DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 MT Manaia-New Zealand

Suren

Reactions
I battled the uphills on my first ever in my life Hike to get this video. The winds were around 55kmh when I had checked UAV and I had a real problem trying to land the drone in the heavy winds on a rock but the drone flew rock solid.

Mount Manaia has explosive origins. It is a remnant of a large stratovolcano which was likely to have been 1000m tall – twice the size Manaia is today – and part of a cluster of active volcanoes that dominated the top of the North Island millions of years ago. Manaia today is a result of its erosion over these millions of years, sculpted by flowing streams and changing coastline.

The folklore around the mount goes back Hundreds of years and is as below:
Māori history takes the mountain’s tallest craggy peak to represent Manaia, an ancestor and connector of Northland tribes, while the smaller peaks are his wife and children. Some traditions say that Manaia’s wife was unfaithful with Paeko, a servant. As a result, Manaia and Paeko exchanged incantations, during which Manaia and his family were turned to stone

Just before the pandemic, I was in NZ, Dec 2019.

One of the places I flew was over Akaroa. Didn't have to hike up, drove up some narrow hill roads.

Got some good shots and footage and then on the way back to Christchurch where I was staying, I went up to the area north of the bay or caldera, got great views there but it became very windy.

In fact, I barely got my Mavic 2 Pro back, had to throttle it as it flew upwind towards the home point.

But great views.

I had the privilege of living in Christchurch from 1975-1978 while serving in the U.S. Navy. I refuse to leave this earth until I visit it again. What an elegant country.

Just before the pandemic, I was in NZ, Dec 2019.

One of the places I flew was over Akaroa. Didn't have to hike up, drove up some narrow hill roads.

Got some good shots and footage and then on the way back to Christchurch where I was staying, I went up to the area north of the bay or caldera, got great views there but it became very windy.

In fact, I barely got my Mavic 2 Pro back, had to throttle it as it flew upwind towards the home point.

But great views.
NZ has beautiful views and perfect for drone videos but up those mountain peaks the winds are unforgiving

I had the privilege of living in Christchurch from 1975-1978 while serving in the U.S. Navy. I refuse to leave this earth until I visit it again. What an elegant country.
Must come up North where the water is much warmer and miles of clear water and white sands.

I battled the uphills on my first ever in my life Hike to get this video. The winds were around 55kmh when I had checked UAV and I had a real problem trying to land the drone in the heavy winds on a rock but the drone flew rock solid.

Mount Manaia has explosive origins. It is a remnant of a large stratovolcano which was likely to have been 1000m tall – twice the size Manaia is today – and part of a cluster of active volcanoes that dominated the top of the North Island millions of years ago. Manaia today is a result of its erosion over these millions of years, sculpted by flowing streams and changing coastline.

The folklore around the mount goes back Hundreds of years and is as below:
Māori history takes the mountain’s tallest craggy peak to represent Manaia, an ancestor and connector of Northland tribes, while the smaller peaks are his wife and children. Some traditions say that Manaia’s wife was unfaithful with Paeko, a servant. As a result, Manaia and Paeko exchanged incantations, during which Manaia and his family were turned to stone
Nice video. A little too long but I enjoyed it! Many, many years ago we almost moved to Christchurch from the US. It didn’t quite pan out that way though. Always been a fan of NZ and love the All Blacks!

Reactions: Suren
Nice flight! Gorgeous area there. AND very friendly people on the rock!! HAHA

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan