DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My argument in favor of an ATTI mode switch.

Bracofoon

Reactions
First-time poster, so I apologize in advance if I am rehashing old issues, but I believe quite strongly in this one...

From what I have seen on this and other forums, there is enough evidence that a number of fly-aways and crashes could have been avoided if a selectable ATTI mode was possible. And yes, I know a lot of these issues were caused by user error, pilots not reading the manual, trying risky maneuvers and generally using the Mavic Pro outside its intended parameters. No argument there...

I also know that DJI are in some way trying to do the right thing by preventing us from operating in no-fly zones. The implementation might be poor, and I get that people don't like to be nannied - the reality is that the hobby is getting a bad name due to (often incorrectly reported) operators who create or allow dangerous situations. So I believe the GPS-based monitoring of NFZ's is probably here to stay, and possibly (obviously there are exceptions, and I would like to consider myself and every other responsible Mavic Pro owner as exceptions), just possibly even a good thing.

Primarily from a safety point of view, but also from the point of view of allowing us to have fun - I think on balance a selectable ATTI mode would be an excellent addition.

Firstly, it should be possible to implement the NFZ criteria in parallel - nobody is saying don't allow the GPS to monitor the aircraft position relative to a NFZ. This could be done in two ways - make it impossible to launch in ATTI mode, but allow switching after the GPS position has been checked in relation to NFZ's. That way pilots could still be prevented from taking off in a NFZ. Then, in flight - continue to allow the craft to monitor the GPS position and cancel ATTI mode when approaching a NFZ, going back to GPS mode and preventing the aircraft from entering a NFZ. As a secondary benefit, pressing RTH could probably be set to disengage ATTI mode and revert to GPS mode - after all, RTH (not "Hover in place" or "Land at present location") must surely rely on GPS mode?

Secondly, if DJI really wanted to they could make the provision of a selectable ATTI mode contingent upon the acceptance of a risk waiver in the form of additional terms and conditions (like those lucky folk who take their cars to the Nurburgring on the weekend).

I guess my point is, apart from NFZ restrictions - which seem form what I read to be a bit hit-and-miss anyway - having ATTI mode selectable has very little in the way of a downside. And I think the NFZ issues can be taken care of. Flying in GPS mode is not going to stop me from flying over cars, or crowds of people, or crashing into people on the beach. Common sense and my love of the hobby will prevent me from being in those situations, and ATTI mode just might help me when GPS reception fails.

I love my Mavic Pro, but I am constantly reminded of the number of people who have fly-ways and crashes due to the fact that there is no real manual override.

I think that makes for a less-than-perfect flying experience.

Last edited:
Well I am a first time poster as well.

We in South Africa are graced with the most stringent Radio Pilot Licence legislation in the world. Let's skip the medical, theory examination, aviation radio licence, filing of flight plans, registration of drone bla bla to the eventual practical examination. This all at a cost similar to the price of a Mavic. The practical got to be done in ATTI mode.

Due to the fact that the Mavic can't be selected manually one has to book flying time on the accredited school's drone, once again at top rates, 20 hours equals another Mavic, in order to be proficient with that for exam purposes.

Bottom line how do I put the Mavic in atti mode other than wrapping it in foil???

The irony is that at my rural location the magnetic interference due to iron ore deposits in the ground is so high that I fly in atti mode up to a altitude above ground level of 60 feet which is the maximum due to controlled air space.

Please help me somebody.

There's a very big choir behind this one. I was ambivalent until my MP inexplicably went into ATTI mode and while I was used to flying in ATTI with other quads, it was such a shock and it was so windy that I was very lucky I didn't damage it when i forced it down. I came away convinced that if ATTI had been an option that I'd have at least been comfortable with it on the MP and been able to take it more in stride.

I believe the UK has similar requirements to South Africa in being able to select ATTI and demonstrate competency with it when doing the practical test for commercial qualification (someone from there will no doubt confirm/refute).

From what I have seen on this and other forums, there is enough evidence that a number of fly-aways and crashes could have been avoided if a selectable ATTI mode was possible. And yes, I know a lot of these issues were caused by user error, pilots not reading the manual, trying risky maneuvers and generally using the Mavic Pro outside its intended parameters. No argument there...

All I ever read on this subject is a load of waffle. I still don't see how ATTI mode helps anyone who is already clueless.

All I ever read on this subject is a load of waffle. I still don't see how ATTI mode helps anyone who is already clueless.

Well, I was warned (dirkclod, I should have listened to you)...

BD6, you are of course 100% correct - the clueless are beyond help.

I, on the other hand, still feel like it just might work for me.

Reactions: dirkclod
Well, I was warned (dirkclod, I should have listened to you)...

BD6, you are of course 100% correct - the clueless are beyond help.

I, on the other hand, still feel like it just might work for me.

Under what circumstances?

As I understand it, the Mavic should automatically switch to ATTI mode when there is an issue with GPS or compass. The problem is that the Mavic does not always know there is a problem.
Flying in ATTI mode is fun.
I hear there is a hack that will allow it.

Right, why do Mavics fly away and how does ATTI mode stop them?

1) When the Mavic works correctly, if GPS/compass/OPTI disturbances cause the navigation system not to be able to function the aircraft should switch to ATTI by itself. Most new flyers have no idea what that is or what it means to the way they should fly, so won't know what to do to bring their aircraft back when it happens unexpectedly at distance. With manually selectable ATTI they get a chance to try and train in advance to know what to expect.

2) There have been numerous documented cases (with clear logs) of the navigation system not being able to fly itself, but not recognising the situation and thus not falling back to ATTI the way it should have. This results in completely uncontrollable flight. Being able to manually select ATTI would let you regain control.

Reactions: PT_Mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31