DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need a tablet... what to get.

Gunnerbill

Reactions
Ok everyone, Hello , Merry Xmas. This question has to have been asked so many times... your all probably saying
"Another one !!! :-("

I just joined today, And know nothing. which is probably a good thing because I would be an old dog that can be taught new tricks. I have a Mavic Pro Platinum w/Goggles

So, I have to say, I am anti-Apple. I have always been IBM/Windows type persons. But maybe that's because I don't know enough about apple products. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro(Windows RT), but I have found it can't be used with the DJI Go 4. (Just my luck), Cant use my phone, It is a PCS cheepie... not enough memory to use DJI Go 4

So, I need a tablet. the bigger, the better. Hell, I'm already I'm already 2K(+) into this hobby, whats alittle more. As long as it makes the expense amazing!! I was looking at Androids(Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2, 32gb) and saw there was alot of problems, Then I started looking at the (Apple 12.9" iPad Pro with Retina Display Wi-Fi 256GB (Latest Model) Will this work for me... The tablet has to be big(so 12" viewing is fine). I"ll have to teach the wife, and her vision is not as they use to be.

What is your thoughts?

Last edited:
Ok everyone, Hello , Merry Xmas. This question has to have been asked so many times... your all probably saying
"Another one !!! :-("

I just joined today, And know nothing. which is probably a good thing because I would be an old dog that can be taught new tricks. I have a Mavic Pro Platinum w/Goggles

So, I have to say, I am anti-Apple. I have always been IBM/Windows type persons. But maybe that's because I don't know enough about apple products. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro(Windows RT), but I have found it can't be used with the DJI Go 4. (Just my luck), Cant use my phone, It is a PCS cheepie... not enough memory to use DJI Go 4

So, I need a tablet. the bigger, the better. ****, I'm already I'm already 2K(+) into this hobby, whats alittle more. As long as it makes the expense amazing!! I was looking at Androids(Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2, 32gb) and saw there was alot of problems, Then I started looking at the (Apple 12.9" iPad Pro with Retina Display Wi-Fi 256GB (Latest Model) Will this work for me... The tablet has to be big(so 12" viewing is fine). I"ll have to teach the wife, and her vision is not as they use to be.

What is your thoughts?
get Nvidia Shield Tablet

Reactions: Seanjo
I think its a great choice if you have the scratch!
Although you will need a tablet holder that will accommodate a large tablet like that and adapt it to the Mavic Pro Platinum's Remote Controller. Those big screens are great , but can get top heavy depending on how you mount it.

A lanyard attachment would be good as well so that if one dropped the remote and tablet it would just hang on by the lanyard strap.

While NVidia Shield K1 tablet is a bulletproof option the screen is going to be considerably smaller than the 12.9 inch screen you were contemplating and the screen brightness leaves alot to be desired on high sun and lots of glare days.

Also the 12.9 inch Ipad Pro has a washed out screen in comparison to the 9.7 inch Ipad Pro. See here iPad Pro 12.9" Screen Darker When Compared to i... | Official Apple Support Communities

You want as much brightness as possible so that you can view the telemetry and live video display. Its super important not to loose track of the image from the camera.

That is some awesome advise. Thank you everyone. Tried to research a Hood/shade, could not find one but easy enough to make

Last edited:
I hate Apple. I have a Windows 10 Dell desktop computer and have always owned Android phones (Samsung Galaxies for the foreseeable future.)

That said, I’ve always begrudgingly had iPad tablets. They work flawlessly and DJI seems to do a better job coding Go for iOS.

I just replaced my 4-year-old iPad Air with a 10.5-inch iPad Pro. It has the brightest screen I’ve seen on a tablet (600 nits), which makes it much easier to use for flying a drone.

I love these shades. They come in various sizes to fit whichever device you have, ranging from smartphones up to 12.9-inch iPad Pros.

PGYTECH Remote Controller Phone Monitor Sun hood Sunshade Cover Hood Smartphone Tablet iPad Sun Shade for DJI Mavic pro Phantom 4 pro Inspire M600 OSMO products (L168, Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WV87KD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_DFTpAbJS612VT

Just got it (
IRCtek Black L270mm Pad Monitor Sun hood Sunshade for DJI Spark / Mavic Pro / Phantom 3/4 Inspire M600 Romote Controller and OSMO, Support ipad 12.9") thank you

Reactions: Mr. Salty
get Nvidia Shield Tablet
Well I don't like apple either, but in this case I would to apple mini. Right prices are way down. And I know Best Buy you can get an extra 15 to % off on open box. But probably cheaper on line. The color is great and viewing is one of the ntops.

Ok, went to get the IPAD Pro 12.9 (I took my Drone controller monitor bracket with me), it didn't fit the bracket, so I downgraded to the 10.5 pro 512gb. All I have to say is I hope that tablet last awhile. Going thru and setting it up now.

Ok, went to get the IPAD Pro 12.9 (I took my Drone controller monitor bracket with me), it didn't fit the bracket, so I downgraded to the 10.5 pro 512gb. All I have to say is I hope that tablet last awhile. Going thru and setting it up now.

Smart Man. Last thing you want it a tablet you cannot mount or use.
Plus you get a brighter screen that is not washed out.

Post up pictures of it all mounted with the sunshade. :)

My iPad Air lasted me more than four years. It still works, it’s just gotten a little laggy after the last couple of versions of iOS.

Not sure what is happening, But tried to install DJI Assistant on the Ipad Pro (ios11), I can download it but it will not install? Any ideas ?

Not sure what is happening, But tried to install DJI Assistant on the Ipad Pro (ios11), I can download it but it will not install? Any ideas ?
DJI Assistant is for a laptop or desktop computer, Windows or OSX. It doesn't install on an iPad.

I tried an iPad 9.7with a Mavmount. Great large pic but very top heavy. Then tried an iiPad mini 4 in the controller arms- love it! Not as big as a 9.7 iPad but feels good in the hands and balanced. So having used both I’m partial to the mini 4.

Reactions: Mugginz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
albestinspections