DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first experience with Neat Video

s4in7

Reactions
Hey all, I've owned a Mavic for a couple weeks and haven't gotten to fly it nearly as much as I'd like...but isn't that always the case?

Anywho this is a quick edit of my flight from yesterday (there's no sound or music).

Here's the details: Shot in Cinema 4K 24fps at ISO100 with an ND8 filter to slow the shutter down a ways, D-Log color and Custom (+1/-1/-1) style.

Then in Premiere I applied The Film Poets' D-Log corrective LUT as an input LUT, and tweaked the tone a bit until the highlights and shadows were comfortably not clipping. Next, I applied a free Mavic LUT I found online in the Creative section and dialed it down to 60% intensity for just a bit of color/style.

Rendered the effects in to out, and then linked the project to After Effects where I ran it through Neat Video using The Film Poets' Mavic De-Flicker & Noise Profile presets (ISO 100). The only setting in Neat I changed was adding Edge Smoothing at 50% High, 0% Mid, and 0% Low.

Finally I sent the linked Premiere project from After Effects to Media Encoder and set output format to H.264 .mp4. Matched source on everything except checking High profile instead of Main, and Max Depth at Level 5.2. Bitrate was set to CBR 120Mbps, I checked Use Max Render Quality, and then hit go!

A couple hours later I had a 1.86GB .mp4 on my desktop that I was happy with.

I definitely will be using Neat Video again and I highly recommend the aforementioned presets from the Poets.

Reactions: NeatVideo
I like neat video too.

But no way would I have used it on footage this bright. Was it really that noisy?

Colours and contrast look good though.

Reactions: s4in7
I like neat video too.

But no way would I have used it on footage this bright. Was it really that noisy?

Colours and contrast look good though.

Thanks! Really appreciate the feedback :)

After work I'll post zoomed & cropped screenshots of before and after Neat, and I think you'll appreciate the difference.

The presets I mentioned are really more for removing the intraframe compression "flicker" and other compression artifacts versus sensor noise. Watch this video to see what I'm talking about if you're unfamiliar

Thanks again and have a great day!

This is my biggest problem with the Mavic...Not sure if something is wrong with it but I find it crazy that I HAVE to purchase a 120 Euro plugin for Final Cut just to be able to use the footage, regardless how good the light is and even at sharpness -1. So far I have only used the demo but it just works mind-blowing good....

Hey all, I've owned a Mavic for a couple weeks and haven't gotten to fly it nearly as much as I'd like...but isn't that always the case?

Anywho this is a quick edit of my flight from yesterday (there's no sound or music).

Here's the details: Shot in Cinema 4K 24fps at ISO100 with an ND8 filter to slow the shutter down a ways, D-Log color and Custom (+1/-1/-1) style.

Then in Premiere I applied The Film Poets' D-Log corrective LUT as an input LUT, and tweaked the tone a bit until the highlights and shadows were comfortably not clipping. Next, I applied a free Mavic LUT I found online in the Creative section and dialed it down to 60% intensity for just a bit of color/style.

Rendered the effects in to out, and then linked the project to After Effects where I ran it through Neat Video using The Film Poets' Mavic De-Flicker & Noise Profile presets (ISO 100). The only setting in Neat I changed was adding Edge Smoothing at 50% High, 0% Mid, and 0% Low.

Finally I sent the linked Premiere project from After Effects to Media Encoder and set output format to H.264 .mp4. Matched source on everything except checking High profile instead of Main, and Max Depth at Level 5.2. Bitrate was set to CBR 120Mbps, I checked Use Max Render Quality, and then hit go!

A couple hours later I had a 1.86GB .mp4 on my desktop that I was happy with.

I definitely will be using Neat Video again and I highly recommend the aforementioned presets from the Poets.

Hey man I just stumbled across this post and wanted to say your footage looks amazing. I too purchased the poets corrective LUT along with their de-flicker. I didn't actually realize that you can apply two LUTS on a clip. I guess the LUT from the poets is what you would call a corrective LUT and then you have your creative LUTS?

Would you also mind explaining how you used the Poets de-flicker in after effects? I just purchased it for $9 and applied it with neat video in premiere pro, but didn't realize I had to pay $100 for neatvideo, which I REALLY do not want to spend as I don't edit often. I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me out. Your footage looks absolutely stunning and I want to make my video look as good as yours.

This is my biggest problem with the Mavic...Not sure if something is wrong with it but I find it crazy that I HAVE to purchase a 120 Euro plugin for Final Cut just to be able to use the footage, regardless how good the light is and even at sharpness -1. So far I have only used the demo but it just works mind-blowing good....
I'm actually quite happy to pay $100 to make my footage look like it was taken on $3K drone

I'm actually quite happy to pay $100 to make my footage look like it was taken on $3K drone
I think that is a bit dramatic. I agree if you use your drone and make videos every week, but I make one every few months and NEAT video is not needed when shooting in 2.7k

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair