DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My mavic 2 Pro malfunctioned and crashed and i have no clue why

scoma

Reactions
Hey guys,
I've been flying drones for over four years now and DJI drones for three years and I've never experienced anything like this. Around 10 minutes into my flight the other day my drone takes off at TopSpeed well and tripod mode towards a bunch of people. I was able to get the drone to gain enough altitude to miss them and it hit a telephone wire landing on top of A restaurant throwing the battery who knows where. Here's a link to the data the DJI go for app recorded I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what went wrong.

I would've shared the app.airdata.com Link but I don't know how and I'm new to this side of things.

thanks again!!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-06-29_[18-37-11].txt
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Hey guys,
I've been flying drones for over four years now and DJI drones for three years and I've never experienced anything like this. Around 10 minutes into my flight the other day my drone takes off at TopSpeed well and tripod mode towards a bunch of people. I was able to get the drone to gain enough altitude to miss them and it hit a telephone wire landing on top of A restaurant throwing the battery who knows where. Here's a link to the data the DJI go for app recorded I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what went wrong.
Here's what that flight data looks like: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

You were flying slowly in Tripod Mode using a lot of full stick joystick input.
At 10:55.6 you gave full left stick forward to climb slowly.
This was followed by full joystick inputs on the left and right stick to send the Mavic climbing and rotating clockwise, while flying backwards and to the left.
In Tripod Mode movement was slow but at 10:58.1 the flight mode was switched to Sport Mode.

It appears that you weren't aware of this because you continued the full stick joystick inputs.
This accounted for the high speed and strange moves.
The Mavic quickly accelerated from 7 mph to 32 mph, while climbing and flying backwards.

Last edited:
Here's what that flight data looks like: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

This was followed by full joystick inputs on the left and right stick to send the Mavic climbing and rotating clockwise, while flying backwards and to the left.
In Tripod Mode movement was slow but at 10:58.1 the flight mode was switched to Sport Mode.

It appears that you weren't aware of this because you continued the full stick joystick inputs.
The Mavic quickly accelerated from 3 mph to 32 mph, while climbing and flying backwards.
;

The Mavic quickly accelerated from 3 mph to 32 mph, while climbing and flying backwards.

Thanks again for taking a look. It just seems fishy because I was in tripod mode while the drone gained a lot of speed (the drones computer didn't register it but if you look at the GPS location of the drone it is very apparent) in an attempt to save it i switched to spot mode but to no avail and it crashed. I think I got it to gain some altitude. Maybe one of my propellers broke off sending the drone really fast toward the wall?

Thanks again for taking a look. It just seems fishy because I was in tripod mode while the drone gained a lot of speed (the drones computer didn't register it but if you look at the GPS location of the drone it is very apparent) in an attempt to save it i switched to spot mode but to no avail and it crashed.
There is a small acceleration in the last second the drone was in Tripod Mode.
From 10:56.9 to 10:57.8 it went from 3.5 mph to 7.3 mph.
Full joystick moves in Sport Mode account for the speed after that.
I think I got it to gain some altitude.
The drone climbed 30 feet while it was in Sport Mode.
Maybe one of my propellers broke off sending the drone really fast toward the wall?
Losing a prop would cause the drone to start spinning and losing height but it kept on course and gained height.
The data ends before the crash and doesn't show any of the usual evidence of an impact.

The Mavic quickly accelerated from 7 mph to 32 mph, while climbing and flying backwards.
If looking at the indicated Yaw movement in the end, starting from 640sec ... that uncommanded rotation suggests that this have another reason than a pilot mistakenly using full stick commands in Sport mode, something else is going on.

1593681549667.png

If we then compare the differences in GPS & IMU velocities from the same time we also see that a big deviation start up in parallel with that uncommanded movement ...

1593681895953.png

Plotting the flight paths from the GPS (Red) & the IMU (Green) shows this ...

1593681980617.png

Would really like to look into the mobile device .DAT log for this flight ... it's the one ending with FLY054.DAT

If looking at the indicated Yaw movement in the end, starting from 640sec ... that uncommanded rotation suggests that this have another reason than a pilot mistakenly using full stick commands in Sport mode, something else is going on.

View attachment 106584

If we then compare the differences in GPS & IMU velocities from the same time we also see that a big deviation start up in parallel with that uncommanded movement ...

View attachment 106585

View attachment 106586

Would really like to look into the mobile device .DAT log for this flight ... it's the one ending with FLY054.DAT
sweet thanks for looking at this everyone! the .DAT file is at the link below

really appreciate everyone's help!

should be in there now! thanks for walking me through things :)
To me this looks like the used & active IMU1 failed ...

As a uncommanded Yaw movement was discovered in the .TXT log I've chosen to bring up everything that reads off Yaw to see which one that deviate from the others. In the chart you see IMUYaw (red), magYaw (Blue, compass), VIOYaw (green, downward sensors sensing rotations, choppy due to flying over water) & the Gyro (Purple). Added the rudder commands (Brown) & IMU0 (black)for comparison also.

During the whole flight you had a disagreement between IMUYaw & magYaw up to approx 30 degrees ... that shouldn't be any major problem though. But at 639sec something major happens, the IMU indicate a big turn which is uncommanded as we don't see any rudder commands there. Checking the magYaw, VIOYaw, Gyro & IMU0 there, indicate that no turn was made ...

As the IMU from 639sec doesn't know the correct heading direction it would have counteracted with the wrong motors to keep position ... very alike a flyaway coming from a Yaw error due to a take off from a magnetic disturbed spot.

Can't say if the IMU are irreversible broken or if this was a computational error but we can see that the IMU misbehaved earlier also ... at 475sec for instance. So my bet is that IMU isn't healthy.

1593882844436.png

View attachment 106584

View attachment 106585

View attachment 106586

Some one smart enough to answer the man question with honesty . My hats off to you sir

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54