and getting a refund while I can.
I haven't cussed this much since I stopped using Windows.

Thanks everybody for the great suggestions. I flew a little this morning with the Moverio in sunshine. Not Australia-bright, but pretty bright. Without sun lenses I could barely see the display at all. No surprise there. The light shades had little effect, and the dark ones were like a welding helmet. I had to look over them to see anything in the real world. No matter which way I turned my head or positioned the glasses, there was light reflecting and glaring. Lots of surfaces on the glasses for it to bounce off of. The farthest I flew was maybe 200 feet out. It just didn't feel safe.
Of course the usability of this device is very subjective and dependent on variations in users' eyesight, so I believe it when somebody says the display is fabulous for them. But what continues to astound me is how annoying and half-baked the hardware is. I covered the basic controls in the OP, but this morning I noticed a few more things. The clip that's supposed to hold the cable to your clothing is so weak that there's no way it will stay on, even when I'm just standing there. This is just a matter of choosing the proper spring to use, so why isn't it right? And no matter what size foam tips I use, the earbuds fall out immediately. I plugged in my Apple ones instead.
When I look at the Moverio/RC all cabled up on the kitchen table, what strikes me most is what a cumbersome contraption it is. Right now the only good thing I can think of to say about it is that GO 4 did run flawlessly on it. Maybe I should give it more time, but I'm leaning more toward giving up and getting a refund while I can.
I haven't cussed this much since I stopped using Windows.

Man, I literally laughed out loud about the windows comment!!! I looked at the glasses vs the Crystalsky and choose the CS.

Man, I literally laughed out loud about the windows comment!!! I looked at the glasses vs the Crystalsky and choose the CS.
Yeah, I'm thinking CS is where I'll eventually end up if I stay with this hobby. I kept going back and forth, and decided to try the glasses first. Plus, they're a lot cheaper than the Ultra-bright, especially now with $100 off. Think I would be able to read the UB while wearing sunglasses? Long ago I had RK surgery (non-laser forerunner to Lasik) to correct my nearsightedness, and bright sun bothers me more than most folks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan