DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP2 Dropped from the sky and DJI is rejecting claim.... HELP NEEDED

orion0211

Reactions
Ok, So i was flying a routine flight near Thor's Well in Oregon. Prior to the flight I checked the battery, props, and calibrated the drone to the new location.

Upon lift off I was standing in front of the drone a few feet away and the drone indicated a front obstacle (me). This isnt really important other than indicating that the front obstacle avoidance system was turned on and working.

I flew around a bunch and got some shots, then when setting up to do a fly by the drone was positioned south of my subject and was hovering. 2 seconds after there was an error " Gimbal roll reached movement limit" then 2 seconds later there was another error "IMU redundancy switch" and then " Attitude is too large., Forwardobstacle sensing is unavailable"

The drone then spun out of control and was unresponsive to the RC, it was recovered on the cliff side next to the water and had waves rushing onto it when it was grounded.

The first DJI tech i spoke with (Ken) stated this:
Incident date: 2019 07 31 FLY25
1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode, and responded to the pilot’s command well;
2. At flight Time T=02:18 seconds, Relative Height H=-2 meters, Distance to home D=32 meters, the aircraft flew forward as per RC input and crashed with obstacles;
3. Incident coordinates: 44.2782351 -124.1137228

Which all of his analysis was incorrect

1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode, and responded to the pilot’s command well - The drone worked under GPS mode till minute 9.21.1, as per the flight record shows, afterwards it switched to ATTI.
2. At flight Time T=02:18 seconds, Relative Height H=-2 meters, Distance to home D=32 meters, the aircraft flew forward as per RC input and crashed with obstacles; -No, at 2.18 the drone was at height of 18.1 meters, distance of 77.9 meters with no input in the RC
3. Incident coordinates: 44.2782351 -124.1137228, no, drone had crashed at following coordinates:44.27822713 -124.11364651

I then requested the case be forwarded to a supervisor as this tech obviously was basing his decision on incorrect information.

Meet Francis, he stated:
We apologize for the inconvenience. We've tried to call you unfortunately, we're routed to your Voice Mail. Our Data Analysis is just relying on the flight data that you've submitted. Some of the information like the -2 meters is not accurate because if the IMU was interrupted, then the telemetry will provide inaccurate data but it doesn't affect why it really crashed. Our Data Analysis focused on the reason why it crashed because you've assigned your drone to move forward that caused it to crashed. We've already asked our Team if they can provide discount. If the discount has been approved, you'll be getting a new quotation.

I then received another message from another analysis Lloyd, stating:

We regret to inform you that your request for the warranty replacement on your Mavic 2 Pro has been denied. It was stated that your drone was flying close to the water surface, The drone flew -2.4 meters from his starting point, and happened to be only 3.2 meters away from the water surface on a rough sea area, and the drone immediately got impact warning. A wave most likely crashed on the drone or the drone hit a rock in the area, also the 3.2 meters is inaccurate because the water is transparent. The drone might have been under the water already while the sensor shows 3.2 meter. Please do not fly the drone close to the water surface next time.

I am honestly at my wits end, this drone could not have hit anything as the location does not have anything to hit. If it was below the ground line flying forward then the drone would have been beneath the cliff surface and would have plummeted to the water and been at the bottom of the ocean, if it was hit by a wave, again it would have been in the ocean and unrecoverable... It wasn't and was recovered!!

At the time of the flight the tide wasn't completely covering the island area where the drone crashed.

Anyone have any suggestions on how i can get this drone repaired without having to pay for a new one??

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-07-31_15-55-40 (1).csv.txt
    2.3 MB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 9.00.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 9.00.20 AM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 9.03.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 9.03.34 AM.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 99
Ok, So i was flying a routine flight near Thor's Well in Oregon. Prior to the flight I checked the battery, props, and calibrated the drone to the new location.

Upon lift off I was standing in front of the drone a few feet away and the drone indicated a front obstacle (me). This isnt really important other than indicating that the front obstacle avoidance system was turned on and working.

I flew around a bunch and got some shots, then when setting up to do a fly by the drone was positioned south of my subject and was hovering. 2 seconds after there was an error " Gimbal roll reached movement limit" then 2 seconds later there was another error "IMU redundancy switch" and then " Attitude is too large., Forwardobstacle sensing is unavailable"

The drone then spun out of control and was unresponsive to the RC, it was recovered on the cliff side next to the water and had waves rushing onto it when it was grounded.

1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode, and responded to the pilot’s command well;
2. At flight Time T=02:18 seconds, Relative Height H=-2 meters, Distance to home D=32 meters, the aircraft flew forward as per RC input and crashed with obstacles;

1. The aircraft worked under GPS mode, and responded to the pilot’s command well - The drone worked under GPS mode till minute 9.21.1, as per the flight record shows, afterwards it switched to ATTI.
2. At flight Time T=02:18 seconds, Relative Height H=-2 meters, Distance to home D=32 meters, the aircraft flew forward as per RC input and crashed with obstacles; -No, at 2.18 the drone was at height of 18.1 meters, distance of 77.9 meters with no input in the RC
3. Incident coordinates: 44.2782351 -124.1137228, no, drone had crashed at following coordinates:44.27822713 -124.11364651

I then requested the case be forwarded to a supervisor as this tech obviously was basing his decision on incorrect information.

Meet Francis, he stated:
We apologize for the inconvenience. We've tried to call you unfortunately, we're routed to your Voice Mail. Our Data Analysis is just relying on the flight data that you've submitted. Some of the information like the -2 meters is not accurate because if the IMU was interrupted, then the telemetry will provide inaccurate data but it doesn't affect why it really crashed. Our Data Analysis focused on the reason why it crashed because you've assigned your drone to move forward that caused it to crashed. We've already asked our Team if they can provide discount. If the discount has been approved, you'll be getting a new quotation.

We regret to inform you that your request for the warranty replacement on your Mavic 2 Pro has been denied. It was stated that your drone was flying close to the water surface, The drone flew -2.4 meters from his starting point, and happened to be only 3.2 meters away from the water surface on a rough sea area, and the drone immediately got impact warning. A wave most likely crashed on the drone or the drone hit a rock in the area, also the 3.2 meters is inaccurate because the water is transparent. The drone might have been under the water already while the sensor shows 3.2 meter. Please do not fly the drone close to the water surface next time.

I am honestly at my wits end, this drone could not have hit anything as the location does not have anything to hit. If it was below the ground line flying forward then the drone would have been beneath the cliff surface and would have plummeted to the water and been at the bottom of the ocean, if it was hit by a wave, again it would have been in the ocean and unrecoverable... It wasn't and was recovered!!

At the time of the flight the tide wasn't completely covering the island area where the drone crashed.

Anyone have any suggestions on how i can get this drone repaired without having to pay for a new one??

Can you post the original txt file? That converted csv is missing a lot of important information.

thank you!! Hoping someone can help. Thing was only 4 months old and only had 17 flights on it
Here's a preliminary assessment without the benefit of the actual txt file:
The drone was hovering and I see the drone pitch backwards slightly at 9:16.8 and a second later at 9:17.8 things come apart badly.
The drone pitches forward nearly 90 degrees and rolls hard as it starts to lose height rapidly.
When the trouble began the VPS was indicating it was 10.5 feet above something.
The error messages are probably related to the drone tumbling rather than indicating the cause of the problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: orion0211

Meet Francis, he stated:

I am not surprised at all with the support you got from DJI they have a lot to learn about customer service.

Reactions: orion0211
I think this is what you mean by Txt file, let me know if i am wrong

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-07-31_15-55-40.txt
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
I think this is what you mean by Txt file, let me know if i am wrong

Yes - that's the correct file. Unfortunately it looks like the DJI analysis was correct. It switched to ATTI at 561.1 seconds, after it crashed into something at 557.8 seconds. It's impossible to tell from the data what it hit, but it only fell around 3 meters after impact.

Attitude.png

Reactions: carlos31820
Unless it’s an obvious malfunction, I don’t think DJI would cover it. Even if a bird attacked it, and it’s totally not your fault, it won’t be covered by DJI. Sorry it happened.

Meet Francis, he stated:

question is what to do now....
does she power up? if yes we can prob get her working again. You can submit a free ticket here were you get a free diagnostic and inspection. We will provide an accurate quote on the repair. If you decide not to fix we send back your drone, oh and as always free shipping BOTH ways even if you decline the repair. At this point you have nothing to loose being is not covered by dji
Sorry for the mishap but we can either fix it or get u a good price on a used like new bird if its beyond economical repair (im hoping we can fix)

Reactions: SoCalSteve
What caused the switch to ATTI?

Paul C

As someone who is about to it a M2P, I 5hough the whole point of DJI Care was to cover these kinds of mishaps. Is that not the case? Or was there no DJI Care plan when the incident happened? Sorry newb questions...

DJI care would have covered it if the drone was physically available to return. Which I believe it was.

Paul C

What caused the switch to ATTI?
Being rolled over sideways and tipped forwards so that the antenna lost its skyview.
As someone who is about to it a M2P, I 5hough the whole point of DJI Care was to cover these kinds of mishaps. Is that not the case? Or was there no DJI Care plan when the incident happened?
DJI Care Refresh is an insurance option available at extra cost.
In this incident DJI was not offering a free warranty replacement, which is a different thing.

Reactions: Paul2660
Cost of DJI Care Refresh insurance covering pilot error is $139 on M2P. First claim costs $119, assuming the aircraft can be recovered. Second claim, should there be one, within the 12 months of the policy, is $139. You also still have 12 months of free included manufacturer's warranty on the aircraft, if no pilot error is involved. If you fly a lot, the $139 is well worth it, and hope you never need it. Camera replacement alone is $599. Just accidentally dropping the aircraft on the ground or knocking it off a table onto a concrete floor could require camera replacement. Most common repair on M2P is camera replacement, as the camera is heavy enough to rip itself off the gimbal and tear the fine wiring. Ask me how I know!

As someone who is about to it a M2P, I 5hough the whole point of DJI Care was to cover these kinds of mishaps. Is that not the case? Or was there no DJI Care plan when the incident happened? Sorry newb questions...
Yes, but that supposes the owner bought that plan, obviously the OP hasn't or we would be having another discussion.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo