DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Time with DJI

peterc4

Reactions
Hi All, just a quick bit of history of my time with DJI.

Not complaining but can anybody else relate to my history any comments appreciated

Purchased my first Mavic pro when it came out (Sep 2016) went back to DJI twice first time was for the remote controller loosing reception that was repaired on care, the second time it fell from the sky in front of me and was badly damaged here is where I went wrong I was going on holiday 2 weeks later so accepted care so I would have it back for my holidays and was charged £75 when I got back of holiday tried to retrieve my money but was told I had admitted fault through accepting care lesson learned.

Decided then to try a Mavic Air so ordered on pre order that then went back as it would not fly further than 600 feet repaired on care sold after 6 months and pre ordered Mavic Pro 2 that went back after 6 months as gimble would not stay stable when flying side wards repaired on care then the biggie in April (2020) smart controller screen went grey lost connection and never seen it again see link Fly Away with dji having none of it ended up getting 30% of a new one.

Sold Mavic pro 2 April 2021 sick to death of swelling batteries and bought an Air 2s as it had a 1 inch sensor very impressed had it a month now will be going when Mavic 3 comes out.

So that is my DJI history from Sep 2016 to the present day not a particularly good one, would love to hear of similar histories.

You may say why do you keep buying DJI 2 reasons they take great pics and fit in my bag a treat.

I’ve been flying DJI drones since the Phantom 1 was released in the UK, and I’ve never had an issue with a single one of them. I’ll agree with range on the Air v1 was a bit pants, but 600m was too far to keep in line of sight anyway.

The Mini2 is now the best drone I’ve ever owned.

So, from Phantom to Mini2 the technology leaps have been amazing. Maybe I’m just lucky?

I’ve been flying DJI drones since the Phantom 1 was released in the UK, and I’ve never had an issue with a single one of them. I’ll agree with range on the Air v1 was a bit pants, but 600m was too far to keep in line of sight anyway.

So, from Phantom to Mini2 the technology leaps have been amazing. Maybe I’m just lucky?
Good to hear how often do you fly

Started with the Phantom 4 Pro lost that to a fly away when the hawk hit it. DJI Replaced with 100 % coupon
Bought the Second Phantom 4 Pro lost that to another fly away and they Replaced again with 100% Coupon

Lost the Phantom 4 when it sank into the Lake , Pilot Error
Lost the Second Phantom 4 went into the Lake, Pilot Error

Purchased the Mavic 2 Zoom : and the Mavic 2 Pro but the Zoom became the Go to as the Zoom was fun to use while flying. No batteries issues .

Purchased the Mini but was very Disappointed and sold and let that go.

Came back and got the Mini 2 and keep that in the Car .

Got the Air 2 and that was a game changer as it was the perfect balance I was looking for when I got the First Mini

Got the Air 2S and Decided to Sell the Mavic 2 Pro .

It was a rough start but it has gotten better and better and Super Excited about the Mavic 3 .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Started with the Phantom 4 Pro lost that to a fly away when the hawk hit it. DJI Replaced with 100 % coupon
Bought the Second Phantom 4 Pro lost that to another fly away and they Replaced again with 100% Coupon

Purchased the Mavic 2 Zoom : and the Mavic 2 Pro but the Zoom became the Go to as the Zoom was fun to use while flying. No batteries issues .

Got the Air 2 and that was a game changer as it was the perfect balance I was looking for when I got the First Mini

It was a rough start but it has gotten better and better and Super Excited about the Mavic 3 .

Phantomrain.org

Phantomrain.org
Good stuff, same as mate looking forward to the 3

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Started with a FC40 and just moved up when I could. Did a lot of
modding with the Phantoms but none needed with the Mavics.
Not had any issues with the apps or firmwares and always stayed up to date. Am retired and fly probably more than most.
Next drone will be ?
DJI .

i must be lucky started with a PH3 2018,then managed to get a MPP brand new at a very good price which i still have ,and fly as often as covid and the weather allows ,towards the latter part of 2018,then i received a MM as a present when they first came out direct from DJI which is still flying ,touch wood no crashes ,or problems with any of them up to now ,and i hope if i am still fit enough to fly in the future ,as i am able to do now ,then my next drone will be a C rated drone for the new rules that are now in force in the UK

Not complaining but can anybody else relate to my history any comments appreciated

Purchased my first Mavic pro when it came out (Sep 2016) went back to DJI twice first time was for the remote controller loosing reception that was repaired on care, the second time it fell from the sky in front of me and was badly damaged here is where I went wrong I was going on holiday 2 weeks later so accepted care so I would have it back for my holidays and was charged £75 when I got back of holiday tried to retrieve my money but was told I had admitted fault through accepting care lesson learned.

Decided then to try a Mavic Air so ordered on pre order that then went back as it would not fly further than 600 feet repaired on care sold after 6 months and pre ordered Mavic Pro 2 that went back after 6 months as gimble would not stay stable when flying side wards repaired on care then the biggie in April (2020) smart controller screen went grey lost connection and never seen it again see link Fly Away with dji having none of it ended up getting 30% of a new one.

Sold Mavic pro 2 April 2021 sick to death of swelling batteries and bought an Air 2s as it had a 1 inch sensor very impressed had it a month now will be going when Mavic 3 comes out.

So that is my DJI history from Sep 2016 to the present day not a particularly good one, would love to hear of similar histories.

You may say why do you keep buying DJI 2 reasons they take great pics and fit in my bag a treat.
I have had just the opposite experience. I’m flying my fifth DJI drone, Mavic Pro Platinum, and have not had a single issue with ANY of them. Luck of the draw I guess.

I have a Mavic Pro 2 and a mavic air, when DJI first release these drones. I have been flying them almost everyday. I have use them for DSAR training, business jobs...all types....I fly my Mavic Pro 2 almost everyday earning money for home inspections, rental property, businesses, etc. earning money.

I have flown over water, in michicain "Great Lakes", North Carolina, Alabama, Indiana, and several other places with these drones.

I have almost close to 70 hours on both drones combined, and never had a accident or mishap with either drones. these are my original DJI drones.

Must be a UK thing - just kidding! Got my first DJI - Mini. Flew it till I ran it into a bridge and watched it drop into deep water - so no retrieval. Got a replacement from DJI at cost. Not flown since got it almost 2 months after dealing with DJI email support. Had hoped to fly it in Europe, but those trips keep getting pushed back. Maybe 2022.

Bought the Air2 about a a year ago. No real issues. I have seen it drift once or twice on it's own, but was able to catch it (VLOS does help) before it went wonky and crashed. It has hit several tree limbs and recovered very nicely - I still have it. Fly pretty often, esp in tight areas like waterfalls with no issues other than being an old pilot with shaky hands.

Waiting to see what is new from DJI - did not care for the FPV or it's price tag and not enough real difference between the Air2 and Air2S to splurge on it either.

I have been flying drones for a very long time. All of them have been DJI starting with the Phantom 3 Standard (sold). I owned a Phantom 3 Pro (sold), Phantom 4 Standard (sold), Phantom 4 Pro, Phantom 4 Pro v2, Inspire 2 (sold), Mavic 2 Zoom.

The only problem I've had with any of them is the I2. The landing gear stopped going up. DJI repaired free of charge. Any other issues were on me :)

Sound like you’ve had your share of Issues with DJI products.. I would be lowing If a said I never had an issue with all my DJI product alone it most contributed to operator armor still flying with new tech comes some growing pains as our world gets smaller by the day it seem to personally feels like the end is near ... let just injoy what we have and by filming as much as possible will alway can look back of flights we had after the fun stops

...... cR

Reactions: old man mavic
Well, I used to fly as part of my job, but due to a change in circumstances I in,y fly for fun now, so a couple of times a week.

Reactions: old man mavic
  • Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have been flying DJI products for over 4 years, both my own recreationally and at work as a LEO. Started on a P3P at work. My first drone was a P4, which I still fly and am impressed with. Between work and my own I have flown every prosumer drone since the P3P up to the Enterprise Advanced we took delivery of a couple of weeks ago.

I have made almost every mistake a drone pilot can make and have been very lucky. Never had a fly away or lost a drone. Two crashes - one into my house the first time I tried DJI goggles with a MP, the other during a training exercise when I set the controller down for a P4 and it fell over, sending it into the trees before I could get to it. Only damage in either incident was the props.

We try to keep our batteries fully charged and have encountered lots of swollen Mavic Enterprise batteries that we just replace. We have a number of officers that carry MM ones or twos and can quickly respond if a high view or pictures are required urgently. We have a number of other drones including the Enterprises series, P4P, and Mavic Air 2. We have had a number of success stories utilizing drones that resulted in a quick body recovery or threat assessment.

Every time I fly I continue to be amazed at the advances in technology, for the price. I think that we are still just scratching the surface in relation to where drone technology is going.

I have just over 300 hours of flying time in and do not plan on slowing down any time soon. My go to drones right now are my own M2P and the new MEA, but I have to say that I am very impressed with the MM2 to date.

I am grateful to this forum for all I have learned from the member’s posts over the last several years.

Next week I will be instructing a batch of new pilots at work and hopefully I can pass on some wisdom and they will enjoy flying as much as I do.

Last edited:

Ditto.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan